My soapbox was getting a little dusty...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Bullypulpit, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    As I read the headlines, listen to the radio and watch TV, I really don't hear any meaningful debate from the rabid-right and Potemkin village patriots about the war in Iraq. All that I do hear or see is that anyone who even <i>suggests</i> that we possibly consider redeploying troops in Iraq are immediately branded as unpatriotic, treasonous, un-American, terrorist-loving, troop-hating, cheese-eating, surrender monkeys. These assertions, or the seemingly infinite permutations thereof, are patently false. But that doesn't matter to the slavish supporters of the Bush administration and this war who make such assertions, because truth is not the issue.

What they are attempting to do is avoid the possibility of any debate on the issue of the war in Iraq because they cannot win a straight up argument. So instead, they take the statements of the administration's, and the war's, opponents and turn them inside out, take them out of context, turning them into something entirely different from what they originally meant. Thus they attempt to marginalize those opponents of the administration and the war, and by doing so, squelch any meaningful debate, because that is simply the last thing they want.

2. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    You must be getting your media feed from a different planet. Last I checked half a dozen or so Republicans have openly criticized Bush's war effort. I haven't heard any rebuttals of being un-patriotic or treasoness from the administration regarding this as well as few comments from talk radio.

Support for this war is eroding everywhere, including in the right wing, myself included. There will be big time problems if we leave of course, but this has turned from the worthy cause of trying to promote a free, democratic country to trying to babysit a bunch of teenagers who would rather just kill each other. Look no further than this passed weekend for evidence of that, when there were 200 plus casulites in a suicide bombing, all Iraqis.

I can get behind the cause of liberator. I can't get behind spending American lives to be referee and babysitter.

3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770

What's there to debate? The left has kept up a running barrage of propaganda long enough that everyone's tired of it and tuning out. All you want to do is bail.

What's to debate about THAT?

4. Ninja

Ninja Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +377
    Funny that I've yet to meet an anti- who thinks it possible to be pro-THIS-war in good faith.

(For the record, I don't identify as "pro-THIS-war". Just sayin' I see some hypocrisy when left-leaners complain about the level of the debate.)

5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Bully's a vet, not anti-war. He's anti-THIS-war.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Ninja

Ninja Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +377
    Fixed.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Bully, it's a two way street:

http://usmessageboard.com/showthread.php?p=585876#post585876 #75 I believe.

8. actsnoblemartin

actsnoblemartin I love Andrea & April

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +407
    I dont really have any comment on the war in iraq. Except, I disagree in the strongest terms possible, with people branding you or others like you with name calling, and mean spirited bullying. Its not true, I hate what the left does it, Therefore i cannot and will not condone it when the right does it.

I am neutral on the iraq war, but whether we agree or not, i will stand up with you, and fight for your right to speak, and have your voice heard.

9. Bullypulpit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    And the red-meat, rabid right is painting them with the same brush they've been painting 'liberals' and other opponents of the Bush administration's pursuit of the occupation of Iraq.

10. Bullypulpit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    The invasion and occupation of Iraq was a conscious choice made by the Bush administration for, at best, dubious reasons. Bush and Co could've scraped Afghanistan out like a gourd and had my full support. But they took their eyes off of the real enemy and drew down troops in Afghanistan to work off Bush's chubby for Saddam.