my Star Wars review...

gop_jeff said:
Han Solo would kick Jean Luc's butt!
What? for shame! one of the things that makes star trek better (other than the way better acting) is that it is more scientific than Star Wars... And way less cheesey.... doesn't Star wars have like these teddy bear things running around!? How much cheesier can u get? And the force? pahlease... with all due respect to Harrison Ford, Jean Luc would slaughter Hansolo...

And kirk is not the better captain! willaim shatner is a horrible actor and kirk freaked out too much while Jean Luc remains calm and collected... Plus he has way more class and dignity.... And he didn't get fat...

Oh my goodness! what is the world coming to? questioning Jean Luc Picard! I now fear for the human race...

lol...

kancer43 said:
What? for shame! one of the things that makes star trek better (other than the way better acting) is that it is more scientific than Star Wars... And way less cheesey.... doesn't Star wars have like these teddy bear things running around!? How much cheesier can u get? And the force? pahlease... with all due respect to Harrison Ford, Jean Luc would slaughter Hansolo...

The bold portion is dead wrong. The difference in science between Trek and Wars is that Wars doesn't embarrass itself trying to explain the science behind it. And cheesy, you want cheesy? Explain to me how it is that altering the main deflector dish seems to be the instant solution to everything that can't be cured by altering the warp engines. Need a huge weapon? Main defelctor dish. Alter the atmosphere? Main deflector dish. Got a toothache? Main deflector dish. Thats probably why Enterprise sucked...they didn't have one. Now, Jean Luc would not kill Han Solo one on one. Jean Luc's strenth lies in his leadership and his crew, and he would hesitate out of mercy and compassion while, like in the original we all love, Han would shoot first.

And kirk is not the better captain! willaim shatner is a horrible actor and kirk freaked out too much while Jean Luc remains calm and collected... Plus he has way more class and dignity.... And he didn't get fat...

Couldn't agree more.

Oh my goodness! what is the world coming to? questioning Jean Luc Picard! I now fear for the human race...

lol...

I fear more the questioning of Han Solo. I mean, he's got a wookie for a best friend and made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs. He also got to marry Carrie Fischer. :bow2:

• Thanks
Reactions: Dan
I agree with everything Hobbit said 100%.

What? for shame! one of the things that makes star trek better (other than the way better acting) is that it is more scientific than Star Wars...

I'll give you the better acting. But more scientific??? What was their scientific explanation for every planet Kirk went to looking like a California mountainside? What about the "aliens" that look an awful lot like women with green makeup on? And spoke English.

I'm just giving you a hard time, but I think one of the major reasons I DIDN'T like Star Trek is because it tries to be too technical.

And, as for Han vs. Picard, no question, Han would annihilate him. As Hobbit said, Picard is a great, stoic leader, but Han Solo is a down and dirty hustler who's shown (as far as the TRUE fans are concerned) that he's willing to shoot first and ask questions later.

The thing I have trouble buying in any Sci-Fi setting is how cultures are planet-wide. We have hundreds of cultures and languages on this planet... I think the most realistic language thing I've seen so far is the wookies, whose vocal cords are incapable of using human speech.

Dan said:
I agree with everything Hobbit said 100%.

I'll give you the better acting. But more scientific??? What was their scientific explanation for every planet Kirk went to looking like a California mountainside? What about the "aliens" that look an awful lot like women with green makeup on? And spoke English.

I'm just giving you a hard time, but I think one of the major reasons I DIDN'T like Star Trek is because it tries to be too technical.

And, as for Han vs. Picard, no question, Han would annihilate him. As Hobbit said, Picard is a great, stoic leader, but Han Solo is a down and dirty hustler who's shown (as far as the TRUE fans are concerned) that he's willing to shoot first and ask questions later.
I'm not a fan of the orginal series... but tng beats star trek... and yhe basis of star trek is completlely possible... in the future we probly will be able to reach other planets, and there probly will be conflicts and alliences... but there won't be any force, or running teddy bears... And as far as it not being cheesey... how is something called a wooky not cheesey?
Also, Picard may be more merciful and not fire, but before hansolo even fired worf from tng would have blown him away or broke him in half... seriously, cling ons would be the first to fire... they live for that... as soon as worf seen him he would have lunged at him... and if for some reason hansolo was able to kill warf, picard would have seen him do so and fired at hansolo....
jees.... I feel like such a geek... lol...

worf.jpg

kancer43 said:

lol...

I never said Shatner was a better actor, only that he would kick Jean Luc's spindly butt. He had all that practice at fistfights in the original show, Jean Luc only had that in the first season, then he acted totally differently after Gene died and wasn't helping to write them. His big brain would be no match for all that physical Star Trek style battling, ending with a two fisted punch in the back!

Face it, Jean Luc would have been wearing one of the red shirts in the original episodes.

I nearly busted a gut! Geez, you now have to come over here and clean the screen on my monitor. It's your fault...

Hey, I didn't write it! My screen was spotted as well! :p:

Wasn't that good, though? Really touched on pretty much everything I didn't like about the movie. My favorite bit, though...

HAYDEN CHRISTENSEN
What have I done?
(pause)
I submit myself to your will, Ian.

IAN MCDIARMID
That was fast. Well, now that you
have taken a single, somewhat
justifiable step toward the Dark
Side, there's no turning back. Go
kill all of the Jedi in the temple,
including the children.

HAYDEN CHRISTENSEN
Right, go kill the children. Got it.

IAN MCDIARMID
Well, kill everyone, not just--

HAYDEN CHRISTENSEN
(leaving)
On my way to kill all of the
children now! Whee!

I have always been a star wars fan, of the first three or last three, the ones made twenty years ago. I am still trying to decide what I feel about this last triple of films and although I have seen the first two I have not seen the final episode.

I have heard from several folks out there that the whole 'nooo' cry out loud from Darth Vader was laughable ... It certainly sounds funny. And I agree with Dan in that D.V. now seems to have opened us up and made us realize that he is not just a world class villian but a world class dumbass. For that, I think it would have been to leave the whole 'how did Vader turn evil' question to the movie goers imagination.

I agree that the acting in the first three films but for Harrison Ford was okay at best. I think the acting grew worse in the last film back in 83.

Here is what I do like - the evil emp. as I think he is a good actor, Ian also... the female lead and male lead - if I were to judge them on this film alone - or so so at best - and I haven't seen either of them in anything else.

Question:

Did Anakin know he had a son?
How did they explain that?
How did they explain Tarkin? - when did he arrive as he was in the first star wars film and was killed off after the death star blew.
How did they explain Anakin/Vader turning from his so called friend to refering to him as 'master'?

I don't care about finding out anything...I know a bit already - and I too am waiting for the cd...

winston churchi said:
Question:

1. Did Anakin know he had a son?
2. How did they explain that?
3. How did they explain Tarkin? - when did he arrive as he was in the first star wars film and was killed off after the death star blew.
How did they explain Anakin/Vader turning from his so called friend to refering to him as 'master'?

I don't care about finding out anything...I know a bit already - and I too am waiting for the cd...

1. Anakin knew that his wife died in childbirth, it was a part of the whole "Nooooooooooooo!" scene.
2. They showed Senator Organa meeting with Kenobi and Yoda and deciding to adopt the daughter that they could not have while Ben took Luke to Dantooine to live with his relatives and stayed to "watch over" him. (They screwed this up, in the earlier films Leia was referred to as Lukes "little sister" yet they showed her being born first).
3. Tarkin was in the last scenes with Vader and the Emperor, but was not a character in the film, he just was there.

no1tovote4 said:
3. Tarkin was in the last scenes with Vader and the Emperor, but was not a character in the film, he just was there.

exactly.

it is a link between the III and the IV.

(if you want to learn more about Tarkin, there is a lot in some books, specially the role game Star Wars, and the technical file of the Death Star ;) )

no1tovote4 said:
1. Anakin knew that his wife died in childbirth, it was a part of the whole "Nooooooooooooo!" scene.
2. They showed Senator Organa meeting with Kenobi and Yoda and deciding to adopt the daughter that they could not have while Ben took Luke to Tattooine to live with his relatives and stayed to "watch over" him. (They screwed this up, in the earlier films Leia was referred to as Lukes "little sister" yet they showed her being born first).

sorry had to correct that. you may think its nerdy but its a MAJOR error. ;)

gop_jeff said:
Very true... Dantooine is the location of an abandoned Rebel base in ANH.

yUP. d'OH! Even I can make an occassional mistake, too bad I did it on such an important topic!

Dan said:

Sorry for reviving this thread, but being a relative newbie and cinephile I thought I'd put my two cents in. On another thread I have put down as my favorite movie Dead Poet's Society. However, this is only a recent event, because up until about 6 years ago it was Star Wars. I remember when it first came out it blew me away. I was quite young at the time and I saw it 5 times. However, as time has gone on, it became to mean less and less to me. It was around about the time Lucas added those extra minutes to the three originals, and I went and saw A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, that I lost interest. So, like most older Star Wars fans, when the other three came out, while I thought they were OK, the clunky lines and Haydn Christiansen's woeful acting didn't help matters. And it left me a tad confused. How could a movie that meant so much to me growing up, and now its prequels, fall so badly. Then it hit me. A couple of things to note: most critics rate The Empire Strikes Back as the best of the six. Mainly due to having a different writer and director from the original. But the thing is, and I think anybody over the age of 20 forgets this, is that Lucas wrote these movies for kids, not us adults. And that is why I think some our opinions are now coloured. My views of these movies are those of a middle-aged adult, not a wide-eyed kid. My two boys (four and five) love these movies. I see in them what I saw in myself those many moons ago. So maybe it's not that Lucas changed, but we did...that's my theory anyway...

[edit This post relates to the first couple of posts in this thread...didn't read all of the posts]

I guess that's a fair assessment. But the first 3 are still enjoyable for most adults. Maybe because they grew up with them?

Anyway, I wouldn't really consider the third one to have been made for kids, maybe teenagers, but it was pretty heavy to be a kids' movie.

Forum List

Back