My visit to Cleveland....

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
I went to Cleveland for a week of Six Sigma training.

And frankly, I was kind of depressed by what I saw there. This is rust belt at it's worst. Old building, lots of them abandoned, streets in poor repair, nothing really new has been built in a while, every other home empty.

I just love when people tell me how good of a thing Free Trade is...

I guess I'm blessed to be living in Chicago, which despite being in the Mid-West, is still pretty vibrant.

And frankly, I was kind of depressed by what I saw there. This is rust belt at it's worst. Old building, lots of them abandoned, streets in poor repair, nothing really new has been built in a while, every other home empty.

I guess I'm blessed to be living in Chicago, which despite being in the Mid-West, is still pretty vibrant.

Six sigma? That must have been a long boring week! :) I'm in the Quality dept where i work, i've had "some" of the training.

I went with my daughter to Cleveland a few yrs ago for the American idol auditions...i hate that town! Heck, practically the whole town shut down by 8pm every night! I wasn't impressed...and it sounds like by what you say alot of other people weren't impressed either.

This likely has more to do with Cleveland being Cleveland than free trade.

What free trade?

My niece tried explaining that Six Sigma concept to me. Sounds like it was created by folks with too much time on their hands in order to shave brief moments from work loads.
Like a bad Dilbert cartoon.

Why didn't you get Seven Sigma training?

Our company is still working its way up to Six Sigma in training green belts and black belts. Of course, it doesn't help tha half our green belts bolt for other companies as soon as they can add that to their resume.

It's a lot of work taking this training...too many companies won't pay what they should for someone with that training. Good luck!!

This likely has more to do with Cleveland being Cleveland than free trade.

Well, I don't think so... You can see that up until the 1960's, it was a growing city. And then it stopped growing. I did some research on Wikipedia and found out that it hit a high point of nearly a million people in the 1950 census, but it's a little south of 400,000 today.

Why didn't you get Seven Sigma training?

Our company is still working its way up to Six Sigma in training green belts and black belts. Of course, it doesn't help tha half our green belts bolt for other companies as soon as they can add that to their resume.

It's a lot of work taking this training...too many companies won't pay what they should for someone with that training. Good luck!!

Well, I'm hoping to finish my project and then take the test in June...

I've driven through Cleveland a few times. Not the kind of place I'd like to spend any time in.

If you think it's bad now, you should have seen it back in the '70s.

that's when the Cuyahoga River was on fire.

I saw a doc recently about how a team of people brought that river back from the dead. It was an amazing feat. They have to stay on top of it all the time because industry will not stop dumping shit in it.

Last edited:
I got to cross this bridge over the Cayhooga every day...

cleveland,%20hope%20memorial%20bridge,%20lorain%20&%20carnegie02.jpg

Awesome masonry work... they really don't make stuff like this anymore.

What I liked was a lot of the old school architecture... It's just too bad they didn't do more to maintain it.

I got to cross this bridge over the Cayhooga every day...

cleveland,%20hope%20memorial%20bridge,%20lorain%20&%20carnegie02.jpg

Awesome masonry work... they really don't make stuff like this anymore.

What I liked was a lot of the old school architecture... It's just too bad they didn't do more to maintain it.

I can't see that pic but I know what you're talking about. Cleveland is pretty rough in parts but it's a typical big city.

The better areas in NE Ohio that are good are along Lake Erie, they're really beautiful little towns around there. I grew up in NW Ohio right on Lake Erie and it couldn't have been a better place to be. Lake Erie was pretty polluted in the 70s but that also became a cleanup project and people are now gravitating back to the beach in droves.

I love being near the water. I still live in the area so I get out there as much as possible.

Forum List

Back