Mysterious lights over the Outer Bans

UFOs off the Outer Banks?

Your guess is as good as ours, but that’s the conclusion many have come to after watching a video that’s been making headlines over the past couple of weeks.

William Guy shared the now-viral footage, which he refers to as a “real UFO sighting,” on YouTube on September 28. The clip in question appears to show a cluster of 14 glowing orbs hovering above a body of water said to be Pamlico Sound.

“Anybody tell me what that is?” Guy says in the 31-second video. “We’re in the middle of the ocean, on a ferry, nothing around. Look. Nothing around. No land, no nothing.”

According to The Charlotte Observer, Guy, who is from Indiana, is one of many workers sent to repair damage caused by Hurricane Dorian on Ocracoke Island. The video was reportedly filmed aboard a ferry crossing from Ocracoke Island to Swan Quarter.

But not everybody is convinced that the peculiar orbs are UFOs. A number of commenters have suggested that they’re actually military flares. After all, Camp Lejeune and Fort Bragg aren’t too far away.

Still, Guy wrote on YouTube that he’s not convinced.

“A lot of people I have talked to here on the island said it was flares, but they also said they have never seen anything like what I captured.”

UFOs or flares? You be the judge!

Mysterious Orbs Filmed Hovering Off the Outer Banks Ignite UFO Debate

St Elmos fire. Sailors have been reporting such phenomena for centuries. It could also be a strange atmospheric reflection of the sun.

Weather balloon.
download (37).jpeg
Now continue about your business...

UFOs off the Outer Banks?

Your guess is as good as ours, but that’s the conclusion many have come to after watching a video that’s been making headlines over the past couple of weeks.

William Guy shared the now-viral footage, which he refers to as a “real UFO sighting,” on YouTube on September 28. The clip in question appears to show a cluster of 14 glowing orbs hovering above a body of water said to be Pamlico Sound.

“Anybody tell me what that is?” Guy says in the 31-second video. “We’re in the middle of the ocean, on a ferry, nothing around. Look. Nothing around. No land, no nothing.”

According to The Charlotte Observer, Guy, who is from Indiana, is one of many workers sent to repair damage caused by Hurricane Dorian on Ocracoke Island. The video was reportedly filmed aboard a ferry crossing from Ocracoke Island to Swan Quarter.

But not everybody is convinced that the peculiar orbs are UFOs. A number of commenters have suggested that they’re actually military flares. After all, Camp Lejeune and Fort Bragg aren’t too far away.

Still, Guy wrote on YouTube that he’s not convinced.

“A lot of people I have talked to here on the island said it was flares, but they also said they have never seen anything like what I captured.”

UFOs or flares? You be the judge!

Mysterious Orbs Filmed Hovering Off the Outer Banks Ignite UFO Debate

The first thing I thought was defensive flares.

They are probably military flares, suspended by parachutes..
Reminds me of some folks lighting Chinese lanterns from a boat. Had us wondering what the hell as the lights seemed to float with no noise, until we got closer and saw them rising from the boat.

That there is space junk re-entering the atmosphere. It is far away (50 miles at least, I wager, maybe 100), and very bright. It is moving very fast, but does not appear to be moving much from the vantage point of the observer. It's so bright and far enough away that the atmosphere creates a lensing effect, making it appear closer than it actually is. I would wager that, could we watch the rest of the video, we would watch these lights flicker out one by one, as the space junk decelerates and eventually splashes down harmlessly.

Last edited:
That there is space junk re-entering the atmosphere. It is far away (50 miles at least, I wager), and very bright. It is moving very fast, but does not appear to be moving much from the vantage point of the observer. It's so bright and far enough away that the atmosphere creates a lensing effect, making it appear closer than it actually is. I would wager that, could we watch the rest of the video, we would watch these lights flicker out one by one, as the space junk decelerates and eventually splashes down harmlessly.

Yea, funny how the video is so short. Why wouldn’t everybody be recording it?

That there is space junk re-entering the atmosphere. It is far away (50 miles at least, I wager), and very bright. It is moving very fast, but does not appear to be moving much from the vantage point of the observer. It's so bright and far enough away that the atmosphere creates a lensing effect, making it appear closer than it actually is. I would wager that, could we watch the rest of the video, we would watch these lights flicker out one by one, as the space junk decelerates and eventually splashes down harmlessly.
The Brief Shot In The OP
Two Seem To Flicker To Me
Going With The Simplest Solution...Flares

St. Elmo's Fire Are Static Charges In The Rigging

Yea, funny how the video is so short. Why wouldn’t everybody be recording it?
I wondered that myself.

New Topics

Forum List

Back