Nam greybeards

Nam war looked like a war machine that coulnt beat a ragtag bunch of guerillas in pajamas

Remember the excuse for viet Nam?

That so terrifying DOMINO THEORY?

Remember how SE asia would have been commie if the NV beat SV?

Well gueswhat? That was that was nothingh but a load of right wing crank anticommie bullshit, eh?

Foreign Trade - U.S. Trade with Vietnam

Everything about that war was a great big fat LIE, folks.

Vietnam was not a war and we neither won nor lost.

There was no good reason for our troops being there and the compromising circumstances under which they were forced to function amounted to shameful misuse of our military resources. I was part of the protest movement which ultimately forced an end to that debacle and I am glad to have done that.

You know, I have heard quite a few Americans say Vietnam was not a war but a police action, does anyone know if the Vietnamese felt the same way about this? I am pretty damn sure they considered the American interventions in Vietnam a war.
You can be sure they considered the American presence there to be an unwanted military aggression -- just as you would consider the presence of an invading force of Vietnamese military in your home town.

I would consider an invading force of Vietnamese in my city as an act of war, not a police action.

Nam war looked like a war machine that coulnt beat a ragtag bunch of guerillas in pajamas

Those guerillas in pajamas would make you their bitch in less than 2 seconds faggot, now shut the fuck up and stop disrespecting Veterans you draft dodging cum gargling piece of shit.:evil:

You know, I have heard quite a few Americans say Vietnam was not a war but a police action, does anyone know if the Vietnamese felt the same way about this? I am pretty damn sure they considered the American interventions in Vietnam a war.
You can be sure they considered the American presence there to be an unwanted military aggression -- just as you would consider the presence of an invading force of Vietnamese military in your home town.

I would consider an invading force of Vietnamese in my city as an act of war, not a police action.
The Vietnamese were at war. The United States was not. The U.S. Government had deployed some of its military resources to that country to interfere with its civil war.

It assuredly was an act of war in accordance with International Law -- which the United States does not acknowledge. If it did, George W. Bush, along with many of his conspirators, would be in prison, or worse.

That was "TOTAL WAR" and the rationing was useless as it turned out. However, the scale was certainly much greater. But, if you want to play a niggling little game, just calculate the number of casualties suffered during WWII based on the amount of people actually involved at the sharp end of the stick vs the same metrics in Vietnam.

You will discover something interesting.
I would discover that a hell of a lot of American lives were sacrificed for no reason other than ego gratification of a number of elitist sonsabitches in Washington who had the power to send them to their deaths to further their own political ambitions.

That was "TOTAL WAR" and the rationing was useless as it turned out. However, the scale was certainly much greater. But, if you want to play a niggling little game, just calculate the number of casualties suffered during WWII based on the amount of people actually involved at the sharp end of the stick vs the same metrics in Vietnam.

You will discover something interesting.
I would discover that a hell of a lot of American lives were sacrificed for no reason other than ego gratification of a number of elitist sonsabitches in Washington who had the power to send them to their deaths to further their own political ambitions.

And become immensly wealthy. When LBJ left office most defence work for the WAR was being done in Texas. he made out like a fucking bandit and thousands of our young people died so he could make a buck. He and his whole cabinet are a bunch of cocksuckers.

Yes, and we Dems essentially forced not to run for a second term. But you 'Conservatives' were two nutless to do the same for George W.

Yes, and we Dems essentially forced not to run for a second term. But you 'Conservatives' were two nutless to do the same for George W.

Us Dems did nothing of the sort Batman. He decided that the campaign would be too difficult because he was such an unpopular prick and the Republicans had ammo out the ass to make him look like a fool. He quit because he knew there was a damned good chance he would lose and it would drain his campaign fund.

Bush and Co. weren't my friends knucklehead. I didn't vote for him the first time around, though I did the second. I tend to vote Libertarian.

glad I wasnt one of them

lost the war

drunk-urinal.jpg

There's a 50-50 chance you'll regret your post in the morning.

glad I wasnt one of them

lost the war

Proud to be one of them! I have a few good memories, and a lot of bad ones, but when my grandson asks, "Grandpa, what did you do in Vietnam?', I DON'T have to say, "Well, I sat on my ass at home, and let someone else do my fighting for me."

Incidentally, we WON on the battlefield; it was the civilians who managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

From what I remember, American lives were snatched from the meatgrinder of a failed policy. It should never have been pursued, if invading the North wasn't an option.
Invading the North wasn't an option due to liberals wanting to lose the war. They were more loyal to the Communist Party than they were to America.

The Americans have not won a single war.
WW2 - won the Soviet Union. Vietnam - America lost, the same thing in Iraq and Afghanistan. Even Cuba has not been able to overcome.
The American army - inflated bubble.
Countries have nuclear weapons, Russia, China, India and Iran will soon not worry, Americans do not turn up there.
Hey, asshole, when I want your opinion...well, I don't know what I'll do. I can't imagine ever wanting your opinion. :confused:

The simple truth of the matter is that your judgement of the matter was then, and remains, meaningless. Such decisions were simply not your job nor were you privy to much of the information shared by those who really were involved in such decession making. You're on some kind of ego trip.
What you perceive as my ego trip is actually a symptom of your delusional ignorance and vain need to think of yourself as some kind of war hero, when in fact you were one of many unfortunate young Americans who were forced by an incompetent and corrupt government into participating in a military aggression which our military had absolutely no business being involved in. Now that it's over and you managed to survive you willingly and eagerly allow yourself to be duped into thinking you served your country when in fact you served a bunch of conniving Washington politicians and, above all, the emerging Military Industrial Complex that reaped handsome profits from every bullet you fired and every bomb our planes dropped.

I don't expect you to believe me because my opinion is easy for you to overrule. But if you had any genuine interest in finding out the truth behind your ordeal in Vietnam you would read Robert McNamara's book, In Retrospect. He was the man responsible for sending you, along with the 58,000 killed and countless who were maimed, into that unnecessary madness. If you had read that book you would remember the following paragraph:

(Excerpt)

"We of the Kennedy and Johnson administrations who participated in the decisions on Vietnam acted according to what we thought were the principles and traditions of this nation. We made our decisions in light of those values. Yet we were wrong, terribly wrong. We owe it to future generations to explain why. I truly believe that we made an error not of values and intentions, but of judgment and capabilities."

If you don't wish to read the book you can find that quote in Noam Chomsky's assessment of McNamara's debacle here: Robert McNamara, by Noam Chomsky (Excerpted from Class Warfare)

Draft dodgers and/or deserters are ideed cowards of the slimest sort. They are willing to accept the bennies of being a US citizen without admiting the resonsibities. If I had not felt this way when my draft notice arrived, my life-and the lives of others- would certainly have been very diferent.
If you were drafted during the earliest stages of the Vietnam "conflict" your ignorance was excusable. But as that wholly unnecessary fiasco escalated and anyone with half a brain could figure out that we had no business there it's your own fault if you were deluded by the Gung-Ho bullshit. Because the people you were fighting had done absolutely nothing to your country and they represented absolutely no threat to us. They were engaged in a civil war which was none of our business.

I joined the Marine Corps in 1956. I did so for the most sincerely patriotic reason. If my Country needed me I was willing to fight and to die, if necessary. At that time I would not have believed my Country would send me into harm's way for some misguided, unnecessary, bullshit reason. Luckily I had fulfilled my military obligation by the time Vietnam got going. But if I hadn't I would have done everything I could to avoid the draft, up to and including going to Canada.

While I was ready to fight and die for my Country I was not ready to fight and die for Robert McNamara. If you were, that is your problem.
Just so you know, Chomsky is an America-hating liar. Any post that cites him is suitable for nothing but immediate dismissal and scorn.

"values and intentions" and "judgment and capabilities"? ~ I understand values and intentions cause judgement to be wrong. I have to stop and honor the VietNam veteran. Thank-you for your service to our country and thanks for leading us through the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and having our backs at the same time.
What you fail to understand is your patronizing expression of gratitude tends to perpetuate the mistaken notion that the fighting in Vietnam somehow served the interests of our Nation when in fact the opposite is true. You might as well thank Robert McNamara for his "service to our country." After all, if it weren't for him we might never have had the opportunity to kill 58,000 of our young men and cripple tens of thousands more -- for no good reason.

While Vietnam veterans deserve our sympathy for being exploited by a corrupt and incompetent government the only entity who has a valid reason to express gratitude for the unnecessary ordeal our troops suffered in Vietnam is the Military Industrial Complex. The problem with assuming a subjectively grateful public posture is it enables repetitions of the same kind of unnecessary military aggressions like Iraq and Afghanistan.

Try examining the situation objectively and see it for what it is, not what you'd like it to be.
Your sympathy for the poor Communists oppressed by America is more convincing that your sympathy for American veterans.

The Vietnamese were at war. The United States was not. The U.S. Government had deployed some of its military resources to that country to interfere with its civil war.

It assuredly was an act of war in accordance with International Law -- which the United States does not acknowledge. If it did, George W. Bush, along with many of his conspirators, would be in prison, or worse.
Funny how you refuse to mention any Democrats, like LBJ and Obama, as war criminals.

And by "funny", I mean "intellectually dishonest and pretty damn pathetic".

Forum List

Back