Nader is not seen as factor

CNN — ANDERSON COOPER 360 DEGREES — Aired February 25, 2008 - 22:00 ET

ANDERSON COOPER, CNN ANCHOR: Ralph Nader turns 74 on Wednesday. Tonight, the consumer advocate and politician is getting plenty of attention after deciding to run for president again. You can be sure the announcement is not going over well with many in the Democratic Party.

Ralph Nader is, of course, the man many Democrats love to hate and blame. To this day, some believe he cost them the 2000 election, a charge he vigorously denies.

In a blog entry he wrote for us today, Mr. Nader called his health care policy, which is a pillar of his campaign, a no-brainer. Is the campaign itself?

Let's ask him. Ralph Nader joins me now from Washington.

Thanks for being with us, Mr. Nader.

NADER: Thank you, Anderson.

COOPER: This is your — your third major run for president. What made you decide to get into the race?

NADER: Well, the country is being brought down by a combination of big business controlling big government.

You saw the follow-up on Katrina, billions of dollars flowing from Washington to these corporations. And look at the wreckage that still occurs there. I think the Hollywood Oscars are getting more publicity than 300,000 preventable American deaths a year, occupational safety and disease, auto deaths on the highway, pollution deaths from the environment, hospital malpractice, hospital-induced infections.

COOPER: And, so, running for...

NADER: We have got to get serious. We have to get serious.

COOPER: So — so, running for president gets these issues on television time?

NADER: Yes, exactly.

I mean, look at the drug industry. They're subsidized by the treasury called taxpayers. They're given tax-funded discovered drugs free. They fought successfully banning Uncle Sam from bargaining for volume discount for drugs for millions of Americans.

Then they fight a single-payer health plan, which would have regulated the price of drugs. And what do they do when they get coddled and subsidized? They hit the sick Americans with the highest drug prices in the world. They don't dare charge those prices for the same drugs in Mexico or Canada.

We have to get serious, Anderson.

COOPER: Even some of your supporters, folks who have — have followed you for years...

NADER: Yes.

COOPER: ... and even worked for you, say you should not be running.

James Fallows at "The Atlantic Monthly," who used to work for you — he's a big admirer — he wrote today a piece. He said he was — he was very critical of your decision to run for president.

I want to read you some of what he said. He said: "That he stayed in the race in 2000 was tragedy. See invasion of Iraq, 2003, and subsequent occupation. That he came back in 2004 was unfortunate. His entry in 2008 is farce — farce because it suggests detachment from political reality. The differences between the Republican and Democratic candidates — nominees are so faint that we can say, what the hell, and, worse, narcissism. The fact that it won't make any difference in the outcome actually is sad."

Do you worry that your reputation will be tainted? I mean, all the things you have accomplished thus far, will — will people just see this as some farcical and narcissistic run?

NADER: I'm a fighter for justice, Anderson. When there's perennial injustice, you have got to keep going after it, whether inside the electoral arena, or getting progressive forces inside the Democratic Party to take over and replace the corporate Democrats.

We are full of solutions in this country that are on the shelf. They're not being applied to injustices, deprivations on the ground because of the democracy gap. That gap has got to be filmed by mobilized citizens in every congressional district, which is what our Web site is gathering day by day, VoteNader.org.

It's not just fund-raising from individuals. We don't take it from commercial interests or PACs. It's to bring serious people, to mount hardcore Congress watchdogs on Congress, to turn Congress around, so the government works for the people, instead of fights the people for the benefit of giant corporations.

(CROSSTALK)

NADER: I mean, we have a Congress the best money can buy, as Will Rogers said. And we have a president who is engaged in daily impeachable offenses.

COOPER: Is this...

NADER: And we have the American people left behind.

COOPER: Is this a real run? I mean, how much money, at this point, do you have? How much organization do you actually have?

NADER: Well, we just started. The money is pouring in from individuals. We got thousands of e-mail volunteers. We're going to aim to raise $10 million. We're very frugal. That's the equivalent of $30 million of what the major candidates misspent. And we're going to work on volunteers.

Here it is, America. If you really want to change things, this is your opportunity to do so. You're working with a 45-year-old veteran of achieving a lot of health and safety and economic well-being for you, showing that government can work if we jump on the back of government and throw the corporations into a position where they're our servants, not our master, as Thomas Jefferson envisioned many years ago, when he said representative government must curb the excesses of the moneyed interests.

COOPER: Mr. Nader, appreciate your time tonight. Thank you very much for being with us.

NADER: Thank you, Anderson.

-

Journalist Bob Herbert, writing for the New York Times 26 February 2008, wrote of Ralph Nader:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s owed thanks for seat belts and air bags and cars that hold the road better, that don’t flip or crumple up or catch fire as easily as earlier models. As the nation’s premier consumer advocate, he has waged war with remarkable success against tainted meat, air and water pollution and dangerous food additives. He was a major driving force behind the creation of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the Environmental Protection Agency and the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

The Freedom of Information Act? Thanks for your help, Ralph. Food-labeling that’s clear and informative? Thanks again. And, oh yes, it was Ralph Nader who fought for and won compensation for airline passengers bumped from overbooked flights.

Mr. Nader, who will turn 74 on Wednesday, either founded or inspired an astonishing array of public-spirited organizations and citizens’ groups, including the public interest research groups known as PIRGs. He’s waged titanic battles against corruption in government and the unchecked power of giant corporations. I could go on for a few more days, but you get the idea.

Journalist Bob Herbert, writing for the New York Times 26 February 2008, wrote of Ralph Nader:
He’s owed thanks for seat belts and air bags and cars that hold the road better, that don’t flip or crumple up or catch fire as easily as earlier models. As the nation’s premier consumer advocate, he has waged war with remarkable success against tainted meat, air and water pollution and dangerous food additives. He was a major driving force behind the creation of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the Environmental Protection Agency and the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

The Freedom of Information Act? Thanks for your help, Ralph. Food-labeling that’s clear and informative? Thanks again. And, oh yes, it was Ralph Nader who fought for and won compensation for airline passengers bumped from overbooked flights.

Mr. Nader, who will turn 74 on Wednesday, either founded or inspired an astonishing array of public-spirited organizations and citizens’ groups, including the public interest research groups known as PIRGs. He’s waged titanic battles against corruption in government and the unchecked power of giant corporations. I could go on for a few more days, but you get the idea.

In other words, most of what he has accomplished has been intrusions on my personal freedoms for what he thought was best for me.

Yeah, thanks Ralph ... love the seat belt and glad you ruined the Jeep.:evil:

In other words, most of what he has accomplished has been intrusions on my personal freedoms for what he thought was best for me.

I can't believe you are talking about intrusions into personal freedoms when your President has been leading a methodical dismantling of personal freedoms since he has been in office. PLEASE!

The only thing Nader will do is help a corrupt Liberal Republican get elected president.

For the 2nd time.

I'm starting to think this is INTENTIONAL on his part.

I can't believe you are talking about intrusions into personal freedoms when your President has been leading a methodical dismantling of personal freedoms since he has been in office. PLEASE!

Who is "my" President? I didn't realize I owned one. You might want to find out what you're running off at the mouth about before you attempt to.

Do you honestly believe that? If so, can you give me one example of a personal freedom of yours he has intruded upon?

Who is "my" President? I didn't realize I owned one. You might want to find out what you're running off at the mouth about before you attempt to.

Yup, he is yours and you should be very proud! :rofl:

Sounds like Nader is on the right side of the debate pretty often...

makes me wonder - through all his fights for seatbelts/food issues/etc - who was he fighting AGAINST? Was it corporate America? Was it elements of government who rubber-stamp corporate America's wishes?

Maybe not. maybe so. It is not unreasonable to expect big business to work toward its own profit, and when in conflict with potential public harm - to put profit first. Do you want a government that puts people first - or something else?

Yup, he is yours and you should be very proud! :rofl:

The President of the United States is no more nor less "my" President than he is any other US citizen's. Unless you are not a US citizen, he is as much YOUR President as he is mine.

The fact that he "is" President is as much a reflection on the lack of a viable alternative on election day as it is anyone voting "for" him. So if you want to play the blame game, you get 50% of it, jack.:cool:

I did. It's as simple as the seat belt, IF he is in fact responsible for it as was claimed previously.

I can't say I'm fully knowledgeable of all things Nader, but I always thought he was largely responsible for regulation requiring automobiles be equipped with seatbelts. I've never heard of him getting involved with making their use by you into a law. So next example please.

The President of the United States is no more nor less "my" President than he is any other US citizen's. Unless you are not a US citizen, he is as much YOUR President as he is mine.

The fact that he "is" President is as much a reflection on the lack of a viable alternative on election day as it is anyone voting "for" him. So if you want to play the blame game, you get 50% of it, jack.:cool:

So Clinton was your President, right?

I can't say I'm fully knowledgeable of all things Nader, but I always thought he was largely responsible for regulation requiring automobiles be equipped with seatbelts. I've never heard of him getting involved with making their use by you into a law. So next example please.

I'm not providing examples. Another poster did. If you take issue with his examples, feel free to address it to him.

Let's cut to the chase ... is it that you wish to debate whether or not Nader is a tree-hugging kook, or what?

So Clinton was your President, right?

He was my President and Commander in Chief. If Obama or Hillary get elected this time around, one of them will be my President.

I don't claim this Nation nor its leaders only when it suits my politics to do so, no matter how much I disagree with said politics.

I'm not providing examples. Another poster did. If you take issue with his examples, feel free to address it to him.

Let's cut to the chase ... is it that you wish to debate whether or not Nader is a tree-hugging kook, or what?

No. I'm challenging your assertion that he is responisible for your loss of personal freedoms. I thought I was pretty clear about that.

Edit: I just re-read the thread. Not a single example posted by anyone demonstrating how anything he has accomplished infringes on personal freedoms. You do know that selling any crappy pos to the public to turn a profit isn't actually a personal freedom, right?

No. I'm challenging your assertion that he is responisible for your loss of personal freedoms. I thought I was pretty clear about that.

Edit: I just re-read the thread. Not a single example posted by anyone demonstrating how anything he has accomplished infringes on personal freedoms. You do know that selling any crappy pos to the public to turn a profit isn't actually a personal freedom, right?

I haver already taken note that you like to play games with the term "personal freedoms."

The statement was made he was responsible for seat belts. Seat belts, and the laws that resulted from them since you wished to toss that in, infringe on my personal freedom to choose whether or not I wish to wear one.

I think I was pretty clear about THAT.

If I was claiming selling a POS to the public to turn a profit was a personal freedom I'd be inclined to defend it, but since I have not, I won't.

I haver already taken note that you like to play games with the term "personal freedoms."

The statement was made he was responsible for seat belts. Seat belts, and the laws that resulted from them since you wished to toss that in, infringe on my personal freedom to choose whether or not I wish to wear one.

I think I was pretty clear about THAT.

If I was claiming selling a POS to the public to turn a profit was a personal freedom I'd be inclined to defend it, but since I have not, I won't.

Okie dokie. If you can't see the difference between consumer product regulation and laws about your personal behavior, there's nothing I can say to break through the steel trap you've got sealing your mind closed.

The best thing about banging one's head against a wall is that it feels good when you stop. Mine is starting to feel better already.

Forum List

Back