N.J. charges 8 private sector merchants with gouging after Sandy

You're an idiot. Those gouging, were the ones lucky enough to have power. It had nothing to do with supply. Most refineries were back up withing a couple of days after the storm. NJ lifted the limit of tankers in New York harbor. It was a luck of the draw who had electric power restored, and when. These scumbags were price gouging after a disaster, pure and simple. It's against the law, so let these pig assholes take personal responsibility.

Chris Christie is right on this, even if he is a Republican.

ROFL! sorry, but there's no sin in charging what the market will bare. Forcing a merchant to charge less than he wants is nothing short of theft. It always produces shortages. Any idiot who has ever read an economics book understands that.

Now this is something that I was certain would bring universal condemnation.

It's nice to know I'm not so jaded that some people actually surprise me.

You're not "jaded." You're stupid. You assume everyone is as dumb and ignorant as you are.

You're an idiot. Those gouging, were the ones lucky enough to have power. It had nothing to do with supply. Most refineries were back up withing a couple of days after the storm. NJ lifted the limit of tankers in New York harbor. It was a luck of the draw who had electric power restored, and when. These scumbags were price gouging after a disaster, pure and simple. It's against the law, so let these pig assholes take personal responsibility.

ROFL! sorry, but there's no sin in charging what the market will bare. Forcing a merchant to charge less than he wants is nothing short of theft. It always produces shortages. Any idiot who has ever read an economics book understands that.

You're a fucking idiot. First of all, it's against the law. Secondly, there were no shortages, only a shortage of stations who had their power restored. It took a few days. Third, when Christie went to odd-even days for gas, the lines ended.

You don't know what you're talking about, as usual.

You're a fucking idiot. First of all, it's against the law. Secondly, there were no shortages, only a shortage of stations who had their power restored. It took a few days. Third, when Christie went to odd-even days for gas, the lines ended.

In NYC it lasted alot longer than that, and we lost a hell of a lot less power to the stations. What killed us was the second a station got a gas delivery everyone ran to it, no matter how much gas they already had, created 4 hour lines, and sucked the station dry before the next delivery could arrive. This then got repeated at the next station to get a delivery, then the next, ad nasusem.

In this case, if the price rose to $8 a gallon, people who already had gas would have stayed off the lines, allowing those who needed it (me, I had 1/4 tank in my car for 2 weeks, alot of walking) would have paid for it, and maybe the stations would have been able to build up inventory. At that point prices could have returned to normal.

Its either that or since the government regulates prices in these situations, it needs to have CLEAR CONCISE rules, ready to go, to artificially stifle demand until the supply comes back. If they dont, then its the government's fault I couldnt gas up my fucking car for a week and a half. $10 gas would have allowed me to do that on my own.

Republicans support price gouging. Yet another reason they lost the presidential election.

Perhaps. Bogus economic theories are popular with the dumb masses.
No, most people don't support price gouging or buy your excuse that price gouging is an economic theory. But Republicans seem to. :lol:

"Price gouging" is a liberal economic theory. It was conceived in the university of Cloud Cuckoo land.

Economists understand that all prices behave according to the laws of Supply and Demand. Any attempt to interfere with those laws only leads to less material well being for all.

cloud_cuckoo_land.png

You're a fucking idiot. First of all, it's against the law.

We know it's against the law, asshole. This entire thread is about whether it should be. perhaps you didn't bother to read the thread title.

Secondly, there were no shortages, only a shortage of stations who had their power restored. It took a few days. Third, when Christie went to odd-even days for gas, the lines ended.

In other words, there were shortages, and, yes, when you create shortages with price controls, then, short of removing the price controls, rationing is the only way to "solve" them.

The main thing this thread proves is that every lib is an economic ignoramus.

Do you have any bigger straw man's argument with what happened by the price gouging?
Your comment is sure indicative of how you republicans think and feel about America.
As long as there is a dollar to be made or saved and at anyone's demise then do it and do it fast.
Here is something that will make you wet your panties, just for you.
Read it and comment about how they were so unjustly picked on.
BP criminal fine brings some relief to spill-hit Gulf residents | Reuters
Portion of the story: "With the arrogance of BP, $4.5 billion is no where near enough," said Tony Kennon, mayor of Orange Beach, Alabama, saying the spill shook his city's tourism-centered economy to the core. "The Justice Department took the easy way out. It was a brother-in-law deal."
Here is corporations and all their greediness at its finest:
And the best of all is............................................Rep. Joe Barton Apologizes to BP's Tony Hayward for White House "Shakedown"

BP Plans $5.9 Billion Share Buy Back After Criminal Fine In Aim To Boost Lagging Stock: Report

Capitalist pigs at their finest. So much for the private sector giving a shit about the down and out citizens.

N.J. charges 8 merchants with gouging after Sandy* - Business on NBCNews.com

New Jersey has filed lawsuits against eight businesses for allegedly gouging customers with exorbitant prices in the days after Superstorm Sandy roared ashore, the state's attorney general said Friday.

and the state owned power company left the poor schmucks out in da cold to freeze to death and bamie didn't give a hairy rats ass about dey plight.

In NYC it lasted alot longer than that, and we lost a hell of a lot less power to the stations. What killed us was the second a station got a gas delivery everyone ran to it, no matter how much gas they already had, created 4 hour lines, and sucked the station dry before the next delivery could arrive. This then got repeated at the next station to get a delivery, then the next, ad nasusem.

In this case, if the price rose to $8 a gallon, people who already had gas would have stayed off the lines, allowing those who needed it (me, I had 1/4 tank in my car for 2 weeks, alot of walking) would have paid for it, and maybe the stations would have been able to build up inventory. At that point prices could have returned to normal.

Its either that or since the government regulates prices in these situations, it needs to have CLEAR CONCISE rules, ready to go, to artificially stifle demand until the supply comes back. If they dont, then its the government's fault I couldnt gas up my fucking car for a week and a half. $10 gas would have allowed me to do that on my own.

First off, the issue isn't New York, it's New Jersey. The lines quickly went away when Christie implemented odd-even gas days for a week. Are you against the right of a state to pass laws? Take that up with Trenton.

First off, the issue isn't New York, it's New Jersey. The lines quickly went away when Christie implemented odd-even gas days for a week. Are you against the right of a state to pass laws? Take that up with Trenton.

The discussion has actually moved into the realm of what is price gouging, and its effect on both scarcity, and hoarding, regardless of location. Why are you bringing up the state it happened in all of a sudden? Is it because you have no counter to my statement, and felt the need to bring up the "States rights" strawman?

Hmmm....

Why should people be condemned for doing the rational thing and helping everyone else out? Are you happy seeing people fight over 10 gals of gas?

Any private company has the right to be the biggest fucking douchebag during a time of humanitarian crisis but that company had better not piss and moan and act surprised when public awareness runs to the media to denounce their douchebaggery and call for a boycott of their business.

Liberals are some of the only people that truly believe starving and dying people in the streets is 100% a good thing. Thanks Obama, thanks FDR for raising entire generations of dependent chit for brain haters

Why should people be condemned for doing the rational thing and helping everyone else out? Are you happy seeing people fight over 10 gals of gas?

Any private company has the right to be the biggest fucking douchebag during a time of humanitarian crisis but that company had better not piss and moan and act surprised when public awareness runs to the media to denounce their douchebaggery and call for a boycott of their business.

How many businesses have been boycotted as a result?
I'd be grateful to any business that was able to supply me with a commodity I really needed, as opposed to just shoving a "Closed" sign in my face and telling me to fuck off.

I'd be grateful to any business that was able to supply me with a commodity I really needed, as opposed to just shoving a "Closed" sign in my face and telling me to fuck off.

......and could afford the new price.......

I love it, Government fails to be there, the privet sector shows up and libernoobs blame the privet sector. I wonder if the Government will wait until AFTER they are back online to stop the evil privet sector or shut them down so people can go back to being homeless, lack of food and water and no power...

Maybe one day the Privet sector will get to run trillion dollar deficits and keep doing business. I wonder how well the Government would be doing if they had to pay 30% taxes on all their revenue (made by taxes) and bankrupcy when they spend more than they have.

Kind of sad when people are more concerned with keeping those providing services from profit than they are of helping people.

No one is helped by price gouging except the store owner.

The idea that jacking up the price on your existing inventory will somehow cause damaged infrastructure to magically be repaired in such a way that only you and other gougers will be able to get more inventory in - is just plain fucking retarded. If the road that your gasoline is shipped in on is out - its out - and no amount of fucking your customers will change that.

So only these 8 businesses were able to supply people with the commodities they needed and it was because they jacked up their prices. Their power stayed on and their supply lines stayed open - because they gouged people.

Got it.

Kind of sad when people are more concerned with keeping those providing services from profit than they are of helping people.

No one is helped by price gouging except the store owner.

The idea that jacking up the price on your existing inventory will somehow cause damaged infrastructure to magically be repaired in such a way that only you and other gougers will be able to get more inventory in - is just plain fucking retarded. If the road that your gasoline is shipped in on is out - its out - and no amount of fucking your customers will change that.

I thought I explained before. The issue wasnt the roads in Queens, it was that people were panic buying, and draining a station dry before they could get a second truck in a few hours later. In this situation, $10 gas might have prevented people from hoarding and filling up when they already had plenty of gas, and allowed people like me, who had the money and 1/8 of a tank to fill up without wondering if we wasted 4 hours on a line, only to find the pumps out before we reached them.

Forum List

Back