My theory on why desserts are so bad

dfens

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2016
Let me say in general that sweets can get dangerous quickly. Sugar absolutely is addictive and causes changes within the body that will lead to obesity if you consume enough of it.

But in particular, regularly having desserts is, in my opinion, dangerous and seductively so. Now, many people might think that if you limit sweets to after a meal, you are likely to be full already, and therefore not have room to eat much dessert. My theory is that the allure of sugar overcomes this, and in fact you make room for dessert, therefore eating much more than you should, when you would have been full already. Also, if you end the meal with sugar, you will get used to that sugar taste and high after every meal, and crave dessert.

The solution? Limit sweets of course, but eat them before and during the meal. That way the sugar is part of the meal itself, and you don't always end with that sugar high, which will turn into a craving.

Desserts with High Fructose corn syrup are also the worst as the body has a difficult time breaking it down. It is almost stored instantly as fat. Which is going to be almost anything in a package.Homemade desserts may be the best for you in many cases I think.

sandys-donuts-selections.jpg

Let me say in general that sweets can get dangerous quickly. Sugar absolutely is addictive and causes changes within the body that will lead to obesity if you consume enough of it.

But in particular, regularly having desserts is, in my opinion, dangerous and seductively so. Now, many people might think that if you limit sweets to after a meal, you are likely to be full already, and therefore not have room to eat much dessert. My theory is that the allure of sugar overcomes this, and in fact you make room for dessert, therefore eating much more than you should, when you would have been full already. Also, if you end the meal with sugar, you will get used to that sugar taste and high after every meal, and crave dessert.

The solution? Limit sweets of course, but eat them before and during the meal. That way the sugar is part of the meal itself, and you don't always end with that sugar high, which will turn into a craving.
Try an apple...

Parents used to provide desserts after dinner (it was the only meal desserts followed) as an inducement to eat the rest of the dinner first. This way, parents could get children to eat vegetables. It was never a problem because the parents would limit the portion sizes.

Nowadays, families rarely eat at a table together, the parents don't' bother with enforcing eating habits, never mind portion control, and mostly cannot be bothered to watch what their kids eat.

Sugars, particularly high fructose corn syrup, causes a significant inflammatory response in the body, overloads the insulin response of the body and when taken in large, frequent (less than three hours between meals) doses, cause significant health issues; mainly diabetes.

I have a sweet tooth, but I'm also highly active and exercise regularly, so I don't have many health issues.

I have a sweet tooth, but I'm also highly active and exercise regularly, so I don't have many health issues.

Yeah, I think if you eat the "junk food" earlier in the day when your active its not nearly as bad as just before you go to sleep at night. Never the less they do say you are what you eat for a reason. We can get away with a lot though when we're young

Desserts with High Fructose corn syrup are also the worst as the body has a difficult time breaking it down. It is almost stored instantly as fat. Which is going to be almost anything in a package.Homemade desserts may be the best for you in many cases I think.
High Fructose corn syrup can also be found in a lot of highly processed foods such as white bread , fast foods and deli meats

Be right back --- gotta get an ice cream bar.

That's good for you, right? After all, it's a dairy product !!!

No, huh?

Damn.

Forum List

Back