My Theory on Party Tension and How to Fix It

BluePhantom

Educator (of liberals)
Nov 11, 2011
Portland, OR / Salem, OR
As a business manager/owner, I long ago started looking for the best way to assign responsibilities among my staff. Over a period of years, I created a method that is quite unorthodox but it works. My theory is that a team is not as strong as its weakest link, it is as strong as the team's ability to organize itself in such a way where strengths are maximized and weaknesses are covered by others. Thus, I do not assign responsibilities according to job title. I assign them according to individual skills and mind-sets. I began to perform analyses of how people on my staff think and what they focus on and I started to realize that certain focuses determined their political views. I determined the following:

Micro-Focused Individuals are concerned about small things. They are very detail oriented and are experts in short-term strategy. They are offensive-minded and quick to act. If there is a problem they will solve it and solve it fast. Unfortunately, they frequently miss the big-picture and don't have a good grasp of long-term cause and effect. They can get you from point A to point B quickly and smoothly, but they overlook that it will cause other things to happen in reaction. Thus they tend to be like people playing a frenzied game of whack-a-mole where they run around putting out fires of their own creation. But they are fantastic for dealing with intricacies and taking quick, decisive action. They also tend to be very idealistic and believe nothing is impossible. They are just the kind of people I want running daily operations on the front lines. I have noticed that these people are almost always Democrats.

Macro-Focused Individuals are the exact opposite. Small details are not as important as the big picture. They are ok if a few minor things are out of whack so long as the balance of the whole is not disrupted. Defensive-minded and slow to act, they are experts in long-term strategy. As they have a deep appreciation of long term cause and effect, they have a excellent understanding of how altering A will cause B, C, D, E, and F to change in reaction. Thus, their solutions are usually very effective, well considered, and will cause the minimum amount of chain-reaction turmoil. But it takes them forever to actually do something because they have to consider every possible consequence of their actions to ensure that overall balance is maintained. They tend to be realists and have a habit of dismissing good ideas because they are unlikely to be achievable. They are just the people I want running the top-level management operations. I have noticed they are almost always Republicans.

When the two work together it can be a catastrophe or a beautiful thing depending on how the responsibilities are assigned. I find that when I let my micro-focused, idealistic Democrat set the bar for what we should strive to be, then have my macro-focused, long-term thinking Republican determine the overall strategy we will use in order to reach that goal, and then let my micro-focused, quick-action, Democrat floor managers put that strategy into action, we have an extraordinarily effective team.

Two questions:

a) Do you agree that this describes the two parties accurately, generally speaking

b) Is it possible to structure government the way I structure my staff? Would it work?

Last edited:
Nice op.

I don't think that mico-vs-macro describes the two parties at all. There are micro-and-macro policies to be found in both.

But yes, we could structure some of the gubbermint like this. In fact, I think that a number of agencies use these principles in hiring personnel and delegating tasks.

It is my theory that the two parties are based on two different business models.

The democrats reflect the desire for modest sustainable profits over the long term.

The Republicans reflect the desire to cash in big right now and the long term will take care of itself.

Both parties are primarily business oriented but capitalism has become corrupted to the point that sustainably is a dirty word to some and no one really looks ahead any further than next quarter.

Nice op.

I don't think that mico-vs-macro describes the two parties at all. There are micro-and-macro policies to be found in both.

But yes, could could structure some of the gubbermint like this. In fact, I think that a number of agencies use these principles in hiring and delegating tasks.

I agree that both parties have certain elements that are both micro and macro, but I personally think they follow it pretty well. Think of Obamacare. The Democrats were saying "let's just get something passed and we will fix the problems later" and the Republicans were screaming "NO! You're going to fuck up the entire balance of everything!". I think we see the parties behave just like that all the time on the majority of issues

It is my theory that the two parties are based on two different business models.

The democrats reflect the desire for modest sustainable profits over the long term.

The Republicans reflect the desire to cash in big right now and the long term will take care of itself.

Both parties are primarily business oriented but capitalism has become corrupted to the point that sustainably is a dirty word to some and no one really looks ahead any further than next quarter.

I have found the exact opposite. The last business I ran had owners that were both very liberal and their business was failing miserably. They brought me in to right the ship...which I did. I did so by forcing a long-term business model down their throat that was based in small consistent gains over time, and believe me I had to force feed them like I was spooning castor oil into their mouths. They wanted immediate financial boosts. They were extremely reactionary and did just what I mentioned. Ran around in circles putting out fires of their own creation. When I got them to slow down and proceed in a manner that was well thought out and had purpose and strategy behind it, things started to turn around. They were both lovely people, in fact I still talk to both of them regularly, but they were lousy business people. :lol:

I have found the exact opposite. The last business I ran had owners that were both very liberal and their business was failing miserably. They brought me in to right the ship...which I did. I did so by forcing a long-term business model down their throat that was based in small consistent gains over time, and believe me I had to force feed them like I was spooning castor oil into their mouths. They wanted immediate financial boosts. They were extremely reactionary and did just what I mentioned. Ran around in circles putting out fires of their own creation. When I got them to slow down and proceed in a manner that was well thought out and had purpose and strategy behind it, things started to turn around. They were both lovely people, in fact I still talk to both of them regularly, but they were lousy business people. :lol:
I was talking about the political parties, not individuals in business.

I was talking about the political parties, not individuals in business.

I got that, and I see your point, but you would think that business people would adopt the business model of the party they support. For example, the owners I am referring to were all in support of Obamacare and talking about how healthcare is a human right. Then when they realized how it was going to impact their business they told me (and this is a direct quote the best I can remember it) "find some way to get us out of this. Any way. We don't care what it is, but this will bankrupt us". Wanna know how hard it was for me to resist the urge to reach across my desk and pound their heads on the floor screaming "well this is what you voted for you assholes!" :lol:

And....your imaginary Obamacare supporters are cute. Can we hear more?
4UiFU.gif

As a business manager/owner, I long ago started looking for the best way to assign responsibilities among my staff. Over a period of years, I created a method that is quite unorthodox but it works. My theory is that a team is not as strong as its weakest link, it is as strong as the team's ability to organize itself in such a way where strengths are maximized and weaknesses are covered by others. Thus, I do not assign responsibilities according to job title. I assign them according to individual skills and mind-sets. I began to perform analyses of how people on my staff think and what they focus on and I started to realize that certain focuses determined their political views. I determined the following:

Micro-Focused Individuals are concerned about small things. They are very detail oriented and are experts in short-term strategy. They are offensive-minded and quick to act. If there is a problem they will solve it and solve it fast. Unfortunately, they frequently miss the big-picture and don't have a good grasp of long-term cause and effect. They can get you from point A to point B quickly and smoothly, but they overlook that it will cause other things to happen in reaction. Thus they tend to be like people playing a frenzied game of whack-a-mole where they run around putting out fires of their own creation. But they are fantastic for dealing with intricacies and taking quick, decisive action. They also tend to be very idealistic and believe nothing is impossible. They are just the kind of people I want running daily operations on the front lines. I have noticed that these people are almost always Democrats.

Macro-Focused Individuals are the exact opposite. Small details are not as important as the big picture. They are ok if a few minor things are out of whack so long as the balance of the whole is not disrupted. Defensive-minded and slow to act, they are experts in long-term strategy. As they have a deep appreciation of long term cause and effect, they have a excellent understanding of how altering A will cause B, C, D, E, and F to change in reaction. Thus, their solutions are usually very effective, well considered, and will cause the minimum amount of chain-reaction turmoil. But it takes them forever to actually do something because they have to consider every possible consequence of their actions to ensure that overall balance is maintained. They tend to be realists and have a habit of dismissing good ideas because they are unlikely to be achievable. They are just the people I want running the top-level management operations. I have noticed they are almost always Republicans.

When the two work together it can be a catastrophe or a beautiful thing depending on how the responsibilities are assigned. I find that when I let my micro-focused, idealistic Democrat set the bar for what we should strive to be, then have my macro-focused, long-term thinking Republican determine the overall strategy we will use in order to reach that goal, and then let my micro-focused, quick-action, Democrat floor managers put that strategy into action, we have an extraordinarily effective team.

Two questions:

a) Do you agree that this describes the two parties accurately, generally speaking

b) Is it possible to structure government the way I structure my staff? Would it work?

I'm an NCO, and quick reaction decisions are part of life. You pretty much described me as a democrook in that I can make decent decisions on the fly and get shit done. I'm a libertarian/conservative and the furthest thing from a democrook.

I have colleagues that can plan long term and bring to my attention the folly or potential consequences of my decisions. They play chess better than me. Some of them are senior NCO's or Commissioned. None of them are democrooks.

I think what separates me from democrooks is that I'm fully aware of my limitations and open to suggestions from people I know that sit back and think about shit. They have experience and training that way. We put our heads together and accomplish the mission.

Most democrooks I know make piss poor decisions, and refuse to discuss the fact that their results were dismal. It's always someone else's fault.

Should have pushed them into a higher profit bracket business..........

I'm an NCO, and quick reaction decisions are part of life. You pretty much described me as a democrook in that I can make decent decisions on the fly and get shit done. I'm a libertarian/conservative and the furthest thing from a democrook.

I have colleagues that can plan long term and bring to my attention the folly or potential consequences of my decisions. They play chess better than me. Some of them are senior NCO's or Commissioned. None of them are democrooks.

I think what separates me from democrooks is that I'm fully aware of my limitations and open to suggestions from people I know that sit back and think about shit. They have experience and training that way. We put our heads together and accomplish the mission.

Most democrooks I know make piss poor decisions, and refuse to discuss the fact that their results were dismal. It's always someone else's fault.

First of all, thank you for your service. i don't mean that in the trite, BS way that is politically correct to do. I am seriously appreciative. My father was an army major in Vietnam. The military was not my destined path but I learned a great appreciation from my father's stories about his experiences both abroad and how he was treated when he got home. So I really mean it.

Next, from my experience, I can't say that laying blame is a Democratic thing. I think it is a coward's thing. I did it when I was just starting in my career until a mentor pulled me aside and said "Do you think anyone is going to put you in a position of responsibility over others if you won't take responsibility for yourself?" From then on I owned my mistakes and, frankly, mistakes that were not mine to own. My standard answer when my boss asks why there is a problem is "because I fucked up, that's why". Maybe it's just the industry I am in but it's a sign of respect and authority that when you screw up and the boss asks who messed up, you shoot your hand in the air and say "ME! Right here! This one is all mine!"

Should have pushed them into a higher profit bracket business..........

I tried to and we were on that path, but after a couple years I had started to generate so much profit that the senior owner decided to take the profit and open a new business that would be his baby and I was not to touch it. He had a very love/hate relationship with me. He loved me because I made him money, but he hated me because of how I made him money. He did not endorse my business policies at all. So he took all the profits and opened his dream location that had a business plan based completely on his vision of what a business should be. Personally, I think he was doing it to prove to me and the other owners that a business could be successful according to his strategy instead of mine. He paid his staff a high wage, provided health coverage for all employees, 401k for line employees, gave generously to charity (which is not a bad thing...just depends on how you do it), etc. The location went bankrupt after nine months to the point that we had to sell off two other locations to make the incredible debt he incurred manageable lest the entire corporation went down in flames. I warned him. He didn't listen. Not my problem.

First of all, thank you for your service. i don't mean that in the trite, BS way that is politically correct to do. I am seriously appreciative. My father was an army major in Vietnam. The military was not my destined path but I learned a great appreciation from my father's stories about his experiences both abroad and how he was treated when he got home. So I really mean it.

Next, from my experience, I can't say that laying blame is a Democratic thing. I think it is a coward's thing. I did it when I was just starting in my career until a mentor pulled me aside and said "Do you think anyone is going to put you in a position of responsibility over others if you won't take responsibility for yourself?" From then on I owned my mistakes and, frankly, mistakes that were not mine to own. My standard answer when my boss asks why there is a problem is "because I fucked up, that's why". Maybe it's just the industry I am in but it's a sign of respect and authority that when you screw up and the boss asks who messed up, you shoot your hand in the air and say "ME! Right here! This one is all mine!"

Same here. If a subordinate fails it's because I didn't do my job to train them. As arbitrary as government is it really doesn't matter how much I trained the guy, if I signed for something I own it.

If it's a 15-6 investigation I have no choice but to tell the truth, but otherwise I have to take responsibility. I can't blame a pvt or a 2lt.

I appreciate your recognition for serving our republic. I don't want to sound like I exploit it. There are a lot of benefits and great pay. I really do enjoy the job and I couldn't do it if productive people didn't pay an assload of taxes. The military should be more efficient in it's spending, but in all these years of sequester I haven't heard of a single "community organizer" worried about a reduction in food stamps.

Two questions:

Would this work between the Whigs and democrats? Should it work? Should we have kept the Whig party alive?

In essence one's personal experience is anecdotal and it is a mistake to extrapolate it and believe that it is representative across the board.

Obama fits your definition of a big picture Republican and Bush Jr fits the definition of a Democrat. Obama has the big vision and Bush was always rushing to "fix" things that weren't broken and causing unintended consequences.

Your two personality types exist pretty much across the board in both parties. It might just be where you live that you are encountering that breakdown. Having worked in corporations of all sizes and run my own I don't assign those categories to political parties because they simply don't apply IMO.

Forum List

Back