Nader Dean have it out on NPR...

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,125253,00.html

Nader, Dean Debate 'Spoiler' Role of Third Party
Friday, July 09, 2004

WASHINGTON — The former sweetheart of the Democrats may be the party's best bet to neutralize the third party candidate in this year's presidential election.

On Friday, former Democratic presidential candidate Howard Dean (search) took on current independent candidate Ralph Nader (search) in an hour-long debate sponsored by National Public Radio. Dean said Nader's candidacy will result in President Bush's re-election, a curse for the public, according to Dean.

"The real problem is that people suffer from your candidacy should you take more votes" from John Kerry than from Bush, Dean said. Many Democrats blame Nader for taking votes from Al Gore in 2000 and tipping the Florida vote and the race to Bush.

But Nader repeatedly ridiculed Dean for jumping on the mainstream bandwagon.

"You were an insurgent who is now adopting a role of being a detergent of the dirty linen of the Democratic Party," Nader said. Dean, the former Vermont governor, made a name for himself in the primaries by attacking both Bush and the presumptive Democratic nominee on issues such as support for the war in Iraq.

Dean's arguments about Nader's spoiler status seemed to wash over Nader, who insisted that he is now the only remaining candidate who opposed the war.

Also a video of it for those interested. Politics to the core. If the people want to vote for Nader, let them vote. Democrats didn't have a problem when Perot ran.

But Nader repeatedly ridiculed Dean for jumping on the mainstream bandwagon.

"You were an insurgent who is now adopting a role of being a detergent of the dirty linen of the Democratic Party," Nader said. Dean, the former Vermont governor, made a name for himself in the primaries by attacking both Bush and the presumptive Democratic nominee on issues such as support for the war in Iraq.

I guess I have to give Nader credit for standing by his convictions. I guess it is true - the power elite of the left can't stand anybody that does what they say. Nader has stuck by his guns and now if the dems lose, it is his fault..... typical of their wanting to blame everything on everybody else while never accepting repsonsibility for their own actions.

i don't respect a man who takes donations from groups that are totally out of sync with his supposed beliefs or positions... imagine if it was revealed bush took contributions from George Soros or Barbra Streisand, the outpouring of anger and unhappiness would be severe.

nader is a sad, pathetic man who is a spoiler candidate, just like al sharpton.

if the dems were in power, i'm sure they'd be trying to do the same thing to bush if he were the challenger, send some guy like buchannan or forbes out there to be a spoiler and steal votes... hell didn't they sort of do that with perot in '92?

Originally posted by NATO AIR
i don't respect a man who takes donations from groups that are totally out of sync with his supposed beliefs or positions... imagine if it was revealed bush took contributions from George Soros or Barbra Streisand, the outpouring of anger and unhappiness would be severe.

if the dems were in power, i'm sure they'd be trying to do the same thing to bush if he were the challenger, send some guy like buchannan or forbes out there to be a spoiler and steal votes... hell didn't they sort of do that with perot in '92?

Ding ding. Its politics. They can dish it out but can't take it. Perot was a wildly popular choice because Bush I wasn't very conservative while Perot was touted as a conservative Candidate. He did better than any 3rd party candidate in modern history. I think he got about 23% of the vote. Clinton won the whole thing with 44%. So you do the math. Bush I would have still been in office had it not been for Perot.

You call Nader a sad, pathetic man. Others call him a consumer advocate(which he has been for the last 40 years) who has achieved much in the realm of consumer rights, open government, and more humane business practices.

What has Bush done for you lately?

Originally posted by nycflasher
You call Nader a sad, pathetic man. Others call him a consumer advocate(which he has been for the last 40 years) who has achieved much in the realm of consumer rights, open government, and more humane business practices.

What has Bush done for you lately?

Gave me a tax cut. Brought us out of a recession. Made the country safer for future generations. All pretty good things.

Originally posted by insein
By not ignoring Terrorism and passing it along to the next administrations.

Well, I'll give him that. But, after losing 3000+ Americans on 9-11 he had little choice. He has also put our country in debt and our young men in harms way for years to come.

I like Nader okay,but I wouldn't vote for him. Some of his ideas are too extreme for my taste. I do think he is very cool for taking a stand and not bowing down to the Democrats demands that he drop out. How dare those jerks try to take away his right to run,hypocrites. Always wanting to protect peoples rights,unless of course they get in their way. Who is to say now that they keep trashing the man, that his followers will vote for Kerry? The logic just isn't there. Yes, lets piss off Nader's following and they will be sure to vote for us come November...not.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by nycflasher
Well, I'll give him that. But, after losing 3000+ Americans on 9-11 he had little choice. He has also put our country in debt and our young men in harms way for years to come.

Debt can be overcome. Reagan ran up the debt while fighting communism. There were no lasting effects from it. Bush is fighting a War. War time economies usually run up debts. Our young men are volunteers and jumped at the chance to defend this country. Soldiers are in harms way the moment they sign up. They knew what they were getting into. Thats what makes them so great.

Nader is an egomaniacal moron with no brain cells. If he wants Bush out of office as he says he does, he'd quit trying to take votes from John Kerry and help us win the White House back. Instead, he has booked himself on a massive ego trip coast to coast. He has absolutely no chance in hell of winning the election, won't even being on the ballot in many states, and serves no purpose other than to siphon off votes from Kerry in closely contested states. I have to wonder if he's not on the take from Bush supporters.

acludem

Originally posted by acludem
I have to wonder if he's not on the take from Bush supporters.

acludem

Pssst - hey kid - allow me to share something with you. The secret to getting in a good insult is that it has to contain at least a TINY kernel of truth. Not a whole lot, mind you, but just a bit. You can take that kernel and run with it as you please.

But if you throw out something totally ridiculous, you only end up looking silly.

Gee whiz - I don't understand. Libs applauded Ross Perot during the '96 election campaign when Perot was siphoning off conservative votes.

But now Nader is potrayed as an irresponsible, brainless egomaniac whose sole mission is to derail the kerry campaign.

Oh..... and I almost forgot - it wouldn't be surprising to some libs if those nefarious, underhanded, baby-eating conservatives weren't paying him to run.

i thought perot was a jackass, nader's a jackass (an out of control egomaniac hell bent on punishing the democrats) (for what? i don't know)

wouldn't have wanted clinton elected in 92, but bush ran a sorry campaign too, so perot was just the perfect spoiler... same thing happened to gore in 2000, albeit nader's percentage was smaller than perot's was.

nader is losing his legacy by doing all this.... you think there isn't a democrat after 2004 who won't curse his name if kerry loses a close election?

i look at it like this... the last good 3rd party candidate worthy of going to the white house and even being involved in the political process was teddy rossavelt. (sp?)

Originally posted by acludem
Nader is an egomaniacal moron with no brain cells. If he wants Bush out of office as he says he does, he'd quit trying to take votes from John Kerry and help us win the White House back. Instead, he has booked himself on a massive ego trip coast to coast. He has absolutely no chance in hell of winning the election, won't even being on the ballot in many states, and serves no purpose other than to siphon off votes from Kerry in closely contested states. I have to wonder if he's not on the take from Bush supporters.

acludem

I was listening to a CNN reporter the other day talking about how Dennis Kucinich is not going to drop out of the race and plans to run for President also. Think he is on the take too?
:p:

nader is losing his legacy by doing all this.... you think there isn't a democrat after 2004 who won't curse his name if kerry loses a close election?

Well i wonder who the dems wlll blame when its a landslide for Bush. :D

That's politics, and the fact that the Democrats are highlighting it is because it's politically expedient for them to do so. They don't mention that 90+% of his contributors are not Republicans, just the 2 or 3 that are. And of course that they are using unprecedented strong-arm tactics to keep him off the ballot, which is what warranted the contributions in the first place. I can assure you that if you look at George Bush's contributor list there are definitely Democrats on it.

i thought perot was a jackass, nader's a jackass (an out of control egomaniac hell bent on punishing the democrats) (for what? i don't know)

wouldn't have wanted clinton elected in 92, but bush ran a sorry campaign too, so perot was just the perfect spoiler... same thing happened to gore in 2000, albeit nader's percentage was smaller than perot's was.

i look at it like this... the last good 3rd party candidate worthy of going to the white house and even being involved in the political process was teddy rossavelt. (sp?)

nato, why are you lumping Nader in as a democrat? He hates the dems as much as the GOP so he is doing what he thinks is right. Just like Buchanan did in 2000. People forget the votes HE took away from GW.

I have no argument with people that run because they believe in something. It is people like Perot that make me sick. That man did it as a personal vendetta against Bush I. It was obvious. Nader has been running every election since I can remember (early 70's). So it is not like he is making an "unusual" run for the White House. You dems just can't stand it now as he does have an impact. In the past, he was just a thorn in the side. Now he is a spear.

Forum List

Back