Nam greybeards

glad I wasnt one of them

lost the war

Proud to be one of them! I have a few good memories, and a lot of bad ones, but when my grandson asks, "Grandpa, what did you do in Vietnam?', I DON'T have to say, "Well, I sat on my ass at home, and let someone else do my fighting for me."

Incidentally, we WON on the battlefield; it was the civilians who managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Who do we blame? LBJ set up the Gulf of Tonkin "crisis" and the left supported it because LBJ used to be on JFK's team. Johnson set up a new way of waging war. Americans would fly into battle on helicopters, beat the shit out of the enemy and then turn over the hard won real estate the next day. Americans would learn to drink beer and relax for a while and then fly into battle and what was left would drink beer until the next battle until their year was up and the next group of recruits would do the same thing. When the US finally defeated the enemy after Tet another liberal voice entered the fray. Walter Cronkite flew to VietNam, put on a helmet and flack vest and pretended he was in combat for the cameras and pronounced the Tet victory as a "stalemate". Cronkite told Americans that the US didn't win a victory after all. After Cronkite's "scoop" the VC won a propaganda victory and LBJ tearfully told Americans that he quit and would not run for another term just when Americans needed leadership. Chaos reigned when Nixon was elected .

Last edited:
glad I wasnt one of them

lost the war

Proud to be one of them! I have a few good memories, and a lot of bad ones, but when my grandson asks, "Grandpa, what did you do in Vietnam?', I DON'T have to say, "Well, I sat on my ass at home, and let someone else do my fighting for me."

Incidentally, we WON on the battlefield; it was the civilians who managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

From what I remember, American lives were snatched from the meatgrinder of a failed policy. It should never have been pursued, if invading the North wasn't an option.

glad I wasnt one of them

lost the war

lol. You are living proof that civilians can be losers too. If you never try you can never lose; or win.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

- Teddy Roosevelt.

I'm 50. Too young for Vietnam and too old for the 9/11 wars. Never been in the military. Anybody who puts down any veteran of any war is a chicken shit in my book. It's the sleazeball politicians who send them, and fortunately there are men and women with the cajones doing the dirty work...while the rest of us go shopping.

You're better man than I, Gunga Din...to quote Rudyard Kipling

Last edited:
glad I wasnt one of them

lost the war

asshole LOSERS IMO

Rolling Thunder................................

Nam vets do too much grandstandding.

You are an asshole.... those guys served with pride, and they kicked ass and took numbers!

It was the jerks in DC that let them down.

Sounds to me like you are, or would have been, one the fuksticks spitting on them when they returned.

I say FUCK YOU and the donkey you rode in on!

You punk!

glad I wasnt one of them

lost the war

asshole LOSERS IMO

Rolling Thunder................................

Nam vets do too much grandstandding.

You are an asshole.... those guys served with pride, and they kicked ass and took numbers!

It was the jerks in DC that let them down.

Sounds to me like you are, or would have been, one the fuksticks spitting on them when they returned.

I say FUCK YOU and the donkey you rode in on!

You punk!

I was almost one of them. Born 1953.

Don't disrespect their service - just their grandstandding and complaining afterwards.

They got their own War memorial - DECADES before the long overdue World War 2 memorial was even in the planning-stages.

Forum List

Back