Myth: Religion is one of history's leading causes of war and bloodshed.

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by manifold, Jun 24, 2009.

1. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,718
    I've seen many a simpleton opine that religion is the single greatest cause of war. This is simply not true. Religion is however, one of history's most successful tools for unifying a populace and maintaining public order. And yes, this very element has oft been exploited by leaders of men as a means to arrouse support and justifcation for going to war. But that makes evil those that exploit the tool for evil, not the tool itself. If a man hacked up your family with a hatchet, would you blame the hatchet or the man? On the whole, religion has been an absolute boon for humanity in terms of both survival and prosperity. Without which we may very well not be here talking about it today. To categorically dismiss religion as a scourge of humanity is to betray a marked dearth of wisdom and maturity.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  2. wvulax

wvulax Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I would blame the man's mental illness or reason for doing it as well.

Islam is one of those religions that has brought prosperity to the world.

Your argument of blaming the man not the hatchet would apply to all the benefits as well. It was the nice man not the tool. If religion is a corruptable tool that can be replaced by other means why wouldn't we want get rid of it?

3. amrchaos

amrchaos Pentheus torn apart

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    I have a different take on this.

Yes--religion is a leading excuse for men to kill each other, but religion itself is not the motivating factor that encourages murder. The motivating factors are envy, greed, desire, pride, and mistrusts of others intentions(fear). Religion is used to gain suport among those who are under the sway of these motivating factors.

I guess I am not being a good Atheists today. Maybe It is because I am a little groggy still, what do you guys think?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,718
    Agreed

Can you give me an example of other means that would be equally beneficial and at the same time less corruptable?

5. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,718
    I don't think this take is all that different actually. Or in other words, I agree. :cool:

6. Al Gunn

Al Gunn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    All religions are violent, jihad, crusade... sanctioned war by the clergy or their books. It's all about subjugating women and conquering/converting as much land, money and people as possible. Has nothing to do with greed of man... it's the religion that's greedy.

7. wvulax

wvulax Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10
    religion is a source of law and rules, but we have governments now.

one of the benefits you vaguely referred to has to be education, spread of knowledge. Monks made books, Islam started madras, etc.. Not only is the best technical university not religious, MIT, but madras are used more for brainwashing and indoctrination centers now. Many private schools are religious and they give a good education, but I would argue that's because they were there first. Liberty university is an example of a modern religious institution that failed. It still exists, but when falwell owned it, the school went bankrupt. btw I plan to boycott the game they have with WVU not that it matters at all.

I'm not saying that we should eliminate religion all together because seriously i love that peppermint bark that Ghiradelis comes out with at christmas. I just don't want to be as religious as the US is. I don't know how they would gauge this, but I have heard that we're they most religious western nation. I would agree with this statement because some of the biggest issues in politics are abortion, evolution/creationism, gay marriage, and they're all religiously based arguments.

8. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,754
    Your title is wrong, religion is one of history's leading causes of war and bloodshed.

Your OP is also wrong, I don't recall anyone saying it is the single greatest cause of war.

Not to mention the opposing messages.

:cuckoo:

9. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,718
    Are you suggesting that governments are less corruptable? :eusa_eh:

Or even equally beneficial?

10. tigerbob

tigerbob Increasingly jaded.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    I agree with you. A leading "excuse" or "reason" for war is, for my money, somewhat different to a leading "cause" of war. Religion should be a force for good. It is the manner in which it is twisted by certain adherents (of all faiths) to suit their own ends that is the problem.