"My Religion Says I Can't Use Birth Control, So I Don't..."

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Natural Family Planning - Why We Use Fertility Charts

" My husband and I met during my freshman year at our Jesuit university. Curious and spiritual, we discussed religion a lot during our courtship, and gradually started becoming more interested in Catholicism. We converted right before we married. Twenty-two and in love, we started our marriage as practicing Catholics with everything that entailed: weekly mass, confession—and no birth control.

Since I was a practicing Christian when we met, birth control was a non-issue. I was "saving myself" for marriage. Like most Christian girls, I struggled with chastity throughout dating and engagement, looking forward to marriage as a sexual free-for-all where I could pick a form of birth control to my liking and fornicate all I wanted. But during our conversion, we realized that anything that intentionally divorced sex from procreation—birth control, pulling out, a blowjob—was a no-go. For practicing Catholics who wanted to avoid a pregnancy, total abstinence or something called Natural Family Planning (NFP) was the only licit option."

Um, did they never consider how 'family planning' IS birth control? Just by other means than devices and drugs? If that's ok, then why not a contraceptive device or drug that doesn't terminate an established pregnancy, but prevents one from taking hold in the first place? What they're already doing via 'rhythm method' type stuff.

Once again illustrating the abject inanity of "religious control" of individuals.

Another weird thing about this is, why convert to Catholicism? Does a person really believe the Protestant religions (which normally will allow birth control) are so far astray from Christianity that any of them would have to be abandoned to save one's soul?

geez...

Natural Family Planning - Why We Use Fertility Charts

" My husband and I met during my freshman year at our Jesuit university. Curious and spiritual, we discussed religion a lot during our courtship, and gradually started becoming more interested in Catholicism. We converted right before we married. Twenty-two and in love, we started our marriage as practicing Catholics with everything that entailed: weekly mass, confession—and no birth control.

Since I was a practicing Christian when we met, birth control was a non-issue. I was "saving myself" for marriage. Like most Christian girls, I struggled with chastity throughout dating and engagement, looking forward to marriage as a sexual free-for-all where I could pick a form of birth control to my liking and fornicate all I wanted. But during our conversion, we realized that anything that intentionally divorced sex from procreation—birth control, pulling out, a blowjob—was a no-go. For practicing Catholics who wanted to avoid a pregnancy, total abstinence or something called Natural Family Planning (NFP) was the only licit option."

Um, did they never consider how 'family planning' IS birth control? Just by other means than devices and drugs? If that's ok, then why not a contraceptive device or drug that doesn't terminate an established pregnancy, but prevents one from taking hold in the first place? What they're already doing via 'rhythm method' type stuff.

Why do you care? They are not telling you what to do. They are writing about the successes and struggles they have had with their chosen method. What business is it of yours?

You want the Pomp and circumstance of RC without all the crap?

Try Anglican, aka "high church Episcopalian". They ven let women be bishops and most congregations will mary same-sex fans but do the line about human/goat relationships so they don't get many converts from Islam.

Forum List

Back