Myth of the Clinton surplus

The Clinton years showed the effects of a large tax increase that Clinton pushed through in his first year, and that Republicans incorrectly claim is the "largest tax increase in history." It fell almost exclusively on upper-income taxpayers. Clinton’s fiscal 1994 budget also contained some spending restraints. An equally if not more powerful influence was the booming economy and huge gains in the stock markets, the so-called dot-com bubble, which brought in hundreds of millions in unanticipated tax revenue from taxes on capital gains and rising salaries.

Clinton’s large budget surpluses also owe much to the Social Security tax on payrolls. Social Security taxes now bring in more than the cost of current benefits, and the "Social Security surplus" makes the total deficit or surplus figures look better than they would if Social Security wasn’t counted. But even if we remove Social Security from the equation, there was a surplus of $1.9 billion in fiscal 1999 and $86.4 billion in fiscal 2000. So any way you count it, the federal budget was balanced and the deficit was erased, if only for a while.

FactCheck.org : The Budget and Deficit Under Clinton

The bolded part up there in your screed is wrong.. Soc Sec went NEGATIVE in 2010.. 6 years AHEAD of predictions. Partly because Dear Leader is now stealing the FICA premiums to give tax breaks.

And I have a hard time believing that without the SS surplus that was STOLEN -- ANY Clinton budgets were truly balanced. $1.9Bill is an accounting round-off error in the budget.
They've lost more change than that under the rug in the Congressional Post Office..

FederalDeficit(1).jpg

Q: During the Clinton administration was the federal budget balanced? Was the federal deficit erased?

A: Yes to both questions, whether you count Social Security or not

FULL ANSWER: FactCheck.org : The Budget and Deficit Under Clinton

What FUCKED CHECK didn't state was the FACT that clinton used the SS surplus which was EARNED BY THE BOOMERS AND SHOULD HAVE STAYED IN ALGORE'S LOCKBOX to beef up his numbers.

There was never a surplus. He robbed the SS fund.

Remember "ENRON"? It flurished during the Clinton administration. Marc Rich was the nost notorious corporate criminal in history and was on the FBI 10 most wanted. Bill Clinton pardoned him in abstencia in exchange for a million dollar donatoon to his "library'. The FALN Puerto Rican terrorist bombers were pardoned and released from NYS Prison for no discernable reason other than the probability that it might glean a couple of thousand votes for his wife's senate campaign.

President Clinton: 8 years of peace, progress and prosperity.

Eight years of peace? Really? :rolleyes:

Yeah -- I was gonna flag that myself..

I remember a Chinese Embassy and several commuter trains getting in the way of our emaculate 40 day/40 night bombing of Serbia.. DAILY pounding on the Iraqis til we LITERALLY ran out of bombs. Mad AllBright declaring the 200,000 dead Iraqi citizens considered to be "justified"..

Let's see --- Somalia, Sudan, Afghanistan, Bosnia, Kosovo --- did I miss anyone that got bombed. Just put your hand up if I did..

Actually I remember now that under the Clinton Admin, the Treasury had a problem with the Surplus. Seems like the Fed Govt is prohibited from keeping a cash balance. So they had to figure out how to USE the surplus.. It was used to encourage the early buy-back of bonds that were outstanding. A process that cost money to implement and a loss was taken on every dollar of publically held debt bought back.. Silly -- but those are the sad problems of a surplus..

funny how a few facts in a few posts will send the libtards fleeing....

The OP is a moron. Obviously. But let's forget about that. Clinton's record speaks for itself. 22 million jobs. Somebody should tell Bush that we didn't have a surplus. Remember when he said that American taxpayers have overpaid the government, and it's time they got a refund?

And speaking of deficits -- how much did Bush add to it? And where are those trickle down tax-cut fueled jobs that we're supposed to be swimming in?

I'd take clinton in a new york minute right about now....

obama will be known as the worst president in history.

in reality, he's a traitor.

That title belongs to Bush. 8 years, 3 million jobs, record deficit growth, 2 unfunded wars.

In reality, you're about as dumb as a pile of shit.

That title belongs to Bush. 8 years, 3 million jobs, record deficit growth, 2 unfunded wars.

that's a good one. Your debate prowess is unmatched.

you never answered my question though. people choose an avatar that is the opposite of their personality.... so which is it... are you weak and timid, or are you a woman?

e-thug1-300x240.jpg

8 years of peace (of ass) prophylactics and pathological lying.

Didn't the Gulf war happen under Clinton? Not to mention 2 huge bubbles, one that we are still living in a recession over...

You stupid NaziCons are hilarious.

I'm not a nazi or a nazicon... But you're a troll.

I did look it up, it was under Bush. I was 9 years old then, sorry I remembered it wrong.

Bill Clinton is full of shit, with some budget magic he started counting the Social Security surplus as part of the budget. He is a lying sack of shit about everything in his life....even liking his wife, Hillary.

Tell me of a president that has not used the SS surplus as part of the budget? Reagan? GH Bush?, GW Bush? Yea, thought so.

In reality...you're about as ignorant as ignorant gets.

When Bush took office and finally got up to speed since Clinton and Gore refused to provide a transition team (Something even Obama has already began by providing Romney with national security briefings by the way. So you may actually be right about Obama not being worse...in a fashion.) at any rate, by the time Bush got up to speed, the second worst recession since the great depression was already well under way thanks to the dot com bubble bursting.

A few minutes later, there was a little something we refer to simply as 9/11. You MIGHT remember it? At any rate, that event lead to the greatest...to that date...one day drop of the market in history. Not to mention that world markets dropped by 5-10%, half of the airlines in the US went out of business and the people who made and serviced planes followed. The city of New York lost 28 BILLION dollars in the last 3 months of 2011 ALONE!

Guess who bailed them out? That's right, US! 22 BILLION over 3 months. Is that Bush's fault genius?

And on top of that, since there were LITERALLY 11 non nuclear CRUSE missiles left in the entire US arsenal that Bubba hadn't shot at baby aspirin factories...we had to REBUILD the military Clinton had raped before we could even THINK about responding in Afghanistan. And that is NOT hyperbole...its a matter of historical fact!

Now...in your IGNORANCE, if you want to blame someone for the 2 "unfunded" wars and their cost...blame YOUR CONGRESSMEN and Bill Clinton! Cause I PROMISE you that they voted for the resolution that authorized the use of force in Afghanistan and Iraq since there were only 3 that didn't. And Bill Clinton left or force strength at the lowest point that it had been since before WWII!

On the other hand, that is something that you can NOT blame your congressman for in the mess we now have in Libya. See, Obama did not ask for congressional approval before attacking the sovereign country of Libya as the law requires. He views the Constitution as an inconvenience to be ignored where ever possible.

On the other hand, it appears Obama is determined to repeat the mistakes of every democrat president, from FDR to Clinton. If he allows the 1/2 trillion dollar cut to defense spending to go into effect, it WILL reduce our strength of forces to the lowest point in over a hundred years. And THAT is according to his own people at the Pentagon!

As to the so called Clinton budget surplus...that has been addressed. It's BULL SHIT!

In 1989, the democrat congress...faced with what was considered huge and growing deficits, passed legislation that put the Social Security Trust Fund ON budget and left the Social Security Liabilities...OFF budget, beginning in 1992. So in one year, we went from a 435 billion dollar deficit to a 1.2 TRILLION dollar surplus!

Clinton didn't have SHIT to do with it. He was just the lech in office when the budget bomb the democrats planted went off. Of course, THEY thought they would still be in power and get credit for it, but didn't realize what the pushback for supporting Hillarycare and personal scandals would be for them.

Democrats just never learn. Come November...they're gonna learn the consequences for supporting Hillarycare part 2...Obamacare!

President Clinton: 8 years of peace, progress and prosperity.

Eight years of peace? Really? :rolleyes:

Yeah -- I was gonna flag that myself..

I remember a Chinese Embassy and several commuter trains getting in the way of our emaculate 40 day/40 night bombing of Serbia.. DAILY pounding on the Iraqis til we LITERALLY ran out of bombs. Mad AllBright declaring the 200,000 dead Iraqi citizens considered to be "justified"..

Let's see --- Somalia, Sudan, Afghanistan, Bosnia, Kosovo --- did I miss anyone that got bombed. Just put your hand up if I did..

How about the '93 bombing of the World Trade Center.

Forum List

Back