N.J. Man Serving 7 Years for Guns He Legally Owned

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Oct 29, 2008
Pacific Northwest
'Perfect Storm of Injustice'? N.J. Man Serving 7 Years for Guns He Legally Owned

When Brian Aitken confided in his mother during a moment of emotional distress last year that life wasn't worth living, he never could have imagined the words triggering a chain of events that ultimately landed him in a New Jersey state prison.

But that's precisely what happened, according to an account of the events by Aitken's father, Larry, and attorney, Evan Napper.

Brian Aitken, 25, a successful media consultant, had been in the process of selling his home in Colorado and moving to a suburban New Jersey apartment to be closer to his son, 2.

But on the afternoon of Jan. 3, 2009, the stress of a recent divorce and messy cross-country move caused him to crack. Aitken stormed out of his parent's suburban home in Mount Laurel, N.J., hopped into his car filled with belongings and set out on a drive to cool off.

Seven years for legally owned guns... :doubt:

Brian Aitken, New Jersey Prisoner on Gun Charge Appeals to Governor for Clemency - ABC News

Free Brian Aitken – brian d. aitken

Free Brian Aitken | Facebook

He legally bought them in Co but was not legal with them in NJ where he transported them to.

Sucks, but not legal in NJ.

from your link:

Buried in the trunk, beneath piles of clothes and boxes of dishes, was a black duffle bag holding a boot box containing two handguns; "unloaded, disassembled, cleaned and wrapped in a cloth," his father said.

There were also several large-capacity magazines and cartons of hollow-point bullets.

Aitken had legally purchased the guns at a Denver sporting goods store two years earlier, he said.

But transporting a gun without a special permit or in a handful of exempt situations is illegal in New Jersey, giving officers no choice but to arrest Aitken and charge him with a crime. The magazines and bullets are also illegal in the state, experts said.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;3044399 said:
'Perfect Storm of Injustice'? N.J. Man Serving 7 Years for Guns He Legally Owned

Have a legal gun, and do an illegal act, you go to jail. I would like to help him out by having Congress repeal and rescind all guns laws, and restore the 2nd Amendment to it's pristine condition.

"But transporting a gun without a special permit or in a handful of exempt situations is illegal in New Jersey, giving officers no choice but to arrest Aitken and charge him with a crime. The magazines and bullets are also illegal in the state, experts said."

He legally bought them in Co but was not legal with them in NJ where he transported them to.

from your link:

Buried in the trunk, beneath piles of clothes and boxes of dishes, was a black duffle bag holding a boot box containing two handguns; "unloaded, disassembled, cleaned and wrapped in a cloth," his father said.

There were also several large-capacity magazines and cartons of hollow-point bullets.

Aitken had legally purchased the guns at a Denver sporting goods store two years earlier, he said.

But transporting a gun without a special permit or in a handful of exempt situations is illegal in New Jersey, giving officers no choice but to arrest Aitken and charge him with a crime. The magazines and bullets are also illegal in the state, experts said.

I think the issue here is more the fact that he got a seven year sentence with no criminal background. Absolutely no common sense was applied here. This isn't the first questionable action this judge has made either.

from your link:

I think the issue here is more the fact that he got a seven year sentence with no criminal background. Absolutely no common sense was applied here. This isn't the first questionable action this judge has made either.

That is exactly it IMO. He was moving-- he was not brandishing firearms but moving them from one state to another in the midst of a divorce and a move back home. They were packed in his car for a move. 7 years for not obtaining the proper permit is asinine IMO.

CaféAuLait;3044399 said:

Have a legal gun, and do an illegal act, you go to jail. I would like to help him out by having Congress repeal and rescind all guns laws, and restore the 2nd Amendment to it's pristine condition.

"But transporting a gun without a special permit or in a handful of exempt situations is illegal in New Jersey, giving officers no choice but to arrest Aitken and charge him with a crime. The magazines and bullets are also illegal in the state, experts said."

And for such do you think he deserves 7 years for not getting the proper permits? The judge refused to allow testimony to be heard by the jurt that he was moving from one location to another.

from your link:

Yes, I read that. 7 years for not getting a permit though? No fine? A judge who refused to allow the jury to hear he was in the midst of a move? Seems really terrible to me.

CaféAuLait;3044577 said:
CaféAuLait;3044399 said:

And for such do you think he deserves 7 years for not getting the proper permits? The judge refused to allow testimony to be heard by the jurt that he was moving from one location to another.

Regardless of what a judge does, when you are in his courtroom, he is the law. Personally, the man shouldn't be in court, and should have been legally packing loaded extra-maxi-clips in concealed weapons if he wanted to. I don't believe any gun laws are constitutional. Shall not be infringed.

Last edited:
CaféAuLait;3044577 said:

Regardless of what a judge does, when you are in his courtroom, he is the law. Personally, the man shouldn't be in court, and should have been legally packing loaded extra-maxi-clips in concealed weapons if he wanted to. I don't believe any gun laws are constitutional. Shall not be infringed.

I agree with you but the weapons were not even put together they were disassembled far from being loaded too.

It just seems that common sense has gone out the window.

I question his demeanor during the arrest and subsequent trial.

I agree he was not given a fair trial.

OTOH, why was he packing hollow points? Recently divorced suicidal guy with multiple large magazines and hollow points sounds like a tragedy in the making.

CaféAuLait;3044798 said:
CaféAuLait;3044577 said:

I agree with you but the weapons were not even put together they were disassembled far from being loaded too.

It just seems that common sense has gone out the window.

Yes indeed, back when they past the first gun law. "Leave your guns at the sheriffs office"

OTOH, why was he packing hollow points? Recently divorced suicidal guy with multiple large magazines and hollow points sounds like a tragedy in the making.

Yeah, it was probably the way he was dressed (what they tell raped women). He was an outsider to Jersey land. He looked suspicious. He asked, ""Do you have a warrant?" or "What was your badge number again?" He looked gay, black, or poor. He didn't have a rap sheet like everybody in Jersey does. His parents house was marked as not donating to the annual police drive. His profile matched the "Gun in Trunk," look. The cops needed to make their month-end quota.

Last edited:

I have hollow points... so what?

This poor bastard got rail roaded by some left wing, NY, anti second amendment, activist shit stain wearing a rob and swinging a gavel. I hope he appeals and sues the judge.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back