N.J. faces class-action lawsuit by immigrants denied FamilyCare

It is, as I said, a really decent system. In fact, being in Europe, I'd rather get sick in France than the UK. I think (and I'm not saying its a fact - but I doubt I'm far out), that the average cost per taxpayer in Europe is around 25% - That is on top of income tax etc - then they also pay a myriad of other taxes.... Europeans are taxed to hell and back generally.

But.... on healthcare... I'd say as a ballpark it's around 25% of your monthly income on healthcare.... In France - the sicker you are, the better your treatment so don't think you can run to the doc with every little ache or pain.

In the UK, certainly where I live, it can take days to get an appointment with my doctor. The surgery is old and run down, they've only just gone computerized... it's a joke. Seriously.
I live in the US. It takes me about a week to 10 days to see my family doctor. If I demand to see some one right away, I see the PA, physician's assist or go to the ER. I'm trying to see a dermatologies now. I called 4 doctors in my healthcare plan. The soonest I can get an appointment is 6 weeks. Healthcare is rationed everywhere. During the healthcare debates, I kept hearing people talk about rationing healthcare. I have had 3 different healthcare plans in last 10 years and have never been able see a doctor in less 3 or 4 days unless it was in the ER.

I can usually see my family Doctor the following day if not on occasion the same day. And I have never had to wait longer than 2 days. Even after hours he will return phone calls if it could be an emergency.
Your Lucky. You either got a good doc or a good healthcare plan.

Guests do not sue their hosts if they are dissatisfied with their accomodations. They leave. Manners 101.

Hosts shouldn't also pay their guests crap, and then get pissed when they can't afford medical care. You want cheap labor, you should be required to provide a few things in exchange for that cheap labor.

No one invited them here. No one promised them wages if they come here. In fact they are not promised anything the same as any other country they may decide to move to.

LEGAL immigrant. And I am glad the US didn't treat out ancestors the way you people want to treat immigrants.

And great job on another thread attacking minorities Chanel.
What was the one about yesterday?

:eusa_eh:
Personal animosity or did you not read it?
Your reply makes no sense.

Projections of white guilt can interfere with rational thought. It's an epidemic. In their minds "black licorice" is a racist code word.

Decent people judge others on the content of their character. Bigots only see issues through the prism of color. (Which has nothing to do with this thread btw) Luissa doesn't even understand that IMMIGRANTS come from all parts of the world. Suing the state of NJ costs us money. I hope the judge throws it out.

I must be getting stupidier with every passing day. I thought in order to immigrate here, you had to demonstrate you had an income and would not become a burden? WTF are all these legal but ADFC-eligible immigrants, and why aren't they deported for failure to remain financially independent?

This is a very good point.

Well, I believe I'm correct in saying that by law NO ONE in this country can be denied medical care in case of an EMERGENCY regardless of inability to pay. ERs usually have a notice to that effect posted. When it comes to other things that are non-emergency, neither the US government nor state governments should be obligated to give anyone a free ride. I think what many Americans think (and rightly so) is that illegal aliens (they are not illegal immigrants) are not entitled to a free ride at taxpayer expense because they are not US citizens, never intend to become citizens and are not entitled to the same benefits as are citizens and others who are here legally and have the intent of being naturalized.

Emergencies, yes; other non-essential medical care, no.

Well, I believe I'm correct in saying that by law NO ONE in this country can be denied medical care in case of an EMERGENCY regardless of inability to pay. ERs usually have a notice to that effect posted. When it comes to other things that are non-emergency, neither the US government nor state governments should be obligated to give anyone a free ride. I think what many Americans think (and rightly so) is that illegal aliens (they are not illegal immigrants) are not entitled to a free ride at taxpayer expense because they are not US citizens, never intend to become citizens and are not entitled to the same benefits as are citizens and others who are here legally and have the intent of being naturalized.

But they treat every need for medical care as an emergency and show up at the emergency room where they know they will recieve care. For free.

Both CountofTuscany and Granny are correct. But IMO, if a legal alien or his dependents has visited an ER and that bill gets sent to collections, time to deport them. You cannot pay your own way?

Buh bye.

But they treat every need for medical care as an emergency and show up at the emergency room where they know they will recieve care. For free.

I have seen the Emergency Rom Doctor tell a patient that he needed to go to the clinic or to see his family Doctor the following day. The guy was on welfare but not medicaid or any other program, and he wasn't dying, he simply wanted some drugs because he was broke and coming down....

Your are correct. Emergency care care can not be denied. Emergency means an immediate life threating medical condition. The case that is being discussed is about withholding Medicaid from legal immigrants, not illegals. It might be helpful to understand the terminology.
Legal Immigrant Classifications, from Life in the USA: The Complete Guide for Immigrants and Americans

The argument for denying coverage is pretty simple. The state has the right to establish residency requirement for various state services.

The argument against denying coverage will be based on the denial of coverage is singling out legal immigrates and treating them differently than others who are legal.

People from other countries, particularly Europe where universal healthcare is the norm, do not understand American healthcare. Most Europeans believe healthcare is an essential service just like police and fire protection and don't give it a lot of thought to it. They just take it for granted. So when they are in America and are presented with a $3,000 bill by an ER, they get their education in America healthcare and why it is essential that everyone have health insurance.

I guess it is okay to pay them crap for taking care of our children, mowing our lawns, cleaning out houses, but god forbid we allow them to have medical care. And even better, when they try to stand up for themselves, we will of course attack them for doing so.

thats pretty damn racist.

Well, I believe I'm correct in saying that by law NO ONE in this country can be denied medical care in case of an EMERGENCY regardless of inability to pay. .................................

Not really. They will treat BUT then go to any lengths to squeeze blood from the flat busted turnip.

.................... I have had 3 different healthcare plans in last 10 years and have never been able see a doctor in less 3 or 4 days unless it was in the ER.

Hmmmmmm, ya must not be living right!!!!!!!!!! Three 10th percentile Plans in a row..............

Forum List

Back