N.Korean Propaganda Poster Hints at Cheonan Sinking

xomputer

Rookie
Dec 9, 2008
North Korea has been distributing a propaganda poster apparently boasting about its sinking of the South Korean Navy corvette Cheonan in March, Radio Free Asia reported Tuesday. The U.S.-funded radio station based the claim on a poster it obtained from a Chinese businessman just back from a trip to the North.

The poster shows a North Korean soldier's fist smashing the ship into two pieces, accompanied by a slogan saying, "We'll take it down with a single blow if it attacks!"

The North officially denies involvement in the sinking.

Quoting a military exert in South Korea, RFA said, "The poster features a corvette like the Cheonan, not a destroyer or a convoy ship, given the two guns each on the foredeck and the afterdeck. It seems that the North made the propaganda poster to boost soldiers' morale."
2010071500425_0.jpg

As I saw this image, a thought came across my mind.
"North Koreans really did sink the Cheonan..."
I'm sure that many others would think the same after taking a quick look at this poster.

Here's the problem: the North Koreans will claim credit for anything that will help advance their cause. Not saying that they didn't do it. Just saying that this doesn't necessarily prove that they did. It's a subtle difference between "we did it" and "this is what happens when you mess around with us." The first one is a definite admission while the second one is hyperbole that hints and implies but isn't really an admission.

Still have to wonder why the North would even want to flirt around with propaganda that might bring heat from the rest of the world. Then again, the North Koreans aren't exactly pragmatic, and through their arrogance may see this as nothing more than just saber rattling than actionable admission.

Forum List

Back