My thanksgiving wishes for you and my thanksgiving story I never ate my turkeys

tinydancer

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2010
Piney
Well it's thanksgiving again. I still celebrate both in the US and Canada. I had turkeys as pets. Ok. I know I'm crazy, but they really were awesome pets.

My husband brought home two chicks I think the proper name is supposed to be turkey poults and two baby ducklings as a "gift".

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Really cold spring and my son will never forgive me ever for raising them in his bedroom. :lol:

I'm the mom that put the fun in dysfunctional family.

Anyways at thanksgiving I really do give thanks for having these silly wonderful beasties in my life. Butterball was obviously the female, and Brock Lesnar was my big guy who we eyeballed at about 75 pounds.

Two duckies, L'Orange a Rouen and Aflac a Pekin.

They've all passed now, but man oh man, when Thanksgiving comes around it's the time of year where I can really say thanks to the good Lord no matter how bad the year has been because I've had one hell of a ride with all the great beasties in my life. And all the wonderful folks I have met on various boards.

I want to wish a Happy Thanksgiving for everyone at US Message board. I hope you have a great day or weekend if you are lucky enough for that.

Yours,

td

Last edited:
I had a girlfriend who had a pet duck when she was a young girl. She told me how much she had loved that duck. It followed her everywhere. It was a real pet, she really bonded with it and the duck was really her best buddy.

Her parents (who I knew, and they were kind of weird assholes, in my opinion) decided this was not a good thing. She was becoming too attached to the duck. So one day she came home from school and the duck was gone. Just gone. She later heard something that indicated some friends of her parents were given the duck for dinner.

When she was telling me this story, it was 20 years later, and it was clear that she had never forgiven her parents for that. She still resented them doing that, 20 years later. And I don't blame her! It was a sneaky, rotten thing to do.

I've raised chickens and ducks.

Great pets.

Great food.

Win/win!

Win/win for you maybe, not so much for them.

One time I had a pet rabbit. I was only about four. Somehow my rabbit got out of the yard, and I heard it was killed by a dog. There was an old lady who lived in a little house across the street from us. My parents referred to her as Grandma Lee, like she was my real grandma or something. When my rabbit had disappeared, I noticed some kids gather around the porch of Grandma Lee's house so went over to see what was going on.

Grandma Lee was butchering my pet rabbit, that's what was going on. It was like a nightmare to a little four year old kid. I'm 59 years old and still remember that. Grandma Lee was a bitch. I never spoke to her again, no matter how my parents tried to fix it. Grandma Lee died not too long after that, perhaps it was one of the first manifestations of my witchly powers. : )

Last edited:
Good lord, get over it. Gramma Lee was undoubtedly hungry.

I had a friend who raised rabbits to butcher, and I, unhappily, happened to be there one morning when butchering was taking place. Yes they scream before they're thwacked, then it's over.

I got over it, I don't see my friend's father as some sort of monster. He wasn't. I ate rabbit many times at their house.

As well as lamb, goose, duck, turkey, chicken, venisorn, beef, and pork.

To hate people for being carnivorous is just over the top crazy. And honest, I don't want to hear about your witchly powers. Good grief.

Forum List

Back