My take on last night's debate

Wiseacre

Retired USAF Chief
Apr 8, 2011
San Antonio, TX
1. Obama showed up this time, and did very well.

2. Romney did another fine job, about the same as last time.

3. I thought Romney flubbed a chance to nail Obama on the Benghazi attack, should've asked him why his administration continued to put out the fiction about the video being the cause long after everyone else knew it wasn't true. I expect this will come up in the 3rd debate, and Romney will do a better job.

4. Never ask your opponent a question when you're on the clock, as Romney did a couple times. That gives your opponent a chance to talk on your dime, and Obama obliged. I'm thinking about the issue of investments in China, Romney blew another chance to go at Obama for the poor business climate here.

5. Crowley fucked up, giving support to the president when she was supposed to be unbiased, on the question of the Benghazi attack being a terrorist attack. Shoulda kept her mouth shut and let them fight it out.

6. I'd give this one to Obama by 5 points, mostly cuz Romney missed some chances to go after him. Was wondering how the female voters felt about it, were they turned off by both candidates enough to decide not to vote for either one? Obviously the committed ones will vote for their guy anyway, but what about the uncommitted ones?

7. Don't know if this debate swayed many independent voters one way or the other, but I'm pretty sure Obama's base is feeling much better today. And Romney's base maybe not quite so cocky. Be interesting to see what the polls show a few days down the road, after people have had time to digest it all.

Last edited:
I agree mostly, except that I think the debate swept the undecideds into the Romney camp. Obama fired up his base, at the expense of the undecideds and the middle.

Right now all Romney has to do is tread water in the final debate, and the overall outcome of the debates (including the VP one) will be a net positive for him. How positive will be the effect is what will determine the outcome of the election.

The primary effect of the debates is really of the Democrats own making. Between the party faithful and the media Obama had this aura of invincibility when it came to debating, an aura that wasnt really warranted, or was overstated in 2008 due to the climate against Bush, and the ability of Democrats to basically bash Bush thier way through the debates. As the incumbent, Obama now has a record to run on, and that record is questionable to say the least.

WITH the improper and inaccurate "assist" from Crowley, it can be argued that President Obama came in first by a nose. Maybe.

In practical terms, it was a draw.

And the President needed a LOT more than a draw.

Other than that I'd say that I pretty much agree with the OP. And it makes me literally laugh to read the blather from the left that The ONE somehow "won" the debate (much less that he did so decisively).

WITH the improper and inaccurate "assist" from Crowley, it can be argued that President Obama came in first by a nose. Maybe.

In practical terms, it was a draw.

And the President needed a LOT more than a draw.

Other than that I'd say that I pretty much agree with the OP. And it makes me literally laugh to read the blather from the left that The ONE somehow "won" the debate (much less that he did so decisively).

Honestly, I think the Crowley stunt will hurt Obama in the long run.

1. It puts focus on Benghazi
  2. It sets Obama up in the next debate
  3. It reminds the nation of media bias

I agree mostly, except that I think the debate swept the undecideds into the Romney camp. Obama fired up his base, at the expense of the undecideds and the middle.

Not sure about "swept" but i definitely don't think many undecideds would have decided to go with Obama after that. Obama simply has no defense for "look at the unemployment, the real unemployment, the growth getting less and less since 2008", etc. His only response is to basically say "we know there's work left to be done."

Good assessment, I agree with several of your points. Romney had some flubs, and I give the debate to Obama too.

Obama may have won on stagecraft, but according to the CNN poll, Romney won on all the issues.

Next, regardless of which presidential candidate you support, please tell me if you think Barack Obama or Mitt Romney would better handle each of the following issues:

The economy in general
•Mitt Romney 58% (55%)
•Barack Obama 40% (43%)

Health care
•Mitt Romney 49% (52%)
•Barack Obama 46% (47%)

Taxes
•Mitt Romney 51% (53%)
•Barack Obama 44% (44%)

The federal budget deficit
•Mitt Romney 59% (57%)
•Barack Obama 36% (41%)

Foreign policy
•Barack Obama 49%
•Mitt Romney 47%

Thinking about the following characteristics and qualities, please say whether you think each one better described Barack Obama or Mitt Romney during tonight’s debate.

Spent more time attacking his opponent
•Barack Obama 49% (30%)
•Mitt Romney 35% (53%)

Seemed to be the stronger leader
•Mitt Romney 49% (58%)
•Barack Obama 46% (37%)

Poll Watch: CNN/ORC 2012 Presidential Debate Survey | Race 4 2012

I think it was 55-45 Mitt winning. Give or take a couple points. The lies and bandering hurt him. Mitt stood his ground as I thought he would. Both had good style. obamas style reminded me of Paul Ryan.

Good assessment, I agree with several of your points. Romney had some flubs, and I give the debate to Obama too.

Obama may have won on stagecraft, but according to the CNN poll, Romney won on all the issues.

Next, regardless of which presidential candidate you support, please tell me if you think Barack Obama or Mitt Romney would better handle each of the following issues:

The economy in general
•Mitt Romney 58% (55%)
•Barack Obama 40% (43%)

Health care
•Mitt Romney 49% (52%)
•Barack Obama 46% (47%)

Taxes
•Mitt Romney 51% (53%)
•Barack Obama 44% (44%)

The federal budget deficit
•Mitt Romney 59% (57%)
•Barack Obama 36% (41%)

Foreign policy
•Barack Obama 49%
•Mitt Romney 47%

Thinking about the following characteristics and qualities, please say whether you think each one better described Barack Obama or Mitt Romney during tonight’s debate.

Spent more time attacking his opponent
•Barack Obama 49% (30%)
•Mitt Romney 35% (53%)

Seemed to be the stronger leader
•Mitt Romney 49% (58%)
•Barack Obama 46% (37%)

Poll Watch: CNN/ORC 2012 Presidential Debate Survey | Race 4 2012

FYI, more from ur link:

In his remarks tonight, do you think Barack Obama did or did not offer a clear plan for solving the country’s problems?
•Did 38%
•Did not 61%

no kiddin', he's never offered a clear plan on anything

In his remarks tonight, do you think Mitt Romney did or did not offer a clear plan for solving the country’s problems?
•Did 49%
•Did not 50%

True enough I think. You can't be making promises that you don't know you can keep. Romney is trying not to give the dems anything they can shoot at, as far as details are concerned.

Overall, did tonight’s debate make you more likely to vote for Barack Obama or more likely to vote for Mitt Romney, or did tonight’s debate not affect how you are likely to vote?
•More likely to vote for Romney 25% (35%)
•More likely to vote for Obama 25% (18%)
•No effect on vote 48% (47%)

This poll was takern with 457 responents, supposedly split between repub, dem, and independents. On the last question, the number in parentheses is the results after the 1st debate. So, Romney dropped 10 points, and Obama went up 7, and they are now basically even. +/- 4 points margin of error.

Half of the respondents are already committed one way or the other in this poll. I'd think nation wide that number is probably higher, most of us already know which way we're going to go. And I suspect the voter turnout might be lower this time.

Obama stayed consistent in two major areas as he still failed to verbalize a coherent and specific economic and energy plan moving forward.

New Topics

Forum List

Back