N.H. says he'll legalize gay marriage if they add religious exemptions

Discussion in 'Politics' started by chrismac, May 15, 2009.

1. chrismac

chrismac Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Link

This is bullshit for a couple of reasons. First off, Gov. Lynch said he believes civil unions are sufficient for gay couples, and that he believes marriage is between man and woman. Either that was a lie, or he pussed out of his religious belief so liberals will like him. The issue of religious exemptions will appease no one. Religious people who use instances where religious organizations have had to yield to the wishes of the gay community use these anecdotes as a cautionary tale against legalizing stuff like gay marriage as a way to appease gays and lesbians...even if they're not entitled to it. I don't think anyone is really worried about a church being forced to marry a gay couple. I've never thought "slights to religious freedom" would come directly from gay marriage, though I've always thought gay marriage would receive a boost in support every time we do something to make religious belief look petty and raggedy and insignificant. Like Gov. Lynch has done.

"Religious protections" strike me as a lame attempt at a consolation prize. It's just a glib way of saying, "you lost, gays won, thanks for playing!"

There is no civil right to gay marriage. There is no constitutional right being infringed upon by not legalizing gay marriage. There is no social mandate to legalize gay marriage (there aren't that many gay couples period, especially in NH, and there aren't that many who want to marry). This is just partisan politics and ignoring the will of the people.

2. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Religions are already protected, just because it's legal doesn't mean the churches have to do it, nor does it mean they have to support it, nor do the churches even have to recognize it. That's a spin.

3. chrismac

chrismac Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10
    It's highly doubtful a church will be forced to actually marry a gay couple. That doesn't even sound right. What could, and likely will happen is preachers who are also ordained by the state to solemnize marriage will either have to marry same-sex couples or lose their ability to marry anyone.

4. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Doubt it, they don't have to marry everyone as it is. Many preachers don't marry pagans (those openly pagan) or Muslim, Jewish, etc. but usually that doesn't come up because there are plenty of religious leaders in those religions anyhow and if not, a Justice of the Peace does it, and that's their job so they don't have a place to complain about it. How many couples do you know would want to be married by someone who doesn't want to marry them, it's not logical.

5. Pyrite

Pyrite Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20
    If the people didn't want equality for gays they shouldn't have elected a legistature that would vote for a bill granting gays equality.

6. chrismac

chrismac Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10
    That is one of the dumbest things I've heard in awhile. The citizens don't have a crystal ball, and they voted for the Governor who said marriage is between a man and a woman.

7. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,078
    Religious institutions should not be forced to marry anyone, period.

That would be breaking the first amendment for our government to force such....

8. Nik

Nik Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Aww. The people wanted to discriminate and they don't get too. Hold on while I get out the worlds tiniest violin.

9. chrismac

chrismac Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10
    That's the same attitude I have about people who whine about gay couples not being able to marry.

10. Nik

Nik Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Of course you wouldn't feel bad that people get discriminated against. No surprise there.