My thoughts on The Motion Picture. I think it's great.

Jun 26, 2005
Ontario, Canada eh?
The problem is that people give rankings with out giving reasons for giving the movie a 5 or so. For me it's a great movie. The trailer was right: "It will startle your senses. Challenge your intellect. And change your perception of the future....by taking you there". The special effects are beautiful, people say the descending scene to the heart of V'ger is boring, but people don't realize is how much work and money went into the effects. Especially the V'ger scenes. Those kind of effects were big news in 1979, plus they had to respond to Star Wars. They couldn't come out with whimper effects after Star Wars. The music is great, Jerry really should have won that oscar for best music. If you're bored with the movie, watch it for the music. It's fantastic music. It's the best with a killer sound system. Sure, the human interaction could have been done a bit better but no movie is perfect. This was Star Trek's "2001" version. Some Trek fans say that it's more of a sci-fi plot than a human plot. I would disagree that there was more of a sci-fi plot than a human one. V'ger was quite symbolic. Spock and Decker really sum it up near the end in explaining just what it is that V'ger is after: "Is this all that I am? Is there nothing more?" 2001 is also a great movie. Unforunately, the audiences didn't really catch on. Some people say that there should have been a battle scene at the end when the Klingons were materialized, but I disagree. It would have the movie strange. All this meaning of life stuff then at the end, a battle. Which brings me to another point, people don't want thinking movies in theaters, an example is Blade Runner (great movie too). It did terribly in the box office, because people wanted action. It was at home, that the movie did better. They said "We went 'BANG BANG'. Star Trek: The Motion Picture is the ideal movie for a Saturday night at home with a big screen tv and sound system. You sit back and enjoy the ride. Sure, it's alittle slow at times, but how much action do you need in a movie? In the Motion Picture, it's about the journey, not the destination.

Yeah, and I do find it fascinating. It's a good movie. However, it and 2001 aren't really my kind of flicks. I liked both of them for their tension, like when the Enterprise was waiting for the anomaly to open and when Dave re-entered the ship to deactivate Hal 9000. However, some parts of both movies seemed to drag a bit, and I'm more of an action guy, anyway.

As far as thinking movies, I don't mind them so long as I have proper warning. I loved Blade Runner, especially the director's cut where it implied that Harrison Ford was a cyborg. However, if I go into a thinking movie without warning, I'll get lost...fast.

Big Blue Machin said:
Hasn't anyone seen it?
I saw it, and I hated it.

It's just as awful as the original series.

The only good movie with the old crew was The Undiscovered Country.

Same director as Khan, only other one he did. It's got all the good stuff from Khan, none of the old-Crew chesseyness, and alot of good new stuff.

To sum up all the movies:

The Motion Picture = sucks
Wrath of Khan = 2/3 cheese
Search for Spock = haven't seen it in so long I barely remember, but I think it was pretty gay
Voyage Home = I just don't want to see a sci-fi movie about whale hunting in 1980's San Fransisco, I'm sorry
Final Frontier = Alright, you're getting there, only 1/3 cheese
Undiscovered Country = Finally! No cheese, and a good story to boot.

Considering the whole orignal series was cheesey as all hell, and 2/3 of the movies are pure suck, I'm going to have to give a "4-thumbs down" to Star Trek.

Forum List

Back