N.J. faces class-action lawsuit by immigrants denied FamilyCare

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Seton Hall Law School's Center for Social Justice filed a class action lawsuit today against New Jersey on behalf of low-income legal immigrants who have been denied state-funded Medicaid health insurance under the FamilyCare program due to recent budget cuts.

New Jersey discontinued Medicaid coverage for nearly 12,000 residents under FamilyCare between April and July because they had not been permanent residents for at least five years, according to the lawsuit.

N.J. faces class-action lawsuit by immigrants denied FamilyCare in budget cuts | NJ.com

Is a five year residency requirement unreasonable? Should "legal immigrants" be afforded all the same benefits as citizens?

States have to cut budgets somewhere. This is New Jersey so I suspect a little payback try at Gov. Christie here.

We don't have to worry though, because Obamacare will not cover illegal immigrants. I know this is not the same, but if states cannot enforce residency requirements before paying for medical care, then they cannot check residency status.

I must be getting stupidier with every passing day. I thought in order to immigrate here, you had to demonstrate you had an income and would not become a burden? WTF are all these legal but ADFC-eligible immigrants, and why aren't they deported for failure to remain financially independent?

Excellent question Madeline, And according to one of the comments on the article, the residency requirement was not designed to prevent foreigners from joining, it was to prevent residents from OTHER states from abusing the system. It must be a better plan than neighboring states. Property taxes here average 8000K. We have the highest taxes in the nation. Somethings gotta give. Chances are these "low income immigrants" aren't contributing to the pot. They've got a hell of a nerve suing.

LEGAL immigrant. And I am glad the US didn't treat out ancestors the way you people want to treat immigrants.

And great job on another thread attacking minorities Chanel. What was the one about yesterday?

I guess it is okay to pay them crap for taking care of our children, mowing our lawns, cleaning out houses, but god forbid we allow them to have medical care. And even better, when they try to stand up for themselves, we will of course attack them for doing so.

Legal immigrants are "guests" not citizens. They do not take care of my children nor do they contribute to their education. But we contribute to theirs. There are plenty of residents here who cannot afford HC and do not qualify for Medicaid. Visitors should not be getting freebies. Go home if you can't afford to live here. Madeline is absolutely right. Immigrants should be financially independent and I'm pretty sure that's somewhere in writing. Another clusterfuck not enforced by ICE.

Should there be reaidency requirements for college tuition Luissa? Or should immigrants get cheaper rates than out of state students?

Legal immigrants are "guests" not citizens. They do not take care of my children nor do they contribute to their education. But we contribute to theirs. There are plenty of residents here who cannot afford HC and do not qualify for Medicaid. Visitors should not be getting freebies. Go home if you can't afford to live here. Madeline is absolutely right. Immigrants should be financially independent and I'm pretty sure that's somewhere in writing. Another clusterfuck not enforced by ICE.

Should there be reaidency requirements for college tuition Luissa? Or should immigrants get cheaper rates than out of state students?

If they work this country they are contributing to their education. They work here, they pay taxes on here, and if they buy anything they are usually paying state sale's taxes.
And it usually only takes a year, not five to establish yourself as a state resident.

LEGAL immigrant. And I am glad the US didn't treat out ancestors the way you people want to treat immigrants.

And great job on another thread attacking minorities Chanel. What was the one about yesterday?

my god the humanity:rolleyes:....."our ancestors" I take it that means immigrants who came here legally via Ellis Island etc. did not get squat, the illegal AND legal immigrant today is coddled by comparison.

Legal residency is required to stop ANYONE from gaming the system ala lower tuition rates for state schools, MEDICARE etc....if its 5 years in NJ, well, they should have chosen a state with a lower threshold.

Luissa, why is it unreasonable to require someone seeking a US visa to prove they are financially independent? I could not emigrate to Canada or most other nations unless I proved such a thing. I don't see where the unfairness is.

Luissa, why is it unreasonable to require someone seeking a US visa to prove they are financially independent? I could not emigrate to Canada or most other nations unless I proved such a thing. I don't see where the unfairness is.

It didn't they didn't have a job, just that they are low income. I don't any country requires them to be making that much. Most countries only require them to have a job, which it sounds like they did, and to have a certain amount of money. I think in France it something like $1700.

Guests do not sue their hosts if they are dissatisfied with their accomodations. They leave. Manners 101.

Hosts shouldn't also pay their guests crap, and then get pissed when they can't afford medical care. You want cheap labor, you should be required to provide a few things in exchange for that cheap labor.

Cheap labor? Who says I want cheap labor? I am a big proponent of an adequate minimum wage -- for Americans. I dunno who you think these people might be, Luissa. As far as I know, NJ has no agricultural laborer visa program. And even when people enter on such visas, they are temporary and the sponsoring employers must assure their health care (as far as I know).

When my Daddy's folks emigrated here in the 1920's, they could not get in until a family here agreed to guarantee they had a place to live and a job. Why should that change?

Cheap labor? Who says I want cheap labor? I am a big proponent of an adequate minimum wage -- for Americans. I dunno who you think these people might be, Luissa. As far as I know, NJ has no agricultural laborer visa program. And even when people enter on such visas, they are temporary and the sponsoring employers must assure their health care (as far as I know).

When my Daddy's folks emigrated here in the 1920's, they could not get in until a family here agreed to guarantee they had a place to live and a job. Why should that change?

Did I say it should change? It says nothing about them not having a home or a job, it just says they don't have medical insurance. When they can't pay their medical bills, how do you thinks the doctor or medical facility makes up that cost?

Luissa, it is unlikely many people qualify for Medicaid yet not for food stamps, AFDC, etc. Legal immigrants in this sort of financial distress should usually be deported, IMO.

Forum List

Back