NAFTA "The leverage is all with the president.” Pence Priebus gloating in 2017

Are Canada and Mexico Quaking in Their Boots? What happened to Trump's advantage on NAFTA?

• What?

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No one takes Trump seriously

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Canada and Mexico hace caved in

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JBvM

VIP Member
Jun 7, 2018
... ... ...
Great quotes

When Trump became president, these threats sparked concern around the world, leading foreign leaders to try to discern how to mollify the new leader. Canada and Mexico agreed to renegotiate NAFTA under the threat of withdrawal from Trump, but they have recently joined forces in resisting his demands; the process has stalled. Last year, when White House threats to withdraw hit a fever pitch, his top advisers made clear that they felt he was in the strongest position to demand changes.

“The president has put himself in a perfect position on NAFTA because folks know he’s inclined [to be] negative on NAFTA, yet he’s open to negotiating,” then-Chief of Staff Reince Priebus told The Washington Post at the time. “It’s a good spot to be. The leverage is all with the president.”

- WAPO

What happened?

President Donald Trump was set to announce Saturday, on the 100th day of his presidency, that he was withdrawing from the North American Free Trade Agreement - the sort of disruptive proclamation that would upend both global and domestic politics and signal to his base that he was keeping his campaign promise to terminate what he once called "a total disaster" and "one of the worst deals ever."

"I was all set to terminate," Trump said in an Oval Office interview Thursday night. "I looked forward to terminating. I was going to do it."
- Chicago Tribune

What happened and is the check from Mexico to build the wall still in the mail?

and is this true? "Congress has repeatedly rebuffed Trump’s demands for $25 billion in funding for a border wall, despite his demands that the money was needed as part of any budget deal, immigration discussion or to allow immigrant children to reunify with their parents."

I thought everything was going to be easy for Trump

Dipshit poster is dipshit. OP is a dipshit. :dunno:

Not much more else to say. Congratulations, you're a tard.

Great quotes

When Trump became president, these threats sparked concern around the world, leading foreign leaders to try to discern how to mollify the new leader. Canada and Mexico agreed to renegotiate NAFTA under the threat of withdrawal from Trump, but they have recently joined forces in resisting his demands; the process has stalled. Last year, when White House threats to withdraw hit a fever pitch, his top advisers made clear that they felt he was in the strongest position to demand changes.

“The president has put himself in a perfect position on NAFTA because folks know he’s inclined [to be] negative on NAFTA, yet he’s open to negotiating,” then-Chief of Staff Reince Priebus told The Washington Post at the time. “It’s a good spot to be. The leverage is all with the president.”

- WAPO

What happened?

President Donald Trump was set to announce Saturday, on the 100th day of his presidency, that he was withdrawing from the North American Free Trade Agreement - the sort of disruptive proclamation that would upend both global and domestic politics and signal to his base that he was keeping his campaign promise to terminate what he once called "a total disaster" and "one of the worst deals ever."

"I was all set to terminate," Trump said in an Oval Office interview Thursday night. "I looked forward to terminating. I was going to do it."
- Chicago Tribune

Trump appears to think he can treat the whole world as if they're cash-strapped subcontractors. I don't think that's going to work.

Donnie Dealmaker has accomplished nothing in getting us better deals

Like in the TPP, they just went ahead without us and the US is on the outside looking in

Trump had to come to the same conclusion Obama did... the legislative branch has been rendered useless. It is irrevocably and completely corrupt and has no will to govern.
So, like during Obama's years... if anything is going to happen, it will be him and only him to do it. Problem with that is, he can't without legislative approval and appropriation.

Trump had to come to the same conclusion Obama did... the legislative branch has been rendered useless. It is irrevocably and completely corrupt and has no will to govern.
So, like during Obama's years... if anything is going to happen, it will be him and only him to do it. Problem with that is, he can't without legislative approval and appropriation.

Congress tried to give Trump what he wanted in immigration legislating, but he kept moving the goalposts. Unlike Obama, Trump doesn't have an opposition Congress, he has a supine Congress. Also, unlike Obama, Trump appears to lack interest in solving problems - preferring to keep them alive as campaign issues or faux-conflict for TV attention.

If you want to see the difference in action, see where Merrick Garland and Neil Gorsuch are today.

Watch and learn.

Do you think it's going to be as easy as Trump said it would be to provide healthcare coverage for everyone at a tiny fraction of the cost of Obamacare? To date, we've seen the exact same evidence.

Not a mandate of the federal government in any case.

Who is going to fight Trump's trade wars? County governments?

Foreign trade is a mandate of the Executive branch.

Watch and learn.

Do you think it's going to be as easy as Trump said it would be to provide healthcare coverage for everyone at a tiny fraction of the cost of Obamacare? To date, we've seen the exact same evidence.

Actually tariffs are subject to the authority of Congress, except for reasons of national security - fraudulently claimed by Trump, and cowardly surrendered by the current corrupt Congress.

Watch and learn.

Actually tariffs are subject to the authority of Congress

Of course they are, which is why Trump effectively applied them. :auiqs.jpg:

Are you weaponizing your stupidity, by trying to pretend you didn't read the rest of the sentence?

Are you weaponizing your stupidity, by trying to pretend you didn't read the rest of the sentence?

I merely answered the relevant part of your post, and discarded the nonsense.

No, you didn't. You tried to cover your ignorance of the fact that Trump is asserting a national security threat to usurp Congressional authority. That Congress permits it is not to its credit.

No, you didn't.

Yes, I did. See?

Forum List

Back