My Redneck Bumper

Jimmyeatworld

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2004
America
My recent habit of slamming into a deer on the highway has inspired me to make an addition to one of my rides.

USMBJeepbumper%201.jpg

How would you like to see this coming at you while crossing the street?

USMBJeepbumper%202.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
The welds don't look too hot. I'll bet I could grab that top rail and rip it off. I say that because I was taught how to weld long, long ago, starting with A/C stick, then D/C stick, then Oxcy/Acetalene Brazing, then MIG, and finaly TIG. The welds on that bumper look like scrambled eggs. It's all piled up, knotted and spattered, and I know from experience that welds like that aren't very strong. Welds should be smooth. I'd say just from looking at it, that top piece isn't very sturdy. I'd bet that if you smack a deer at 55 mph with that, the top piece is gone. (And did whoever built it use a tape measure at all, some pieces look crocked?)

I don't mean to be so critical, but I've built this sort of stuff for years. I was mentored by some very talented old masters, and now I look at something quite critically, so when you asked... well...

So I'll apologize now for any hard feelings my comments may have caused, and I do compliment someone for the effort.

Remember Pale.....
He is in Texas.
They probably welded over the smooth welds for "extra strength"

JOKER96BRAVO said:
Remember Pale.....
He is in Texas.
They probably welded over the smooth welds for "extra strength"

:thup:

It's not there to look pretty. That grill passed the stomp and kick test. Nothings coming off of it by grabbing it and pulling. Along with my cohorts, we have estimated this to be 100% deer proof, and about 80% cow proof when it comes to protecting the Jeep.

They put a bounty on the coyotes around here a few years ago, and I think people got carried away. Now, nature is way out of balance, so there's more than enough skunks, rabbits, deer, and other animals to make road kill. Pretty bad when you have to put about 150 pounds of steel on front of your ride just to get back and forth to work.

Jimmyeatworld said:

It's not there to look pretty. That grill passed the stomp and kick test. Nothings coming off of it by grabbing it and pulling. Along with my cohorts, we have estimated this to be 100% deer proof, and about 80% cow proof when it comes to protecting the Jeep.

They put a bounty on the coyotes around here a few years ago, and I think people got carried away. Now, nature is way out of balance, so there's more than enough skunks, rabbits, deer, and other animals to make road kill. Pretty bad when you have to put about 150 pounds of steel on front of your ride just to get back and forth to work.
I know what you mean dude...
I'm from Oklahoma.
Cept we eat what we (road) kill there.

Jimmyeatworld said:

When I was back in Wisconsin a buddy of mine put something very similiar on the front of his truck, and for the same reason. He was sick of messing up his vehicles hitting deer.

I'd need something pretty damn sturdy on my truck for around here though. Around here I'd be more likely to hit an elk than a deer, or maybe a bear.

We have the MOOSE...You'd have to have a pretty tall grill for those sucker's. There very dangerous to hit because their so long legged, they unfortunely come right over your hood, and through your windsheild. Plus they can weight up to 1000lbs.. Lot's of damage to your car, and a lot of time's to the person driving.. Up here the road kill is donated to charity, if it's still edible.

Stephanie said:
We have the MOOSE...You'd have to have a pretty tall grill for those sucker's. There very dangerous to hit because their so long legged, they unfortunely come right over your hood, and through your windsheild. Plus they can weight up to 1000lbs.. Lot's of damage to your car, and a lot of time's to the person driving.. Up here the road kill is donated to charity, if it's still edible.

I'll see if I can find a picture of a car v. horse accident I was called on once. It was in fog and as we approached the car it appeared at first as if a pair of sneakers were sticking out of the front where the windsheild used to be. Those "sneakers" turned out to be the rear hooves of the horse which ended up entirely in the cab of the vehicle.

no1tovote4 said:
I'll see if I can find a picture of a car v. horse accident I was called on once. It was in fog and as we approached the car it appeared at first as if a pair of sneakers were sticking out of the front where the windsheild used to be. Those "sneakers" turned out to be the rear hooves of the horse which ended up entirely in the cab of the vehicle.

We all dread hitting a moose, but unfortunetly it happen's way to often. I'll tell ya if you see one on the side of the road ahead of you, your best bet, is to try to warn the other car's behind you, and then try to pull off the road and stop. For some reason, moose don't understand what that horn blarring at them is all about.... Moose are not the brightest animals in the animal kingdom.. But then again we have the TOURIST up here, who sometime's are just as dangerous as the moose, whereas when they see one, they have to swerve over to the shoulder, and try to stop to take a picture.... Our speed limit up here is 65 mph, so that dosen't help trying to stop for the poor animal or tourist... :rolleyes:

I like your grill, it make's your truck look big and bad, also.. I't will probably save you lots of damage to your truck, if you hit a deer.. :rock:

Stephanie said:
I like your grill, it make's your truck look big and bad, also.. I't will probably save you lots of damage to your truck, if you hit a deer.. :rock:

That's the plan. That Jeep was nothing but fiberglass and plastic in the front. Hit another deer like I did in the car, and it's most likely bye bye Jeep. But at least I only have to worry about deer. You and your moose and Pale Rider with his bear have it pretty bad.

Pale Rider said:
When I was back in Wisconsin a buddy of mine put something very similiar on the front of his truck, and for the same reason. He was sick of messing up his vehicles hitting deer.

I'd need something pretty damn sturdy on my truck for around here though. Around here I'd be more likely to hit an elk than a deer, or maybe a bear.

I'll tell you what, this crap gets expensive. At least I had full coverage insurance this time around. Last deer I hit I only had liability, and as you can imagine the deer wasn't covered.

Elk, and BEAR? Geez. I'm glad I only have to deal with Bambi.

Oh yeah. My cousin said those deer whistles looked more like sights now. Heheh.

Jimmyeatworld said:
I'll tell you what, this crap gets expensive. At least I had full coverage insurance this time around. Last deer I hit I only had liability, and as you can imagine the deer wasn't covered.

Elk, and BEAR? Geez. I'm glad I only have to deal with Bambi.

Oh yeah. My cousin said those deer whistles looked more like sights now. Heheh.

I never did figure out if they worked?? :D I know they would'nt work on a moose, as I said the poor moose are kinda, TALL, DARK AND....dumb.... :happy2:

Forum List

Back