N.C. officials: 2,116 of state's sex offenders found on MySpace

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
(CNN) -- More than 2,100 registered North Carolina sex offenders were found on the social networking site MySpace, the state attorney general's office said Tuesday.
North Carolina bans sex offenders within the state from social networking sites where children are members.

North Carolina bans sex offenders within the state from social networking sites where children are members.

In response to a subpoena from state Attorney General Roy Cooper, "MySpace turned over the names, IP and e-mail addresses of 2,116 convicted North Carolina sex offenders found on its social networking Web site," Cooper's office said in a written statement.

Cooper has requested similar information from Facebook, another popular social networking site, the statement said.

MySpace has told North Carolina authorities that the sex offenders it identified have been removed from the site.

North Carolina's State Bureau of Investigation is sharing the sex offenders' information with all 100 sheriffs in the state, Cooper's office said.

"It's no secret that child predators are on these Web sites," Cooper said in the statement. "Turning over information about these predators to law enforcement helps, but MySpace, Facebook and other social networks need to do much more to protect kids online."

North Carolina passed a law last year banning sex offenders within the state from social networking sites where children are members, making it a felony offense.

N.C. officials: 2,116 of state's sex offenders found on MySpace - CNN.com

This is good.:eusa_eh:

What "more" would Cooper suggest? Should these sites ask people if they are RSOs as part of the registration process? Why doesn't he create a punchlist of items he would like for them to do, instead of spouting populist nonsense about how they need to "do more."

MySpace, despite consistent claims to the contrary in the media, is one of the most proactive against predators of any site on the web. And one of the most secure for kids.

Oh, just my luck. I just joined the other day. I'm assuming they would be lurking around MySpace because it caters to a younger crowd.

Forum List

Back