My Sister Has Ended Her 2 Year Around the World Tour

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
and is planning to settle in Toronto with her boyfriend which incidentally is the home of the Bata Shoe Museum.

I'm planning to visit her there and was wondering what are things to do and see there. The shoe museum is on the list much to the chagrin of my husband.

The last time I was in Canada, I was in Quebec for two weeks.

Interesting city. It has a very bustling Chinatown and for some eclectic dining I recommend the Kensington Market area. You'll probably want to visit the CN Tower and stand on the glass floor.....nearby is the Hockey Hall of Fame if you're interested in the sport and you can see the Stanley Cup. For food shopping I would suggest the St Lawrence Market area (nearby is a great English style pub, the Jersey Giant). If you're down that way go a little further east and visit the Distillery District (if you like beer try the Mill Street Brewery) and have a wander around. Some of the places might look familiar because quite a few movies have been shot there. It's got some wonderful Victorian era industrial architecture.

Like Greek food? Head for the Danforth, you can also see some of the locations in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" if you liked the film. There are plenty of cultural events in TO if you're into live music and theatre.

I suppose you can just look it up but it's easy to get around in on foot (grid pattern to the streets) and the public transportation system is quite negotiable. You can use streetcars (my favourite), buses and the subway with the same ticket, just ask the operator on the streetcar for a transfer, they'll explain it to you if need be.

Anyway, it's a great city, I love visiting.

and is planning to settle in Toronto with her boyfriend which incidentally is the home of the Bata Shoe Museum.

I'm planning to visit her there and was wondering what are things to do and see there. The shoe museum is on the list much to the chagrin of my husband.

If my wife wanted to go to the shoe museum, I'd be going to the SkyDome to catch a Jays game...preferably against the Red Sox.

If my wife wanted to go to the shoe museum, I'd be going to the SkyDome to catch a Jays game...preferably against the Red Sox.

My sister went to the shoe museum and she did mention the ubiquitous chairs designated for the husband or boyfriend that couldn't get out of going. LOL.

Being a big hockey fan, he might want to see the Stanley Cup again.

Anything for history buffs?

History? Fort York (check opening hours).

And you can wander down to Parliament Street (it's long, make sure you stick to the end where Front Street East and Parliament intersect. Head south on Parliament and you can find a patch of grass where the parliament used to be before the Americans burnt it down. There's only a plaque there now. There's a place nearby you can get coffee and a sandwich. Actually if you visit the Distillery District you will walk right past the parliament site, it will be on your right as you walk south along Parliament towards the Gardner Expressway which is further south near the lakeshore. To get into the Distillery District turn left off Parliament at the condo block before the dog parlour and head straight in.

Also you might like a visit to the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum) (subway is easiest to get there). If you're an aviation buff then head out to Downsview, very good aviation museum there in the site where De Havilland built Chipmunks and the Arrow

Canadian Air and Space Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then who's going to carry all the shoes? :confused:

I can see his point.:eusa_eh:

When I went to Toronto, we spent a half a day on the Toronto Islands and rented a bicycle where we could ride beside each other. It was pretty fun to explore...and flat.

Forum List

Back