N.Y. Times to File Notice It Will Close Boston Globe

DiveCon

gone
Aug 10, 2008
By Howard Kurtz
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, May 4, 2009

The New York Times Co. said last night that it is notifying federal authorities of its plans to shut down the Boston Globe, raising the possibility that New England's most storied newspaper could cease to exist within weeks.
After down-to-the-wire negotiations did not produce millions of dollars in union concessions, the Times Co. said that it will file today a required 60-day notice of the planned shutdown under the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification law.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/03/AR2009050300269.html

i guess i should have bought stock in the Boston Herald ;)

By Howard Kurtz
Monday, May 4, 2009

The New York Times Co. said last night that it is notifying federal authorities of its plans to shut down the Boston Globe, raising the possibility that New England's most storied newspaper could cease to exist within weeks.
After down-to-the-wire negotiations did not produce millions of dollars in union concessions, the Times Co. said that it will file today a required 60-day notice of the planned shutdown under the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification law.

washingtonpost.com

and ford motor company.

By Howard Kurtz
Monday, May 4, 2009

washingtonpost.com

and ford motor company.
another case of the Union pricing itself out of jobs

of course this could just be a bargaining move by the Times

but when you consider how they are supposed to support the unions
its kinda hypocritical

and ford motor company.

its kinda hypocritical

Newspapers as we knew them are a thing of the past. Their time has come and gone. Without knowing the details, I wouldn't jump to the assumption that the unions are to blame. Circulation and revenues have fallen so much with most papers, that many are just not viable any longer.

Newspaper journalism is a failing business model, folks.

Boston no longer needs a local paper.

Nothing ever happens in Boston, anyway, does it?

Fifty years from today, ink on paper journalism will be about as common as town cryers.

It's rather sad in a way, I remember the Philadelphia Evening Bulletin that came to our home every afternoon, I loved the sports, and the comics were always read. Pogo could show you politics with a smile, and not the divisive nonsense of talking head journalism today. But do children read today I wonder? My wife a teacher since the beginning of time tells me the kids get dumber year by year! Why I wonder? TV and the web, instant gratification? And parents have little time and would rather watch TV at night, shows like '24' keeps em scared and dumb all at once. LOL

I do think that some papers will survive and maybe prosper, but an element of American life and culture will be lost when Fox pseudo news is all many watch. Sarah Palin exemplifies the person of the future - clueless.

"Civilization is more and more a race between education and catastrophe." H.G. Wells

Last edited:
I don't read nearly as much as I once did.

I guess I used to read books 20 + hours a week.

Now I doubt I put 5 hours into that process.

Books now have much competing for our intellectual time.

Newspapers problems are that PLUS the cost of publishing online is so wildly cheaper than publishing on paper and ink.

Good riddance. Hopefully the NYT will follow, but I would imagine hoards of weeping residents of the upper east side might pony up to save it – for a while.

There have been some rumblings but now I think we can expect – wait for it – a federal bailout proposal. If that develops any kind of serious momentum, the radical left’s time in the sun will start its convergence into 15 minutes of fame.

Motion from the floor?

With the internet--news--weather & sports are always available--newspapers appear to be the thing of the past. Even advertising now-a-days can be done in "free to the user" papers. If you want to sell or advertise, in my community anyway, we can pay a small fee--put in the paper which is free to the consumer. I think this has a lot to do with failing newspapers also.

and ford motor company.

its kinda hypocritical

The unions aren't the problem... people have a right to a living wage. We don't live in a feudal society...... presumably.

Good riddance. Hopefully the NYT will follow, but I would imagine hoards of weeping residents of the upper east side might pony up to save it – for a while.

There have been some rumblings but now I think we can expect – wait for it – a federal bailout proposal. If that develops any kind of serious momentum, the radical left’s time in the sun will start its convergence into 15 minutes of fame.

Motion from the floor?

as a matter of fact I heard on c-span a day or two ago that the venerable John effen Kerry is writing legislation to give the NYT and subsidiaries tax exempt status.. :eusa_shhh: or did I hear it here???

Motion from the floor?

as a matter of fact I heard on c-span a day or two ago that the venerable John effen Kerry is writing legislation to give the NYT and subsidiaries tax exempt status.. :eusa_shhh: or did I hear it here???
he cant have his biggest supporter go out of business

It's rather sad in a way, I remember the Philadelphia Evening Bulletin that came to our home every afternoon, I loved the sports, and the comics were always read. Pogo could show you politics with a smile, and not the divisive nonsense of talking head journalism today. But do children read today I wonder? My wife a teacher since the beginning of time tells me the kids get dumber year by year! Why I wonder? TV and the web, instant gratification? And parents have little time and would rather watch TV at night, shows like '24' keeps em scared and dumb all at once. LOL

I do think that some papers will survive and maybe prosper, but an element of American life and culture will be lost when Fox pseudo news is all many watch. Sarah Palin exemplifies the person of the future - clueless.

"Civilization is more and more a race between education and catastrophe." H.G. Wells

you actually had a decent point, then you had to throw in your partisan hack bullshit

pity

people like you are destroying this country

Those few with an editorial board to the right of Center are doing okay. Those that are further left in many cases much further left than there local readers are dying and have been for a while. By the way I thought News papers were already tax exempt.

Those few with an editorial board to the right of Center are doing okay. Those that are further left in many cases much further left than there local readers are dying and have been for a while. By the way I thought News papers were already tax exempt.
if they arent making a profit, there is nothing to tax

LOL

so esentially, they are already tax exempt

they need to let them fail, the Taxpayer can not afford to prop up these papers , they're useless anyway . They need to get with the times and figure out how to make money online .

New Topics

Forum List

Back