My writing

Mr.Conley

Jan 20, 2006
New Orleans, LA/Cambridge, MA
Alright people, I've been posting with a surprising regularity for about 6 months now, and I need to ask a question.

My primary reason for posting on USMB is why writing skills. I unfortunately suffer from dyslexia. However, intense work and therapy on both my part and my parent's has enabled me to mostly circumvent the problem. My reading comprehension, though slow, is generally on target. However, my writing skills rely heavily on spell check and peer review. Tired of relying slavishly on other's assistence for the rest of my life, I asked my therapist how I could improve my writing skills. He suggested that regular, short written essays might help improve my ability. He suggested I search the internet for chatboards where I could forge my craft. Eventually this lead me here. In keeping with my plan, I try to write several articles each day. I immediantly type my responce, and don't spell check or review anything I've written for at least three days. I just write and post. I take the material to my therapist and review. He says that my abilities are improving, and this brings me to my question. What do you, as regular people, and as the most regular audience of my particular writing think? Have you noticed an improvement? How much? What are the problems? How does it read? Are there too many tangents? Is my writing too wordy? Is there a recurring grammatical problem? Is it too complex? Could my writing flow better?

Any comments are appreciated.

Mr.Conley said:
Alright people, I've been posting with a surprising regularity for about 6 months now, and I need to ask a question.

My primary reason for posting on USMB is why writing skills. I unfortunately suffer from dyslexia. However, intense work and therapy on both my part and my parent's has enabled me to mostly circumvent the problem. My reading comprehension, though slow, is generally on target. However, my writing skills rely heavily on spell check and peer review. Tired of relying slavishly on other's assistence for the rest of my life, I asked my therapist how I could improve my writing skills. He suggested that regular, short written essays might help improve my ability. He suggested I search the internet for chatboards where I could forge my craft. Eventually this lead me here. In keeping with my plan, I try to write several articles each day. I immediantly type my responce, and don't spell check or review anything I've written for at least three days. I just write and post. I take the material to my therapist and review. He says that my abilities are improving, and this brings me to my question. What do you, as regular people, and as the most regular audience of my particular writing think? Have you noticed an improvement? How much? What are the problems? How does it read? Are there too many tangents? Is my writing too wordy? Is there a recurring grammatical problem? Is it too complex? Could my writing flow better?

well i can't spell or type....so to me, you do quite well....couple of typos in your post however....oh and you are full of liberal shit:poke:

Mr.Conley said:
Thanks for the input.

just poking ya dude....as far as i can tell you write as well as anyone here....would have never guessed that you are working to correct dyslexia .... you seem to have no more no less typos or trangressions or tangenets than anyone else here....keep up the good work

manu1959 said:
just poking ya dude....as far as i can tell you write as well as anyone here....would have never guessed that you are working to correct dyslexia .... you seem to have no more no less typos or trangressions or tangenets than anyone else here....keep up the good work
Thanks, I've been working on it for about 16 years, so it's starting to pay off.

I would agree with Manu, you probably make less errors than I. I would never have guessed you had any reading/writing problems.

Incidently, I was given the same advice when I lost sight in one of my eyes. I told my doctor I was having trouble reading/proof reading, in particular, misreading words and not reading to the end of sentances (I've always been a terrible, lazy speller, so there's no real excuse for that) and he made similar suggestions. Anyway, these boards have helped me a great deal also.

I concur with Manu and Said. Kudos for your parents, recognizing a problem and supporting you in dealing with it. It's so easy to find a 'cause' of a problem, then use that as an excuse. To actually say, 'this is hard for you, but others find things difficult that come naturally to you. This is one way we can teach our children to respect their gifts, while improving their weak areas.' I'm sure this is only one area that demonstrates your parents encouragement and support that have led to your being as successful as you are today. Don't forget to give them some thanks for their part!

Like the others said, any mistakes made on the boards, of which there are few from you, would be chalked up to typos. We all make them. None of us write papers with the tone or vocab or grammar that we do here. ;)

Mr.Conley said:

Of the numerous posters here I would have thought suffered from dyslexia, you are not one of them.:)

Of the people that I know with dyslexia you have the least obvious case I have ever been party to seeing...

That being said, it doesn't make your liberal dogma any easier to swallow..

:cof:

j/k.

Mr.Conley said:

Actually, your writing style is quite a bit better than many others who go on-line. Now if we could only get your politics straightened out, you'd be in primo shape.
:beer:
BTW, that suggestion from your therapist is a good one... scratch that, an excellent one.

Mr. Conley, your writing style and abilities are well above average. I would never have guessed that you had dyslexic tendencies if you hadn't have said anything. You would have been a welcome addition to any online community, so I'm certainly glad you came here. :thup:

Does anyone know if it is common for a person have adult-onset typing dyslexia? I used to type correctly, but in the past few years, I type most words in a jumble. I still read and write correctly.

Abbey Normal said:
Does anyone know if it is common for a person have adult-onset typing dyslexia? I used to type correctly, but in the past few years, I type most words in a jumble. I still read and write correctly.

Itytr mjirj berb posuihui:scratch:

Abbey Normal said:
Alcohol will do that.:poke:

J/K Abbey, truth is I can't find my keys either! I know they were on the table.
Errr wait, "keys", nevermind. :D

Abbey Normal said:

I do that all the time, although I didn't until I stopped working as a secretary. :happy2:

Forum List

Back