N. Korean army vows 'special operation' against South

xomputer

Rookie
Dec 9, 2008
North Korea's military announced Monday it would soon launch "special operations" against South Korea's conservative president, accusing him of insulting Pyongyang's past leaders.

"We announce that special actions by our revolutionary army aimed to crush reckless challenges by the enemy forces will begin soon," said a statement on official media which gave no details of the actions.

"The target of the special actions is the main enemy, Lee Myung-Bak, and his followers including the conservative media," said the announcement by what was termed the "special operation action unit" of the top military command.

The North has for months been criticising the South's President Lee in extreme terms and threatening "sacred war". No incidents have been reported.

Tens of thousands rallied in Pyongyang last Friday, screaming hatred for Lee and calling for his death over alleged insults during anniversary celebrations held by the North in mid-April. – AFP

Most of these pronouncements are for their own public consumption. Although even a massive assault would be horrific in nature along the border, South Korea (ROK) is in more of a position to repell an assault from the north than ever before. The ROK army is solid and highly capable (not to mention well-fed), whereas the KPA is now on it's last legs and starving, with little fuel to push a large punch into the south.

Most of these pronouncements are for their own public consumption. Although even a massive assault would be horrific in nature along the border, South Korea (ROK) is in more of a position to repell an assault from the north than ever before. The ROK army is solid and highly capable (not to mention well-fed), whereas the KPA is now on it's last legs and starving, with little fuel to push a large punch into the south.

True, but an initial North Korean assault could do enormous damage and cause heavy loss of life.

True, but an initial North Korean assault could do enormous damage and cause heavy loss of life.

True. True.

Unless reason totally leaves the north altogether, the quotient fortuna would see a reunification of the north and south within 5 years as the PRK continues to implode. They would have to attack before then to prevent this. In the end, the result will result will be the same, and the peninsula at last united once again for the first time in centuries.

If there ever was a real legitimate reason for a pre-emptive strike this would be it...

Yes N. Korea constantly threatens but the threats show a pattern of getting bigger and attempting more shock appeal.

When the threats from N. Korea reaches the peak of shock appeal they will run out of threat options for attention and then have to take the next step for attention and actually carry out the threats.

I say a pre-emptive strike is fully warranted...especially at a time like now when the U.S. still has a chance with China in a conflict.

The longer the U.S. waits to nip this in the *** the more likely China will be too much for the U.S. to handle.

Oh...I brought China into this because it is basically a given that China will get involved...and if China gets involved it is basically a given Russia will join too due to their geo-strategic pact

"The target of the special actions is the main enemy, Lee Myung-Bak, and his followers including the conservative media," said the announcement by what was termed the "special operation action unit" of the top military command.

North Korea could be planning cyber attacks against major South Korean websites utilizing “unprecedented peculiar means and methods.” There were a series of coordinated cyber attacks against major government, news media, and financial websites in South Korea in 2009 originating from North Korea's telecommunications ministry where the "special operation action unit" may be located.

Last edited:
If there ever was a real legitimate reason for a pre-emptive strike this would be it...

Yes N. Korea constantly threatens but the threats show a pattern of getting bigger and attempting more shock appeal.

When the threats from N. Korea reaches the peak of shock appeal they will run out of threat options for attention and then have to take the next step for attention and actually carry out the threats.

I say a pre-emptive strike is fully warranted...especially at a time like now when the U.S. still has a chance with China in a conflict.

The longer the U.S. waits to nip this in the *** the more likely China will be too much for the U.S. to handle.

Oh...I brought China into this because it is basically a given that China will get involved...and if China gets involved it is basically a given Russia will join too due to their geo-strategic pact

Yes. Only, wait until they attack. The ROK Army has become just that, a rock. Their might be great loss of life, but the KPA (Korean Peoples Army) would not penetrate past the DMZ, so fortified has the ROK line become from one shore to the next. But, listen to me...as if a fortune teller. I would rather the US stay out as much as possible, since I believe the ROK Army is more than capable of now handling this. I believe the Chinese would respect such a fight as well, and not interfere.

North Korea's military announced Monday it would soon launch "special operations" against South Korea's conservative president, accusing him of insulting Pyongyang's past leaders.

"We announce that special actions by our revolutionary army aimed to crush reckless challenges by the enemy forces will begin soon," said a statement on official media which gave no details of the actions.

The North has for months been criticising the South's President Lee in extreme terms and threatening "sacred war". No incidents have been reported.

Tens of thousands rallied in Pyongyang last Friday, screaming hatred for Lee and calling for his death over alleged insults during anniversary celebrations held by the North in mid-April. – AFP

actions by the population are meaningless since most of it is scrited.

this is just the new leader rattleing his own saber.

All NK has is nukes, and they know using them is suicide

I believe the Chinese would respect such a fight as well, and not interfere.

Not a chance in hell.

Let's remember, they did not intervene before until the Americans got involved. Not too much to believe it could happen again. Besides, a couple of meetings between the Defense chiefs of Peoples Republic of China and Republic of Korea (South Korea) in the last year lead one to believe something could be in the works as far as an understanding for the future.

I believe the Chinese would respect such a fight as well, and not interfere.

Not a chance in hell.

Let's remember, they did not intervene before until the Americans got involved. Not too much to believe it could happen again. Besides, a couple of meetings between the Defense chiefs of Peoples Republic of China and Republic of Korea (South Korea) in the last year lead one to believe something could be in the works as far as an understanding for the future.

You are dreaming.

North Korea is essentially a paper tiger. Get the Chinese on board with getting rid of them..and they are done.

But that's the trick.

North Korea is essentially a paper tiger. Get the Chinese on board with getting rid of them..and they are done.

But that's the trick.

True, very true. I would love to know what understanding was produced when their defense chiefs met during this last year.

Yes. Only, wait until they attack. The ROK Army has become just that, a rock. Their might be great loss of life, but the KPA (Korean Peoples Army) would not penetrate past the DMZ, so fortified has the ROK line become from one shore to the next. But, listen to me...as if a fortune teller. I would rather the US stay out as much as possible, since I believe the ROK Army is more than capable of now handling this. I believe the Chinese would respect such a fight as well, and not interfere.

Maybe China would stay out if the U.S. did too...but the scenerio I see is the U.S. could not sit back and watch if N. Korea gets the upper hand...also I don't believe China would sit back and watch if S. Korea gets the upper hand...remember China had a lot to do with N. Korea being in existance in the first place.

Maybe China would stay out if the U.S. did too...but the scenerio I see is the U.S. could not sit back and watch if N. Korea gets the upper hand...also I don't believe China would sit back and watch if S. Korea gets the upper hand...remember China had a lot to do with N. Korea being in existance in the first place.

Good thoughts. Good thoughts. Let me take some time here and not be so lazy. I will comment more later as to why I believe the PRC will stay out of this fight should the US do so as well. I think it will be interesting what I have to share.

Forum List

Back