My Wife's Grandparents Were Hiroshima Survivors

I heard this morning that the Japanese don't even teach what happened in WW2 in school so most of their citizens don't know what atrocities they committed.

Very true. I lived in Tokyo as a toddler and our family kept in touch with some of the neighbors over the years. I get together with a few of the old neighbors' kids and grandkids when they visit Disney. We've had quite a few spirited conversations around the fire pit about their perception of "American Imperialism" and how the US forces Japan to stay weak because they don't want to make China and Korea mad.

Everyone under 50 says they don't believe that Japan would never surrender in WWII, they think Japan was just defending themselves against the US conquering the Pacific, and they deny the alliance with Nazi Germany. I asked them if they've talked to their parents and grandparents about this and the answer is universal: "they don't talk about the war."

The younger ones have a sort of entitled attitude about honor and dignity claiming to be descendants of the Samurai warriors. They don't understand that the discipline was brought through training and not birthright. They don't have any history of the atrocities practiced by the Samurai (the reason for disbanding them in the first place). They deny that Japan ever had slaves in modern times, especially every Korean they could find during WWII.

Are you suggesting that the US gov should have dropped more a-bombs on Japan to exterminate the entire population? If so, you are a complete idiot...and you are also an idiot to think the bombs were ok....dunce....they were entirely unnecessary, as Japan was already defeated and defenseless...and ready to surrender before the war criminal Truman dropped those two horrific bombs.

What the American gov did in WWII is exactly the same thing as what the Germans and Japanese did with WWII. Atrocities abound...in total war...yet we Americans like to think we are different...we are, but our leaders are not.

if the Japs didn't surrender yes. we were prepared to nuke em in the dark till they glowed.

If only you knew how disgusting you are.

and how historically up fucked you are

Well, I for one think it was ok to nuke Japan. We just stopped too soon.

Are you suggesting that the US gov should have dropped more a-bombs on Japan to exterminate the entire population? If so, you are a complete idiot...and you are also an idiot to think the bombs were ok....dunce....they were entirely unnecessary, as Japan was already defeated and defenseless...and ready to surrender before the war criminal Truman dropped those two horrific bombs.

What the American gov did in WWII is exactly the same thing as what the Germans and Japanese did with WWII. Atrocities abound...in total war...yet we Americans like to think we are different...we are, but our leaders are not.
I never said exterminate the entire population, just most of it. :D

To teach the world not to fuck with us. Like after 9/11, we should have nuked Mecca at least! Kabul, Riyadh, the West Bank and gaza... Iraq!!!

Well, I for one think it was ok to nuke Japan. We just stopped too soon.

if the Japs [sic] didn't surrender yes. we were prepared to nuke em in the dark till they glowed.

No "we" weren't. After the second atomic bomb was dropped we had 0 atomic bombs ready to go. A few weeks later maybe, but there was no mass production of more atomic bombs that would support your self-indulgent histrionics.

I heard this morning that the Japanese don't even teach what happened in WW2 in school so most of their citizens don't know what atrocities they committed.

Very true. I lived in Tokyo as a toddler and our family kept in touch with some of the neighbors over the years. I get together with a few of the old neighbors' kids and grandkids when they visit Disney. We've had quite a few spirited conversations around the fire pit about their perception of "American Imperialism" and how the US forces Japan to stay weak because they don't want to make China and Korea mad.

Everyone under 50 says they don't believe that Japan would never surrender in WWII, they think Japan was just defending themselves against the US conquering the Pacific, and they deny the alliance with Nazi Germany. I asked them if they've talked to their parents and grandparents about this and the answer is universal: "they don't talk about the war."

The younger ones have a sort of entitled attitude about honor and dignity claiming to be descendants of the Samurai warriors. They don't understand that the discipline was brought through training and not birthright. They don't have any history of the atrocities practiced by the Samurai (the reason for disbanding them in the first place). They deny that Japan ever had slaves in modern times, especially every Korean they could find during WWII.

That post was one big, fat pile of fabrication and falsehood.

It's interesting to note that there really was little or no media coverage of the aftermath of Hiroshima and Nagasaki radiation sickness. There is an interesting book by Pulitzer Prize winner George Weller called "First into Nagasaki". The book was compiled after Weller's death by his son who found the carbon copies of his accounts in Nagasaki shortly after the Japanese Surrender. Weller was working for the A.P. at the time and all his stories had to go through MacArthur's staff for approval before being sent to the A.P. Weller didn't even know it at the time but Mac's people spiked every single story and nothing got out. MacArthur had a little kingdom going in Japan and he was the de-facto Japanese ruler.

the Special Exhibit

Really now?

The reason there was little US media coverage was because Truman and our military KNEW the American people would be appalled by the massacre their government committed. A massacre of civilians, most of whom were women and children. As such, Truman and the military silenced any media coverage of conditions at Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Truman was warned not to drop those terrible bombs on a defenseless nation by many in his administration and military, including Eisenhower and MacArthur. But, he wanted to frighten the thug, Stalin (like killing innocents on a vast scale would ever frighten him...Truman was a racist fool, but just as dumb as FDR).

It is a terrible fallacy that the bombs were necessary to avoid more bloodshed and end the war. The Japanese had tried to surrender several times, but thanks to FDR's crazy unconditional surrender, the death and destruction continued unabated.

It's true. FDR was a stroke victim and a virtual corpse during the latter days of WW2 so who was running the government? Crazies like Morganthau were around but the generals were in charge and the generals were pissed and they didn't really care for the Marine Corps. When Truman woke up on morning and found out that he was president he didn't have a clue. The Military was in charge and by God they were going to drop the Big One no matter what.

Not accurate. Many generals including Ike and MacArthur told Truman not to drop the bombs. Others in his administration voiced negative opinions...knowing full well Japan was defenseless. Truman was solely responsible for the war crime.

Truman dropped them because he wanted to control Stalin and show the world our power. But also, he was a terrible racist who hated the Japanese...thinking them less than human. Most ironic considering he claimed to be a devout Christian.

since you were born stupid Ike had no combat experience. MacArthur wanted the guts and glory of an invasion that would cost millions of lives. the so called "others" had no combat experience either. Truman seeked out every opinion he could get. the sinking of the Indy and the Kamikaze attacks off Okinawa sealed Japan's fate. they were far from finished.

you pacifist idiots are all the same. so keep your head stuck up your ass where it belongs

don't know how they could avoid it. there's war memorials all over the empire. including of course Hiroshima and Nagasaki

2h4yt52.jpg

flx6wi.jpg

29eryae.jpg

No, but I understand that you don't like certain people and you have a very closed mind.

No, but I understand that you don't like certain people and you have a very closed mind.

NO, that post really was one big, fat pile of fabrication and falsehood.

NO, that post really was one big, fat pile of fabrication and falsehood.

I love how you think you are an authority on my life's experiences.

It's common to encounter people who say the same thing about Japan's WWII education.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100225163311AAzJXkC

The younger ones have a sort of entitled attitude about honor and dignity claiming to be descendants of the Samurai warriors.

No they don't. That is silly beyond words. Most young people today don't know anything about Samurai they didn't see on a TV drama. I have spoken with thousands and thousands of young people from and in Japan; I do almost every day. Most young people today don't know and aren't particularly interested in things like that. You just completely made that shit up.

Last edited:
They don't understand that the discipline was brought through training and not birthright.

You've got that completely wrong. Being a member of the Samurai class was a matter of birthright during most of Japanese history.

A farmer could train his ass off 24/7, but that wouldn't make him a Samurai.

They don't have any history of the atrocities practiced by the Samurai (the reason for disbanding them in the first place).

The samurai class was not abolished because of "atrocities." Not even close. The samurai class was abolished in order to protect the new civil government that was established during the Meiji Restoration.

The younger ones have a sort of entitled attitude about honor and dignity claiming to be descendants of the Samurai warriors.

No they don't. That is silly beyond words. Most young people today don't know anything about Samurai they didn't see on a TV drama. I have spoken with thousands and thousands of young people from and in Japan; I do almost every day. Most young people today don't know and aren't particularly interested in things like that. You just completely made that shit up.

I notice that any time I post something that differs from your own stated observations you are quick to accuse me of lying.

Maybe you don't know everything, ever given that a thought? Have you ever met someone who claims to be descended from Samurai warriors?

They don't understand that the discipline was brought through training and not birthright.

You've got that completely wrong. Being a member of the Samurai class was a matter of birthright during most of Japanese history.

A farmer could train his ass off 24/7, but that wouldn't make him a Samurai.

But the discipline didn't come from being born into the correct bloodline, that had to be proven after years of training, dipshit.

You are as dense as a lump of coal.

Forum List

Back