Myth busting Canadian healthcare

So Is the OP wrong/incorrect? or just from a liberal source?
i read through some of it, and yes, it is wrong

There is more right than wrong in that article.

I'd take issue with a few things.

1. Not really true. I think the point of it being "socialized medicine" is semantics. ~75% of all healthcare expenditure is spent by the government. I'd say that's "socialized medicine" even if the doctors' practices are private.

2. Sort of true. Doctor's do take a hit financially. For most of the past 35 years, that has been net immigration by doctors to the US, primarily to earn more money. I disagree with his contention that doctors are more focused and relaxed in Canada than in the US.

3. Not really true. Wait times can be horrendous. The author is downplaying this. My mother had her knee replaced recently. She had to wait six months. My father was in pain from neurological problems. It took him nearly a year to have it fixed. These are "lifestyle" issues so they are not given priority, and you get on wait lists. The doctor will say something like "We'll try to get you in in six months" but you don't know when since you have to wait for a phone call telling you they can now proceed. Try planning to go away on a vacation when you have to wait for the doctor to give you two weeks notice anytime within the next six to twelve months. However, for critical issues such as cancer or hypertension, you are in the hospital right now. There are no waiting times if needed.

4. Generally true but I've known people who lived in big cities who had to wait for some time before they could find a GP.

5. Absolutely true.

6. True.

7. Absolutely true.

8. Generally true. There is rationing - see (3.). But there is no rationing for critical procedures no matter what the age. So the elderly aren't rationed.

9. Generally true but not entirely. My wife's cousin is a nurse, and she has horror stories about the abuse of the system by a small part of the population.

10. Somewhat true. Medicare is eating up more and more of the government's budgets, meaning that other services are being cut to meet increased medicare spending.

I'd say this - Currently, I would rather be in the US than in Canada for healthcare. However, if I lost my job or I was poor, Canada would be a better option. One of my friends was a marketing professional in New York City. She could no longer work at her job due to a chronic medical condition, so she chose to go back to Canada because she would get better care at for better value in Canada.

Last edited:

1. Not really true. I think the point of it being "socialized medicine" is semantics. ~75% of all healthcare expenditure is spent by the government. I'd say that's "socialized medicine" even if the doctors' practices are private.

2. Sort of true. Doctor's do take a hit financially. For most of the past 35 years, that has been net immigration by doctors to the US, primarily to earn more money. I disagree with his contention that doctors are more focused and relaxed in Canada than in the US.

3. Not really true. Wait times can be horrendous. The author is downplaying this. My mother had her knee replaced recently. She had to wait six months. My father was in pain from neurological problems. It took him nearly a year to have it fixed. These are "lifestyle" issues so they are not given priority, and you get on wait lists. The doctor will say something like "We'll try to get you in in six months" but you don't know when since you have to wait for a phone call telling you they can now proceed. Try planning to go away on a vacation when you have to wait for the doctor to give you two weeks notice anytime within the next six to twelve months. However, for critical issues such as cancer or hypertension, you are in the hospital right now. There are no waiting times if needed.

4. Generally true but I've known people who lived in big cities who had to wait for some time before they could find a GP.

5. Absolutely true.

6. True.

7. Absolutely true.

8. Generally true. There is rationing - see (3.). But there is no rationing for critical procedures no matter what the age. So the elderly aren't rationed.

9. Generally true but not entirely. My wife's cousin is a nurse, and she has horror stories about the abuse of the system by a small part of the population.

10. Somewhat true. Medicare is eating up more and more of the government's budgets, meaning that other services are being cut to meet increased medicare spending.

I'd say this - Currently, I would rather be in the US than in Canada for healthcare. However, if I lost my job or I was poor, Canada would be a better option. One of my friends was a marketing professional in New York City. She could no longer work at her job due to a chronic medical condition, so she chose to go back to Canada because she would get better care at for better value in Canada.
there is enough totally false and other twisted to not actually trust that as a source
which is exactly my point
all he ever posts is crap from far left biased sites

5. Absolutely true.

6. True.

7. Absolutely true.

And there it is. The bottom line is the American health care system is better.

:lol::lol:

I'd suggest you are making a rash assumption that I'm an authority on anything!

Are you not a Canadian?

Yoo bet I yam, eh!

Then you are an authority on what you want in life....as a Canadian who has a choice. You are an authority on what the Canadian health care system is in reality..not what some spin article wants you to believe. At this time you feel that the American health care system is better. A health care system that is not a government social program.

Are you not a Canadian?

Yoo bet I yam, eh!

Then you are an authority on what you want in life....as a Canadian who has a choice. You are an authority on what the Canadian health care system is in reality..not what some spin article wants you to believe. At this time you feel that the American health care system is better. A health care system that is not a government social program.

This is true, but I think most Canadians would disagree with me, or at least disagree that they'd want the American system over the Canadian one.

Americans have a lot of mis-information about the Canadian system, but Canadians also have a lot of mis-information about the American system. A Canadian could easily write a similar article as the OP about the US system. Also, I am part of a Canadian club here in Florida. As a guess, based on the discussions we've had, I'd say the majority of Canadians here prefer the American system. But we all agree that if we lost our jobs, it's better to be in Canada.

I'll also say that I may one day start my own business, and I may go back to Canada to do so in part because of healthcare. I don't know if I will or not, but when I run the numbers in my head, I'm not sure if I am better off down here. My guess is that when I take everything into account, I am better off in America, but that is a calculus I wouldn't have ever dreamed about when I first moved to America 14 years ago.

Yoo bet I yam, eh!

This is true, but I think most Canadians would disagree with me, or at least disagree that they'd want the American system over the Canadian one.

Americans have a lot of mis-information about the Canadian system, but Canadians also have a lot of mis-information about the American system. A Canadian could easily write a similar article as the OP about the US system. Also, I am part of a Canadian club here in Florida. As a guess, based on the discussions we've had, I'd say the majority of Canadians here prefer the American system. But we all agree that if we lost our jobs, it's better to be in Canada.

I'll also say that I may one day start my own business, and I may go back to Canada to do so in part because of healthcare. I don't know if I will or not, but when I run the numbers in my head, I'm not sure if I am better off down here. My guess is that when I take everything into account, I am better off in America, but that is a calculus I wouldn't have ever dreamed about when I first moved to America 14 years ago.

What province did you live in? Just wondering, based on your opinions of healthcare. I lived in Ontario-and preferred their healthcare system to US.The majority of Canadians I know are very satisfied with their healthcare (I only know people in ON), and in all fairness none of them have lived in the US that I know of.

What province did you live in? Just wondering, based on your opinions of healthcare. I lived in Ontario-and preferred their healthcare system to US.The majority of Canadians I know are very satisfied with their healthcare (I only know people in ON), and in all fairness none of them have lived in the US that I know of.

I lived in Saskatchewan, British Columbia and Ontario.

Forum List

Back