NAACP announces Its "Unconditional Support" for Cali's Marijuana legalization

Why not? A guy caught for his second DUI isn't necessarily a violent offender either, but he deserves to be in jail.

And that doesn't address the fact that the guy lied. His specific claim was that he knew a lot of first time possession felons in Oklahoma.

Just as I believe a state should have the right to legalize MJ if they wish, I also believe a state should have the right to throw people in jail for possession if they wish.

But t his notion that the prisons of this country are over flowing with people who did nothing except get caught for their first offense of simple possession is a joke. Anyone with common sense knows that, arguing differently weakens the argument.

You're right people don't go to jail for simple marijuana possession. The fact that it goes on your record though is retarded. It closes doors or can make certain things more difficult than they have to be later in life. If you get picked up for weed it can ruin your career. It's pretty senseless.

Whats senseless is when someone knows what you just said and smokes anyway and gets caught and then wonders why they can't get a job.

Well I doubt they would be wondering why they can't get a job but because the law is senseless in my view, so are the legal ramifications.

I do get your point though.

why couldn't the federal gov just decim. Remove the nearly retarded schedule I treating it like Heroin.
Make it non criminal, use jail money for violent criminals that have to be let out due to overcrowding. How many more stories do we need about repeat child molestors winding up murdering a little kid.

Apparently you don't realize that decriminalizing pot has nothing to do with sentencing guidelines for child molestation..........................

Apparently even a hardcore wingnut can't get his mind around more space for the molestors who get let out early.

Once again... link to one single person who is in prison for a first time offense of simple mj possession. It has never happened, it will never happen. It's a simple ticket and you move on. Now if you don't believe a guy who was busted for hauling around dealer weight should be allowed to plead down to a possession charge, I might agree with you;but THAT is the primary reason pot users are in jail. They get busted , they plea bargain to a lesser charge and then some fruity organization comes out with a graph saying "look at all the first timers in jail for simple possesion" it's not true, and if you truly were college educated you would immediately see through the fallacy of that argument.

so article thinks kids without the proper ID won't be able to get marijuana. and he thinks "rules and regulations" are gonna control the situation.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Did I say they wont be able to get marijuana? I said it would be more difficult for them to get marijuana. Kids can get weed much more easily than they can alcohol because they need someone to buy it for them.

nope, you will be wrong as usual, they'll get it, and the drug dealers will still operate and life will go on. you however with your legalized product will be taxed into oblivion and regulated to death. I have news for you. Heroin, codeine, demerol are all legal drugs and are all heavily produced, stolen and sold by drug pusher/cartels. you should shake your head and deal with reality.

what hogklansman you can't be serious millions over the years have gone to jail for possession. More states than not have criminal penalties for it. That was comically funny thanks

No, I don't buy into the argument that everyone who smokes would be smoking at inappropriate times either, but some would, just as some drink on the job or whatever. That was my point.

So basically, it's a wash. Things wont really change in that regard.

Such is every argument.

Of course.

I completely disagree here. With no statistics whatsoever to back it up I can very confidently say that you are FAR more likely to hurt yourself or get killed as a result of alcohol than weed. It isn't even close.
So it boils down to , do you want another legal substance that impair on the market? Either you do or you don't. All this dishonesty about oh look how many non violent pot users are in prison is just that dishonesty, just as the hand wringing that pot users will be blazing up at every opportunity is.

The answer is yes. I'm not making an emotional argument. Legalizing pot will really free up the courts. Notice I didn't say jails, I said courts. Legalizing pot will really generate a ton of tax revenue. Making an valid ID saying you are 21 will really make it more difficult for kids to get their hands on weed.

On the issue of dangers to the user. I was speaking more of health issues, not the dangers of getting into a car accident, etc etc.

I kinda lump all that into the "dangers" category. We didn't even really get into all the victims of drunks ... assaults, vehicular homicides, rapes, etc.

I do acknowledge that smoking pot has long term side effects that we will learn more about as we gather more research.

As to making it tough on kids to get weed. That would be virtually impossible to guarantee if people are growing in their backyards. Let's face it stoners, not casual users mind you but STONERS, are completely unresponsible people and it is completely feasible to believe that many kids would simply help themselves to mom and dads stash. Of course the same thing could be said about any adult only product, but pot is the only one were talking about which would potentially be just growing literally wild outside. Imagine if your neighbor had a pot plan on their front porch and your child got a hold of it.That is a legitimate concern.

I guess I would lump that into personal responsibility. Parents shouldn't be giving their kids weed now or if it were legal. Only a fool would leave their pot plant on the front porch :lol: and deserves to get it ganked. Growing wild ... yes there will likely be more of that.

(2008) Although people may think that the Drug War targets drug smugglers and 'King Pins,' in 2008, 49.8 percent (half) of the 1,702,537 total arrests for drug abuse violations were for marijuana -- a total of 847,863. Of those, 754,224 people were arrested for marijuana possession alone. By contrast in 2000 a total of 734,497 Americans were arrested for marijuana offenses, of which 646,042 were for possession alone.

US Arrests
Year Total Arrests Total Drug Arrests Total Marijuana Arrests Marijuana Trafficking/Sale Arrests Marijuana Possession Arrests Total Violent Crime Arrests Total Property Crime Arrests
2008 14,005,615 1,702,537 847,863 93,640 754,224 594,911 1,687,345
2007 14,209,365 1,841,182 872,720 97,583 775,137 597,447 1,610,088

so article thinks kids without the proper ID won't be able to get marijuana. and he thinks "rules and regulations" are gonna control the situation.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Did I say they wont be able to get marijuana? I said it would be more difficult for them to get marijuana. Kids can get weed much more easily than they can alcohol because they need someone to buy it for them.

nope, you will be wrong as usual, they'll get it, and the drug dealers will still operate and life will go on. you however with your legalized product will be taxed into oblivion and regulated to death. I have news for you. Heroin, codeine, demerol are all legal drugs and are all heavily produced, stolen and sold by drug pusher/cartels. you should shake your head and deal with reality.

None of those drugs can be currently bought OTC with an ID.

(2008) Although people may think that the Drug War targets drug smugglers and 'King Pins,' in 2008, 49.8 percent (half) of the 1,702,537 total arrests for drug abuse violations were for marijuana -- a total of 847,863. Of those, 754,224 people were arrested for marijuana possession alone. By contrast in 2000 a total of 734,497 Americans were arrested for marijuana offenses, of which 646,042 were for possession alone.

US Arrests
Year Total Arrests Total Drug Arrests Total Marijuana Arrests Marijuana Trafficking/Sale Arrests Marijuana Possession Arrests Total Violent Crime Arrests Total Property Crime Arrests

Ok, genius... how many of those were imprisoned?

So basically, it's a wash. Things wont really change in that regard.

Such is every argument.

Of course.

I completely disagree here. With no statistics whatsoever to back it up I can very confidently say that you are FAR more likely to hurt yourself or get killed as a result of alcohol than weed. It isn't even close.

The answer is yes. I'm not making an emotional argument. Legalizing pot will really free up the courts. Notice I didn't say jails, I said courts. Legalizing pot will really generate a ton of tax revenue. Making an valid ID saying you are 21 will really make it more difficult for kids to get their hands on weed.

On the issue of dangers to the user. I was speaking more of health issues, not the dangers of getting into a car accident, etc etc.

I kinda lump all that into the "dangers" category. We didn't even really get into all the victims of drunks ... assaults, vehicular homicides, rapes, etc.

I do acknowledge that smoking pot has long term side effects that we will learn more about as we gather more research.

As to making it tough on kids to get weed. That would be virtually impossible to guarantee if people are growing in their backyards. Let's face it stoners, not casual users mind you but STONERS, are completely unresponsible people and it is completely feasible to believe that many kids would simply help themselves to mom and dads stash. Of course the same thing could be said about any adult only product, but pot is the only one were talking about which would potentially be just growing literally wild outside. Imagine if your neighbor had a pot plan on their front porch and your child got a hold of it.That is a legitimate concern.

I guess I would lump that into personal responsibility. Parents shouldn't be giving their kids weed now or if it were legal. Only a fool would leave their pot plant on the front porch :lol: and deserves to get it ganked. Growing wild ... yes there will likely be more of that.

So it seems we agree, there ARE dangers to pot; and as civilized people we should be free to live in a society that either accepts those dangers or not. Meaning each state should be free to set their own policy on pot.

that's the point numbbbbbers, they are all heavily regulated and still easily accessible. hell they still sell quaaludes on the street and they were supposedly regulated out of existance years ago. you are just not thinking clearly if you think legalizing marijuania will solve all the crime associated with drugs. all you will end up with is more regulation and more people thinking up ways around the regulation meanwhile you'll feel all good about stuff cause you can sashay down the street with legal pot..

So it seems we agree, there ARE dangers to pot; and as civilized people we should be free to live in a society that either accepts those dangers or not. Meaning each state should be free to set their own policy on pot.

that is exactly right. legalize it and you are going to be dealing on a day to day basis with legally impaired people in life and death situations.

US Arrests

:lol: The "genius" doesn't realize that being arrested =/= going to jail

US Arrests

:lol: The "genius" doesn't realize that being arrested =/= going to jail

he's so freaking educated isn't he? :eusa_shhh:

that's the point numbbbbbers, they are all heavily regulated and still easily accessible.

They are legal in the sense that alcohol is legal or the way pot would be legal. You are talking apples and oranges.

hell they still sell quaaludes on the street and they were supposedly regulated out of existance years ago. you are just not thinking clearly if you think legalizing marijuania will solve all the crime associated with drugs.

Good because I never said that.

all you will end up with is more regulation and more people thinking up ways around the regulation meanwhile you'll feel all good about stuff cause you can sashay down the street with legal pot..

They've been doing the ultimate getting around regulations this whole time. I don't buy your notion for a one second.

so convictions do not equal jail time. got it

I'm curious as to which fine institution you obtained your MBA since you basically laughed at my 3 degrees.

Was it Phoneix Online? Be honest with us.

Actually, I think it was Dreamus University.:lol:

Willow, I think you're picking a fight with Art where none exists here. Hell he admits that pot is dangerous, he admits that it won't be as simple as just saying "do what you want stoners". He is coming across as pretty reasonable to me, in fact I think he agrees with me that states should decide on their own, he just can't quite bring himself to say it............... yet

Until a federal law changes that, which I would support, yes.

I'll admit that most simple possession don't wind up in long jail sentences, but they shouldn't even spend the night in Jail.
MBA was from Loyola University in New Orleans. Paid for 100% by Texaco
I don't think I'd be rich had I not focused on financial planning for professional investors.

Willow, I think you're picking a fight with Art where none exists here. Hell he admits that pot is dangerous, he admits that it won't be as simple as just saying "do what you want stoners". He is coming across as pretty reasonable to me, in fact I think he agrees with me that states should decide on their own, he just can't quite bring himself to say it............... yet

Of course she's picking a fight. Frankly, I've been about as patient with her as I have ever been in this thread. Normally, I'd just say something mean and nasty to her and enjoy the explosion that follows.

Forum List

Back