my staff....god help em....

manu1959 said:
as some of you may know...i am an architect .... we live to design builidngs .... egos are huge ... go watch the fountainhead .... anyway to be given a project to design is a big deal to a young architect .... to have that taken away ....well ... i might as well take away you alls abilty to post here .....

also i don't like to fire people....it is too quick...it allows them to blame me...it allows them to desert the problem.... it allows them to move on with their lives....

a long drawn out torture until they self eject is leagally much safer plus if they suddenly get it ... then all the better ....

If it's long, drawn out torture that you seek, may I recommend some good, old-fashioned micro-management. Make them provide you with status reports every hour, on the hour. Supervise every little detail of their 8 hours for a few weeks,,,if they are worth hanging onto, they will do what is necessary to get out from under your thumb. Under no circumstances, however, should you do their work for them.

MissileMan said:
If it's long, drawn out torture that you seek, may I recommend some good, old-fashioned micro-management. Make them provide you with status reports every hour, on the hour. Supervise every little detail of their 8 hours for a few weeks,,,if they are worth hanging onto, they will do what is necessary to get out from under your thumb. Under no circumstances, however, should you do their work for them.

And then in the end, just before it is due, redesign it yourself anyway...

no1tovote4 said:
And then in the end, just before it is due, redesign it yourself anyway...

that just kills them.....

anyway here is an update

the one that should have been doing the drawings has gone awol....seriously he has gone silent and no one knows where he is.....all of his work has been reassigned to other staff....and i kept the good projects for myself.....

the woman project manager appologized fell on her sword and offered to resign and came to me with a solution to ensure that it would never happen again.....she has been given more work

the male project manager said "he blew it and he should have been doing his job better......" he is still wandering the wilderness

Johnney said:
heres what you do. pick the biggest shitbag of the bunch, then fire him in front of everyone. then let it sink in for everyone else that your serious about then getting their workload finished

gotta be careful though...the guy fired in front of everyone could come back and sue for embarrassment/self esteem lowering or something. people have sued for dumber shit.

fuzzykitten99 said:
gotta be careful though...the guy fired in front of everyone could come back and sue for embarrassment/self esteem lowering or something. people have sued for dumber shit.
and won, thats whats a matter in this country.

Johnney said:
and won, thats whats a matter in this country.

This really burns my butt!!!! Incompetence should never be rewarded.....however, I hate to see companies bankrupted while standing on principle. I would much prefer that civil lawsuits go to arbitration and hopefully the abitrator can do their job without bias.

My educational background is Organizational Behavior and I have to say one of the first things I learned was that if an employment related lawsuit goes to trial........the jury is usually 100% employees of one firm or another and will always see it from the employee's perspective so it's better to settle out of court........even if the firm is justified in their actions.

CSM said:
Can't be myself, GunnyL or Pegwinn. We are too busy fighting all enemies, foriegn and domestic.

How about the wife of a SGM? who also happens to be one of those "efficiency experts" who come in and clean house!

:teeth:

Call them each in one at a time and assign them a task that must be perfect, or thier jobs and futures are forfeit.

Make sure the job requires teamwork to complete.

Those who can, will
Those who cannot will be fired (yeah, let em get on with their lives, just not your life)

Those who figure out the teamwork angle are salvageable. Place them outside holding a rifle at ninety degrees until the princess finishes whipping them into shape :p

But, bite the bullit and put the genuine losers shit out into the street. Then kick ass an remotivate the remainder.

pegwinn said:
Call them each in one at a time and assign them a task that must be perfect, or thier jobs and futures are forfeit.

Make sure the job requires teamwork to complete.

Those who can, will
Those who cannot will be fired (yeah, let em get on with their lives, just not your life)

Those who figure out the teamwork angle are salvageable. Place them outside holding a rifle at ninety degrees until the princess finishes whipping them into shape :p

But, bite the bullit and put the genuine losers shit out into the street. Then kick ass an remotivate the remainder.

This is how princess kicks ass:

There are four categories an employee will fall into.

1) Unwilling and unable
2) Unwilling and able
3) Willing and unable
4) Willing and able

Get rid of all in category 1; Put category 2 on notice; Get training and/or tools for category 3; Challenge and reward the hell out of category 4.

Categorization always comes before whipping into shape --- I don't waste my time whipping anyone in category 1! :whip:

I don't know if you already said, manu, but what kind of drawings do you do? Architectural? Advertising?

kurtsprincess said:
This is how princess kicks ass:

There are four categories an employee will fall into.

1) Unwilling and unable
2) Unwilling and able
3) Willing and unable
4) Willing and able

Good Call.

Small Unit Leadership: A commonsense approach.

I used to require all my Marines to buy that book when they made Corporal. Then made em give a class on it to the Sergeants and above. Imagine giving a "football fundamentals" class to the Superbowl winners. Much sweat involved.

rtwngAvngr said:
I don't know if you already said, manu, but what kind of drawings do you do? Architectural? Advertising?

i design multi family housing projects....california

so you can't fire people for incompetance.....california....they will calim they wouldn't have failed if i hadn't given them thing to do.

architects live for designing buildings....i simple take that work away and sit them in the corner with nothing to do.....the ceo requires timecards be 95% billable....they have no billable time....he asks me why...i say i have no work and he either transfers them or lays them off.....insedious really....plus i get to design whiach i am not suposed to do

plot thickens.........

the senior partner (i am a jr partner) is good friends with the designer that dropped the ball on the two projects and missed the deadlines.....

so guess what.....it is not his fault that he missed the deadlines.....know why?

because i gave him the deadline.....

here is the insane part...i wasn't at the meeting that set the deadlines he missed...... he was...and he is the one that set the deadlines.....

wait ...that isn't the insane part....this is.....i have been asked to "reach out" to him because he is upset.....

so i ask him what is wrong.........

bet you can't guess his response......

manu1959 said:
plot thickens.........

the senior partner (i am a jr partner) is good friends with the designer that dropped the ball on the two projects and missed the deadlines.....

so guess what.....it is not his fault that he missed the deadlines.....know why?

here is the insane part...i wasn't at the meeting that set the deadlines he missed...... he was...and he is the one that set the deadlines.....

wait ...that isn't the insane part....this is.....i have been asked to "reach out" to him because he is upset.....

You're just too hard on me! "My B-friend and I have been having domestic squabbles?" Um... I can make a few more guesses...

manu1959 said:
plot thickens.........

you have got to be kidding? what type of people are you raising out there in cali?

kurtsprincess said:
How about the wife of a SGM? who also happens to be one of those "efficiency experts" who come in and clean house!

:teeth:
Sounds like a job for you allright!

Everyone knows that CSM/SGM are third down on the totem pole....only the significant other (insert "spouse" if you like) and God are higher. Usually, said CSM/SGM can get along just fine with God....

CSM said:
Sounds like a job for you allright!

Everyone knows that CSM/SGM are third down on the totem pole....only the significant other (insert "spouse" if you like) and God are higher. Usually, said CSM/SGM can get along just fine with God....

No, No, you got it wrong.

Master Sergeants are above all, that's why we are called "Top"

his response was............it is winter

gues what happened today.......the senior partners have asked me to appologize to him for the good of the company

manu1959 said:
his response was............it is winter

gues what happened today.......the senior partners have asked me to appologize to him for the good of the company

Tell em to pound sand!

Also tell them if they want to do something for the good of the company that getting rid of the dead weight would help immensely.

Forum List

Back