Myths of Protectionism

Ah crap, sho's back.

If RGS is back to, the forums are gonna have a lote more ntillectual cripple fights in the near-future. Let's just hope ABS doesn't get in on it, too, or those damned kids will keep the whole neighborhood up.

The late Professor Milton Friedman said, "Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself." Some people justify their calls for protectionism by claiming that they're for free trade but fair trade. That's nonsense. Think about it: When I purchased my Lexus from a Japanese producer, through an intermediary, I received what I wanted. The Japanese producer received what he wanted. In my book, that's a fair trade.

Thanks for lewtting us know Friedman doens't know what Fair Trade is and had to resort to a strawman. Not surprising you'd parrot such things.
When you have any economic facts you'd like to bring to the table, rather than standard nativist protectionist boilerplate, let us all know...Until then, go piss up a rope.

Ah crap, sho's back.

If RGS is back to, the forums are gonna have a lote more ntillectual cripple fights in the near-future. Let's just hope ABS doesn't get in on it, too, or those damned kids will keep the whole neighborhood up.

I'm marveling at your declarations on intelligence while sifting through your attempt at spelling.

See that little red squiggly line? Care to venture a guess as to what that is trying to tell you before you hit the send button?

so how is that Irish economy these days?
How are any of the Eurozone economies these days?

is that lil piece of silliness supposed to deflect from that poster child for free trade that was touted in Ireland?

so.. Dude.. how is that going these days?
You have anything besides you say-so to prove that free trade is responsible for Ireland's problems?

How are any of the Eurozone economies these days?

is that lil piece of silliness supposed to deflect from that poster child for free trade that was touted in Ireland?

You have anything besides you say-so to prove that free trade is responsible for Ireland's problems?

hehehehe... CLEARLY, Cthulu is what is REALLY at the heart of Ireland's (and our) economic meltdown... clearly, CLEARLY it's not selling out the local for the sake of the foreign!

:rolleyes:

Ah crap, sho's back.

How does ABS get thrown into this?

I've never even seen him attempt to discuss econ, let alone add anything intelligent to ANYTHING.

Ah crap, sho's back.

I'm marveling at your declarations on intelligence while sifting through your attempt at spelling.

See that little red squiggly line? Care to venture a guess as to what that is trying to tell you before you hit the send button?
Meh. You're not important enough to bother with proofreading.

hehehehe... CLEARLY, Cthulu is what is REALLY at the heart of Ireland's (and our) economic meltdown... clearly, CLEARLY it's not selling out the local for the sake of the foreign!

Your say-so still isn't evidence.

Ah crap, sho's back.

:lol:

but, I'm important enough to comment about.. yea, you go ahead and keep telling yourself that and maybe, MAYBE your self esteem will do what your penis no longer can.

It sucks that you FMC's always seem to have giant, catastrophic economic disasters to disavow, doesn't it?

Dude just hates protectionism because if you get rid of protective tariffs as well as the taxes he wants to get rid of, you defund the government completely, thereby achieving his anarchist pipedream without having to be honest about it. All his posts must be considered in light of his stated beliefs and what he's revealed about himself in the past, to really see what he means.

and your denial doesn't invalidate the correlation that you find yourself always having to deny.

Ah crap, sho's back.

I've never even seen him attempt to discuss econ, let alone add anything intelligent to ANYTHING.
He, Sho, and RGS have been known to fill threads with various epitaphs and rude terms for eachother.

It's sad, really, because Sho actually does make sensible posts when he's not fighting with someone. He tends to get drawn into such petty squabbles, though. Or he has in the past, anyway.

Myth 1: “The cost of protection and its flipside, gains from trade, are negligible.” ...
Myth 2: “Free trade may increase economic prosperity, but it is bad for the working class.” ...
Myth 3: “Free trade requires that other countries also open their markets.” ...
Myth 4: “Paul Samuelson abandoned free trade, and he was the greatest economist of his time.” ...
Myth 5: “Offshoring of jobs will devastate rich countries.”
Protectionist Myths - Project Syndicate
I dunno...those sound like strawmen to me.

and your denial doesn't invalidate the correlation that you find yourself always having to deny.
Draw the correlation...You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a crayon to do so.

:lol:

but, I'm important enough to comment about.. yea, you go ahead and keep telling yourself that and maybe, MAYBE your self esteem will do what your penis no longer can.

It sucks that you FMC's always seem to have giant, catastrophic economic disasters to disavow, doesn't it?

What the fuck is an FMC?

I'm a moderate social democrat who advocates a decentralized social democracy with protective tariffs and fair trade laws than ban imported goods produced in sweatshops to reduce the exploitation of the poor and make 'outsourcing' less attractive and keeps jobs and manufacturing inside the United States, with trade being supplementing rather than replacing American production and invention. Two birds, one stone.

Ah crap, sho's back.

He, Sho, and RGS have been known to fill threads with various epitaphs and rude terms for eachother.

It's sad, really, because Sho actually does make sensible posts when he's not fighting with someone. He tends to get drawn into such petty squabbles, though. Or he has in the past, anyway.

RGS is a different animal completely. Shogun is my economic opposite, but his humor balances that out for me. ABS is just a dork.

I have to ask you this, even though it's off topic.

With your economic and political views, how the hell are you an advocate of Austrian economics? How does that even remotely fit into your broader economic viewpoint?

The late Professor Milton Friedman said, "Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself." Some people justify their calls for protectionism by claiming that they're for free trade but fair trade. That's nonsense. Think about it: When I purchased my Lexus from a Japanese producer, through an intermediary, I received what I wanted. The Japanese producer received what he wanted. In my book, that's a fair trade.

Thanks for lewtting us know Friedman doens't know what Fair Trade is and had to resort to a strawman. Not surprising you'd parrot such things.

hOW IS this a straw argument? How is fair determined by a third party not part of the transaction when both participants are happy with it?

Forum List

Back