My way or the highway?

There is also some forgetful memory on that issue that the Democrats in the House aren't all in one line like the GOP on votes.

:lol:

you're still trotting out this old tired line? and you claim to be non-partisan...

:lol:

MODDORK is a young MORON that doesn't know LIFE

He's an idiot.
To think that Olympia Snowe and Jeff Sessions think exactly alike is revealing of willful stupidity and ignorance. The fact is that the Democrats have governed so badly, no compromise, no consultation that they locked out the GOP and forced them into a unity position.

I don't remember the specifics but the Republicans did stop that massive spending bill. It was all 12 rolled into one... No debate ect ect.....

ok...so this current budget debate, is a direct result of the filibuster?

notwithstanding the current compromise issues...

I have googled my butt off, I cannot find that, the dems did pass a house bill and DEEMED a 1 trillion budget bill passed, but I can find no record of the senate voting on that AND they still had a super majority, they could have used reconciliation ( conrads comment above) to pass it meaning all they needed was 50, which they had, easily.

here ya go-

House Democrats ‘Deem’ Faux $1.1 Trillion Budget ‘as Passed’
by Connie Hair
07/02/2010

Last night, as part of a procedural vote on the emergency war supplemental bill, House Democrats attached a document that “deemed as passed” a non-existent $1.12 trillion budget. The execution of the “deeming” document allows Democrats to start spending money for Fiscal Year 2011 without the pesky constraints of a budget.

The procedural vote passed 215-210 with no Republicans voting in favor and 38 Democrats crossing the aisle to vote against deeming the faux budget resolution passed.

Never before—since the creation of the Congressional budget process—has the House failed to pass a budget, failed to propose a budget then deemed the non-existent budget as passed as a means to avoid a direct, recorded vote on a budget, but still allow Congress to spend taxpayer money.

House Budget Committee Ranking Member Paul Ryan (R-Wisc.) warned this was the green light for Democrats to continue their out-of-control spending virtually unchecked.

“Facing a record deficit and a tidal wave of debt, House Democrats decided it was politically inconvenient to put forward a budget and account for their fiscal recklessness. With no priorities and no restraints, the spending, taxing, and borrowing will continue unchecked for the coming fiscal year,” Ryan said. “The so-called ‘budget enforcement resolution’ enforces no budget, but instead provides a green light for the Appropriators to continue spending, exacerbating our looming fiscal crisis.”

more at-
House Democrats ‘Deem’ Faux $1.1 Trillion Budget ‘as Passed’ - HUMAN EVENTS

and here,
If You Can't Budget, You Can't Govern by Debra J. Saunders on Creators.com - A Syndicate Of Talent

and here-
Steny Hoyer: No budget this year
By SIMMI AUJLA | 6/22/10 1:02 PM EDT

Majority Leader Steny Hoyer made official Tuesday morning what most insiders have known for months: Congress won’t do a budget this year.

Instead, Democrats are pushing an alternative route that falls well short of the more rigorous annual budget resolution — a short-term resolution that will call for discretionary spending lower than in President Barack Obama’s fiscal 2011 budget. But he said Congress wouldn’t take longer-term budget action before hearing from Obama’s fiscal commission in December. Republicans have lambasted Democrats for not passing a budget resolution, saying that’s the first time it’s happened since 1976.

In pushing for budget cuts in his speech before an event sponsored by the progressive think tank Third Way, Hoyer urged scrutiny of military and entitlement spending on Tuesday, while also defending Congress’ spending as necessary to revive the economy.

more -

Steny Hoyer: No budget this year - Simmi Aujla - POLITICO.com

there was no budget submitted to the senate to consider.
More explanation here.
It appears that it was a conscious decision by the Democrats not to put a budget forward last year.

House Democrats will not pass a budget blueprint in 2010, Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) will confirm in a speech on Tuesday.

In the scheduled address to the progressive think tank The Third Way, Hoyer will acknowledge that the lower chamber will do things differently this election year.
“It isn’t possible to debate and pass a realistic, long-term budget until we’ve considered the bipartisan commission’s deficit-reduction plan, which is expected in December,”

The House has never failed to pass an annual budget resolution since the current budget rules were put into place in 1974. Hoyer this spring noted that the GOP-led Congress didn’t pass a final resolution in 1998, 2004 and 2006.

The House will put forth a “budget enforcement resolution” rather than a budget blueprint that looks beyond next year and calculates five or 10 years’ worth of deficit figures.

The House’s “enforcement” — or deeming — resolution will endorse the goals of the president’s fiscal commission and reiterate the commitment to vote on its recommendations after the midterm elections. And it will also set limits on discretionary spending “that require further cuts below the president’s budget,” according to the speech.

Dems won

So, my understanding of this is that the President had set up a bi-partisan committee to consider a long-term plan, this was due at the end of the year, and the Dems decided to hold off presenting a budget until after the results of the committee were in.

The intricacies of American politics are difficult for me but I think that is their explanation.

the tea loons are proof that you should never give school yard bullies what they ask for because they keep asking for more and nothing is ever enough.

they asked for 32 billion. the president gave them 33 billion.

screw 'em. let 'em have their temper tantrum. call their bluff.

referring to the entitlement pricks?

As of this morning, it is being reported that politicans worked through the night and that a deal will be reached by the midnight Friday deadline. It is said that Republicans are around $40 billion in cuts and Democrats are hovering around $33 billion. What is amazing is that even with public outrage at current spending levels and a large push for across the board spending cuts, the Democrats still refuse to cut even an additional $7billion. There needs to be hundreds of billions of dollars cut in the annual budget and trillions over the next few. A balanced budget needs to be attained and right now the Democrats can't even agree to get rid of a little fat. Unless they come to their senses, which will doubtfully happen anytime soon, this will become a long, painful, and bureaucratic process which will just further drag America and the economy down. We need strong leadership who is willing to make the sacrifices necessary to improve the situation.

Thx Mchugh..

so, IF your reports are correct , Boehner gave in, hes just another inside the beltway old bull rep.

And where has the RNC been on this? No where, not a dime for them, they can eat s&it and die for another election cycle afaik.

So, my understanding of this is that the President had set up a bi-partisan committee to consider a long-term plan, this was due at the end of the year, and the Dems decided to hold off presenting a budget until after the results of the committee were in.

The intricacies of American politics are difficult for me but I think that is their explanation.

no, that is not an 'explanation', it is monday morning mitigation, if your intent is to use that as an excuse. Read the links I posted and you can Google the budget process of 1974.

And, I don't know why you posted that The Hill link - as -Dems Won- they avoided their duty and here we are, are now bitching that they cannot keep the money they larded in which was PART and PARCEL of their plan....that, is why they did not submit a budget.

Last edited:
the tea loons are proof that you should never give school yard bullies what they ask for because they keep asking for more and nothing is ever enough.

they asked for 32 billion. the president gave them 33 billion.

screw 'em. let 'em have their temper tantrum. call their bluff.

don't you ever have anything other than talking points? ever?

Never. Jillian's a fruitcake who hasn't had an original thought her entire, miserable life.

In an article which was expanded on by USA Today just recently it quotes Reid as saying that he alone believes that a deal is now further from being completed than yesterday. Reid placed full blame on Republicans for wanting to include anti-abortion and curbs on the EPA as part of the bill. Many others involved believe a deal is closer to being done, but at this point it is clear not to believe anything they say until it is in writing. Obama is meeting again at the White House with congressional leaders today at 1:00PM to further discuss the issue. It would be nice to see some actual leadership from Obama in trying to get this accomplished. It is one thing to invite those involved in the decision making process to talk things over. It is quite another to take a leading role in getting this accomplished, making the effort to satisfy all parties, and pass a responsible budget with the necessary cuts.

So obama scolds Republicans for not coming to a budget agreement and then heads off for a fund raiser.
barack obama said:
At a time when you are struggling to pay your bills and meet your responsibilities, the least we can do to meet our responsibilities is produce a budget. That is not too much to ask for. That is what the American people expect of us, that's what they deserve. You want everybody to act like adults, quit playing games and realize it is not my way or the highway," President Obama said in Pennsylvania before he is set to hold a fundraiser tonight.
Video from CNN via real clear politics

Too bad, barack. In the words of the prophet Mick Jagger, You don't always get what you want.

You should tell that to the Tea Baggers. They are the one's holding Boehner hostage.

no, that is not an 'explanation', it is monday morning mitigation, if your intent is to use that as an excuse. Read the links I posted and you can Google the budget process of 1974.

And, I don't know why you posted that The Hill link - as -Dems Won- they avoided their duty and here we are, are now bitching that they cannot keep the money they larded in which was PART and PARCEL of their plan....that, is why they did not submit a budget.

I had no intent beyond trying to find an explanation other than the frothy-mouthed high-volume rants by the right wingers.
It is really difficult to cut through the partisan opinion and disinformation that dominates the American political debate and I was merely trying to find something from the other side.
I have no particular agenda beyond trying to find some balance.
I admit my lack of background knowledge.

So obama scolds Republicans for not coming to a budget agreement and then heads off for a fund raiser.
barack obama said:
At a time when you are struggling to pay your bills and meet your responsibilities, the least we can do to meet our responsibilities is produce a budget. That is not too much to ask for. That is what the American people expect of us, that's what they deserve. You want everybody to act like adults, quit playing games and realize it is not my way or the highway," President Obama said in Pennsylvania before he is set to hold a fundraiser tonight.
Video from CNN via real clear politics

Too bad, barack. In the words of the prophet Mick Jagger, You don't always get what you want.

You should tell that to the Tea Baggers. They are the one's holding Boehner hostage.

I wasn't aware that "The Tea Baggers" (whover that is) had any power over a sitting Speaker of the House, who has just been elected.
I'd ask for proof but that's a waste of pixels on this site.

Reid and the Democrats are rejecting the one week extension plan presented by the Republicans today. This plan would provide funding for the military for the rest of the fiscal year, and give congress another week to determine spending for the rest of the government. It is upsetting but not surprising that the Democrats do not like this idea because they are simply not getting their way. They do not want to address the fiscal issues that are facing this country and they will let us all suffer for it. They need to step up and start assuming some responsibility. At the bare minimum put an effort in to solving the problems instead of letting them fall to those that come after them.

Idiots, the whole lot of them.

61 Billion is nothing.

Obama shows his lack of caring and lack of leadership.

The Republicans are not really asking much. Not near what they were elected to do.

Reid and the Democrats are rejecting the one week extension plan presented by the Republicans today. This plan would provide funding for the military for the rest of the fiscal year, and give congress another week to determine spending for the rest of the government. It is upsetting but not surprising that the Democrats do not like this idea because they are simply not getting their way. They do not want to address the fiscal issues that are facing this country and they will let us all suffer for it. They need to step up and start assuming some responsibility. At the bare minimum put an effort in to solving the problems instead of letting them fall to those that come after them.

The Dems want the gov't the shut down. They think this would be the killer stroke against the GOP, like it was in 96. This is why they aren't being accomodative.

Col Allen West (Representative) Just laid Obama out.

And i quote " In 22 years in the army I saw more leadership from Buck Sergeants than what I saw just now. Anyone can come out and tell the issues, leadership is about offering suggestions." At least that is as close as I can remember..

A Buck Sergeant... :lol:

I was a buck sergeant at 21 years of age..... :lol:

Forum List

Back