My Students are Clueless!

Deornwulf

Nov 10, 2004
I teach at a high school in South Florida. For today's journal in my English class and case journal for my Debate class, I asked them for their opinions on Terri Schiavo.

My jaw dropped when more than one had a blank stare and asked, "Who is Terri Schiavo?"

BTW, there were more girls than boys who had no idea. One of the boys who would have been my last pick for being informed even knew she was bullemic.

What the hell is the deal with these children and their parents that they could have no clue about the story that has been in the headlines for the past two weeks?

Deornwulf said:
I teach at a high school in South Florida. For today's journal in my English class and case journal for my Debate class, I asked them for their opinions on Terri Schiavo.

My jaw dropped when more than one had a blank stare and asked, "Who is Terri Schiavo?"

BTW, there were more girls than boys who had no idea. One of the boys who would have been my last pick for being informed even knew she was bullemic.

What the hell is the deal with these children and their parents that they could have no clue about the story that has been in the headlines for the past two weeks?

Boy,that is strange considering you are in Florida!!! I was even interested in the news and what was going on when was a teenager. Probably a lot of their parents don't watch the news...why, I have no idea!!

Deornwulf said:

that doesn't surprise me one bit, actually. they are teenagers, they have their own lives and worlds that revolve around them and their tight group of friends. Current events should be a required course for 3 years in high school.

Hell, it has been going on 7 years, if you have been following anything more than the front page....this does not surprise me coming from a state that has old ladies running a dozen bingo cards flawlessly, yet cannot vote!

(I am getting ready to re-locate back to SOFLA....there are some things I am NOT looking forward to....like the MORONS!!!!!)

krisy said:
Boy,that is strange considering you are in Florida!!! I was even interested in the news and what was going on when was a teenager. Probably a lot of their parents don't watch the news...why, I have no idea!!

MAybe thats a good thing.

I don't think its surprising at all. In fact, I'm MORE surprised that they knew anything at all.

Most adults in this country do not have a clue what is going on aside from the most basic, "war in Iraq, gas prices high," type information...is it any wonder that their children are even more clueless?

Forum List

Back