Myriad Labs. You saw it on 60 Minutes.

Rod, because Myriad claimed to have a patent on the cancer gene of a woman who died, they claimed that they had exclusive right to test for that gene. A simple procedure that could be done for a hundred dollars in any of several hundred labs in the United States suddenly cost thousands of dollars to pay those satanically evil sons of bitches at Myriad so they could drive around in expensive cars and take their wives to fancy night clubs and so on.

I think those people need to be tried for murder. No if's, and's or but's about it. We need to improvise a better justice system that can try those creeps and execute them on the same day. Damn them to hell. That is where they belong.

And how much money and time did Myriad put in to study the gene and develop and test a diagnostic kit? You think if there was no patent rights on products that anybody would put that much time and money and effort into developing the test just so others can steal it and they don't make money on it?
No one of this world owns nature nor has any right to claim sole ownership of it no matter how much money they spend. Piss on those who claim they do or might. That includes you.

And the courts and I agree, but they developed the diagnostic test. Nobody would develop these and spend all the money if they can't make money on them, you know that right?

And how much money and time did Myriad put in to study the gene and develop and test a diagnostic kit? You think if there was no patent rights on products that anybody would put that much time and money and effort into developing the test just so others can steal it and they don't make money on it?
No one of this world owns nature nor has any right to claim sole ownership of it no matter how much money they spend. Piss on those who claim they do or might. That includes you.

And the courts and I agree, but they developed the diagnostic test. Nobody would develop these and spend all the money if they can't make money on them, you know that right?
They did not develop the diagnostic test. Testing for DNA is in the public domain but Myriad claimed that other labs could not test for that specific strand of DNA because that DNA belonged to Myriad. It is my contention that Myriad and its executives belong in Hell.

The DNA testing is quite simple for the properly equipped lab to do. An appropriate billing would be between $100 and $200 depending upon the region the lab is located in. Myriad claimed exclusive right to perform the test because the DNA "belonged to them" and wanted to charge thousands of dollars for the simple test. I would love to see one of these state militias who claim that they are prepared to defend the American people against tyranny get active in the elimination of companies like Myriad. We need to remove this evil from our nation and our planet.

Last edited:

They did not develop the diagnostic test. Testing for DNA is in the public domain but Myriad claimed that other labs could not test for that specific strand of DNA because that DNA belonged to Myriad. It is my contention that Myriad and its executives belong in Hell.

The DNA testing is quite simple for the properly equipped lab to do. An appropriate billing would be between $100 and $200 depending upon the region the lab is located in. Myriad claimed exclusive right to perform the test because the DNA "belonged to them" and wanted to charge thousands of dollars for the simple test. I would love to see one of these state militias who claim that they are prepared to defend the American people against tyranny get active in the elimination of companies like Myriad. We need to remove this evil from our nation and our planet.

Well likely since the courts just ruled that patents can't be gotten on human genes I think that Myriads patents will be challenged now.

AGain, if companies can't get exclusive rights to make money of the product they developed, you think anybody is going to throw away their money if they can't make a profit? Sadly its the price we pay to live much longer lives, as development of these products cost money.

No, I do not know that. I know that billions in taxpayer dollars goes towards research and then large and even small companies can use that research to improve their own bottom lines.

No, I do not know that. I know that billions in taxpayer dollars goes towards research and then large and even small companies can use that research to improve their own bottom lines.

Cause you know nothing about the process, nothing about scientific research or even business for that matter. Basic research is the cheap part of it, clinical trials is the major cost and the major risk. Drugs would cost even more if the companies had to bear the sole responsibility of basic research, and many wouldnt' even undertake it, as a business is to make money. For every successful small company that succeeds, there are likely 3 or 4 who's products fail and investors lose out in their investments.

They didn't directly "cause death."

Rather, they "patented" the location and functions of a set of genes that cause breast cancer. If you wanted to determine if you were highly predisposed to breast cancer, you had to pay Myriad's exorbitant prices.

The very concept of "patenting" part of the human genome is ludicrous. I'm honestly surprised this practice wasn't shut down sooner.
They have caused death. People who can not afford the procedure went without, and hundreds have died because the cancer was not caught in time. I say a company that does shit like that needs to be taken down. They are a great evil in our land and need to be removed. The people who made those decisions to let poorer women to die deserve the death penalty. What if those women were your sisters or mother? I just had a baby sister die of cancer. Her kids were not adults yet.

Because no one should be allowed to profit from medical research, right?
There is ALWAYS an interval with new technology when it is prohibitively expensive. Nothing can change that. It is tragic when someone dies because they got sick just before the technology was affordable, just as tragic as a death right before the technology was developed, just as tragic as a death fifty years before the technology was envisioned, but to mandate the allowed prices would simply insure no new research was done. Then the tragedies would continue indefinitely, because no money for research would mean no research advances. Research is invariably expensive because it requires an enormous amount of highly skilled labor.

Cause you know nothing about the process, nothing about scientific research or even business for that matter. Basic research is the cheap part of it, clinical trials is the major cost and the major risk. Drugs would cost even more if the companies had to bear the sole responsibility of basic research, and many wouldnt' even undertake it, as a business is to make money. For every successful small company that succeeds, there are likely 3 or 4 who's products fail and investors lose out in their investments.

This is not an issue of making a drug. It is a simple diagnostic test for the presence of a gene in women who have that DNA in their family tree. If the deadly gene is present, preventative surgery is in order to prevent breast cancer from killing the woman. Myriad had no great expense in the gene and had no right to claim the exclusive right to test for it. For that the executives of that company all need to be placed before a firing squad. Raul Castro in Cuba has said that his government will take care of it since the United States is too corrupt to deal with criminals like those Myriad creeps are.

You do not even know when shit is nasty when your standing knee deep in it.

Yes, brilliant response, you showed me:cuckoo: You've already been outed as being anti-science and knowing nothing about it, how you suddenly stop posting in your bullshit, ignorance spreading threads after I show how wrong you are

As evil as people want to make pharm/biotech companies out to be, without them and their huge investments into clinical trials and further product development that isn't a reality in basic science research, there would be no new, innovative drugs. THere would be no new diagnostic tests and new surgical tools and medical devices and all kinds of technology that help people have a much larger life expectancy, and be able to live relatively pain and discomfort free from ailments that would have cause great pain and suffering in the past.

Yes, brilliant response, you showed me:cuckoo: You've already been outed as being anti-science and knowing nothing about it, how you suddenly stop posting in your bullshit, ignorance spreading threads after I show how wrong you are

More like I am not willing to have a useless banter session with an idiot who apparently thinks he knows everything about everyone else and yet does not know jackshit.

I have never been anti science. I am however very much against certain corporations getting away with murder and mayhem at the expense of the taxpayer.

More like I am not willing to have a useless banter session with an idiot who apparently thinks he knows everything about everyone else and yet does not know jackshit.

I have never been anti science. I am however very much against certain corporations getting away with murder and mayhem at the expense of the taxpayer.

Sure, you're lies and posting of anti-science propaganda really shows you aren't anti-science:cuckoo:

Yes, having 10 years hands on research experience, bachelors and PhD education, countless books read on business of biotechnology, and even now knowledge of patent law shows I really have no idea what I'm talking about and am an idiot.

Idiots are the ones that think copy and pasting articles is a way to argue your point, or that using obviously bogus, biased websites spreading scientific ignorance shows vast knowledge in the field:lol: :cuckoo:

The reality is you want to continue to believe what you want that you get angry when someone shows you are incorrect and full of shit, plus other than copy and pasting you haven't really displayed much of an ability to argue your points

Last edited:

Sure, you're lies and posting of anti-science propaganda really shows you aren't anti-science:cuckoo:

Yes, having 10 years hands on research experience, bachelors and PhD education, countless books read on business of biotechnology, and even now knowledge of patent law shows I really have no idea what I'm talking about and am an idiot.

Idiots are the ones that think copy and pasting articles is a way to argue your point, or that using obviously bogus, biased websites spreading scientific ignorance shows vast knowledge in the field:lol: :cuckoo:

The reality is you want to continue to believe what you want that you get angry when someone shows you are incorrect and full of shit, plus other than copy and pasting you haven't really displayed much of an ability to argue your points
With all your boasting it really does not give you any credibility. You just show your ability to whine. I've had a many of educated idjits that desired my signature on their paychecks weekly.

I do not need to repeat what another has already written, copy and paste works for me as I'm not writing a journal and when the information is accurate I will use it. If you do not accept information straight from EPA, FDA, VAERS and CDC that is your problem. I don't consider our government sources and information bogus but evidently you do. I don't agree with all they do but that is a different story.

You are free to jab, stab and stuff whatever you want into your own body. You are free to make those choices and is anyone else has the right to deny the taking that same crap you push. What you do not have the right to do is rule over anyone else with your limited ten years of experience and call yourself an expert because obviously you are not.

With all your boasting it really does not give you any credibility. You just show your ability to whine. I've had a many of educated idjits that desired my signature on their paychecks weekly.

I do not need to repeat what another has already written, copy and paste works for me as I'm not writing a journal and when the information is accurate I will use it. If you do not accept information straight from EPA, FDA, VAERS and CDC that is your problem. I don't consider our government sources and information bogus but evidently you do. I don't agree with all they do but that is a different story.

You are free to jab, stab and stuff whatever you want into your own body. You are free to make those choices and is anyone else has the right to deny the taking that same crap you push. What you do not have the right to do is rule over anyone else with your limited ten years of experience and call yourself an expert because obviously you are not.

Bullshit, you take the info from them and try to spin it and falsely represent it. And I correct your bastardization of the truth. Like your continued claims that vaccines cause autism, when its been shown, but both court proceedings and fraud on the researcher that was the fuel behind the vaccine garbage, and many other studies have shown that it does not. But you continued to argue that it did.

I have every right to call out your infactual bullshit. sorry, my education and experience do make me someone of an expert, far more qualified to comment and point out inaccuracies than someone who just gets their info off the internet. YOu copy and pasting and bastardizing the science to fit your anti science agenda and keep spreading scientific ignorance, I will always fight to correct. Entire industries get damaged by ignorance spreading through the masses. Do whatever you want, die from disease and trauma if you hate science so much,. that's your right. but scientists are not going to sit back while you attempt to bastardize it.

Got to love the trollish assholes that instead of actually addressing issue at hand, make shit up about the person they are arguing to deflect from their lack of arguments. Whine? YOu bastardize my field of work, and I correct your bullshit, so we don't get any more idiots of science out there that we already have plenty of. Yes, that's really whining. Nice try at trying to deflect the fact you don't know shit

Last edited:
As evil as people want to make pharm/biotech companies out to be, without them and their huge investments into clinical trials and further product development that isn't a reality in basic science research, there would be no new, innovative drugs. THere would be no new diagnostic tests and new surgical tools and medical devices and all kinds of technology that help people have a much larger life expectancy, and be able to live relatively pain and discomfort free from ailments that would have cause great pain and suffering in the past.

Nobody that I know of here is making pharm/biotech companies out to be anything they have not already proved that they are. I am certain that most of them have done a good job in research of new drugs and chemicals that can assist humanity in dealing with a vast myriad of problems. In this one case, they had no cause to claim a patent on a cancerous gene in a human body. They did not make the gene and they in fact did not discover it. They just patented it because nobody else had and they wanted to make money off of it at the expense of people dying from or at risk of dying from cancer.

Big pharma seems mostly interested in inventing new diseases/afflictions to sell drugs for.
I think their advertising budgets are at least as large as their research budgets.

Nobody that I know of here is making pharm/biotech companies out to be anything they have not already proved that they are. I am certain that most of them have done a good job in research of new drugs and chemicals that can assist humanity in dealing with a vast myriad of problems. In this one case, they had no cause to claim a patent on a cancerous gene in a human body. They did not make the gene and they in fact did not discover it. They just patented it because nobody else had and they wanted to make money off of it at the expense of people dying from or at risk of dying from cancer.

You say that they had no right to get a patent, but apparently the USPTO thought differently. They were granted the patent, so your issue may have been with the USPTO and their rules. Biotechnology is relatively new and they are working out how to address this in the older patent laws. Courts help set policy, and the recent decision will set new policies regarding patenting of genes and probably have new challenges to gene patents.

Myriad did nothing illegal, nothing wrong, and good business to secure intellectual property within the boundaries of the law.

Big pharma seems mostly interested in inventing new diseases/afflictions to sell drugs for.
I think their advertising budgets are at least as large as their research budgets.

except they are real. ANd they are good business people that develop drugs for one indication, like cardiovascular disease, and the drugs fails at that, and they look for ways to be able to market that drug for something else, like erectile dysfunction. They didn't go into it attempting to cure ED. Same with rogaine, it was developed for a rare genetic disease in which there was no treatment, but found the nasty side effects of hair growth, so they studied its use in hair restoration.

And as much as I though restless leg syndrome was completely absurd, I've heard many people, especially pregnant woman, that say its real, and it can occur during women's pregnancy, and I'm sure in other people as well.

You invest millions and millions and the drug doesn't work for what you initially studied it for, its good business to try and recoup those loses and still make a profit by looking if it works in other diseases and conditions

Yeah side effects, they are happy to sell you drugs for the side effects of your restless leg syndrome drugs.

Forum List

Back