My QB top 8 of all time

What to look for in determining the best quarterback of all time. There are all kinds of things to look at, but I believe these to be the most important.

1) Wins. How many do you have? I figure 100 or better. There are only 11 QB's with 100+ wins, and one QB with less than 100 wins but 3-0 in the Superbowl, i.e. Aikman.

2) Super Bowl appearances / wins. How many times have you gotten your team to the big one, and when you got there did you win? There are only several QB's with 4 and 5 Super bowl appearnces. Montana and Bradshaw are 4-0, Elway 2-3, Tarkenton 0-4, Kelly 0-4.

3) Stats. How good were you mechanically?

Looking at this I would have to list them like this.
1) Montana (4-0 SB) (100+ wins) (more wins) (better stats)
2) Bradshaw (4-0 SB) (100+ wins)
3) Elway (2-3 SB) (100+wins)
4) Brady (3-1 SB) (100+ wins)
5) Kelly (0-4 SB) (100+ wins) (more wins) (better stats)
6) Tarkenton (0-4 SB) (100+ wins)
7) Aikman (3-0 SB) (less than 100 wins)
8) Griese (2-1 SB) (less than 100 wins)

I don't know if I"d put Bradshaw in there--definitely not Griese. More importantly, I think if you were to ask Terry, he would probably not put himself anywhere in that mix; much less #2.

Quality QB, not a slouch as a broadcaster, good ambassador for the sport but not in the top 3 QB of all time; Top 20...sure.

What to look for in determining the best quarterback of all time. There are all kinds of things to look at, but I believe these to be the most important.

1) Wins. How many do you have? I figure 100 or better. There are only 11 QB's with 100+ wins, and one QB with less than 100 wins but 3-0 in the Superbowl, i.e. Aikman.

2) Super Bowl appearances / wins. How many times have you gotten your team to the big one, and when you got there did you win? There are only several QB's with 4 and 5 Super bowl appearnces. Montana and Bradshaw are 4-0, Elway 2-3, Tarkenton 0-4, Kelly 0-4.

Tarkenton was only in 3 SB's....

you on crack? no Staubach ?

Staubach was better than Griese and Tarkenton

griese yes, fran the scram? no.

Tarkenton was only in 3 SB's....

Thanks for the correction, that definately drops him down below Griese. I believe Bradshaw to be a very modest individual, and willing to be the butt of many a joke. His circumstances were great, but I say lesser quarterback may get one given the same circumstances i.e. Ravens, and Buc's. A good QB gets 2, a great QB gets 3, but legendary QB's get 4 wins like Montana. Elway got 5 but lost his first 3 giving him a losing record. Bradshaw not only deserves his #2, but he earned it, and sacrificed his body for it.

One guy that was sort of an unknown that I believe should get notice.
Brett Favre.

Way too many interceptions (336). I think he literally had a cannon for an arm and found himself with the right coach at the right time.

The interceptions definitely cast shadows on his greatness, but when you can throw three or four interceptions in a game and still manage to pull out a victory as often as it seemed he could do it, then the shadow dims.

Immie

One guy that was sort of an unknown that I believe should get notice.
Brett Favre.

Way too many interceptions (336). I think he literally had a cannon for an arm and found himself with the right coach at the right time.

Yes, when you make an omelette you are going to break some eggs.
72,000 yards passing on 10,000 attempts you are going to have a lot of interceptions.
That is 45 miles passing.
62% completion ratio
17 seasons with over 3000 yards
508 TD passes and the iron man streak he had.
Top 10 in my book.

I've been lobbying for Stabler as one of the best QBs of all time for years - has fallen on deaf ears..................

Belongs in the HOF

I've been lobbying for Stabler as one of the best QBs of all time for years - has fallen on deaf ears..................

Belongs in the HOF

One of my favorite QBs of that era. Madden was great to play for and that was a loosey goosey team.
Threw more interceptions, 222, than TDs-194. Threw 18 or more interceptions in half the years he played, 30 in one year.
28,000 yards in a 15 year career makes not a HOFer.
But I also loved the guy.

Belongs in the HOF

One of my favorite QBs of that era. Madden was great to play for and that was a loosey goosey team.
Threw more interceptions, 222, than TDs-194. Threw 18 or more interceptions in half the years he played, 30 in one year.

Namath threw for more intercepts than TDs also.................................

Belongs in the HOF

Namath got in for winning one game. And that game was won by his Defense

Belongs in the HOF

Shouldn't be in the Hall either. One game got him in and I believe he threw for 4000 yards that year or some year early in his career.
Didn't Joe Willie throw over 100 picks his first 5 years? Good point you make!
But we are talking about Snake.

I look at Stabler like Dan Pastorini. Very good QB.....just not HOF

I hate Filthydelphia but saw Randall Cunningham play many times over his career.
16 seasons with 207 TDs, 134 ints, 30K passing yards, 5K rushing at 5ypc and 35 TDs rushing.
PLayed for some shitty teams in his career also with lots of injuries.
Not HOF material but he was a real talent. He also punted many times from the shotgun, very effective.
Throw in Steve Young also in this mix. I put him in top 15.
I have always hated QBs but interesting thread.

No freaking comparison between Stabler and Pastorini

For one - Stabler won a Super Bowl - TOTALLY OUTPLAYED FRAN TARKENTON

But for few bounces could have been the Raiders with 3 SB wins and the Stteelers 1

And Stabler was a winne rin college also ...............

But for few bounces could have been the Raiders with 3 SB wins and the Stteelers 1

Now I love Snake but it wasn't him that did a lot that game.
Raiders ran for 270 yards!
How is that outplaying Tarkenton?
12 completions??
Come on.

I hate Filthydelphia but saw Randall Cunningham play many times over his career.
16 seasons with 207 TDs, 134 ints, 30K passing yards, 5K rushing at 5ypc and 35 TDs rushing.
Not HOF material but he was a real talent. He also punted many times from the shotgun, very effective.

Cunningham made the best punt I ever saw in a game against the Giants. Tight game with little scoring and the Giants pin Philly down at the one. Randall is at the back of the end zone and the Giants are looking block or great field position
He boomed it over the returners head and it rolled and rolled and pinned the Giants inside the 20. Giants were in shock and the Philly defense got two quick sacks. Turned the game and Philly blew them out

Now I love Snake but it wasn't him that did a lot that game.
Raiders ran for 270 yards!
How is that outplaying Tarkenton?
12 completions??
Come on.

How aboutthe Snakes desparate s pass to Clarence Davis in the Oakland -Miami playoff game in 1973????

And he ran fortheTD before theImmaculate Reception.

Cunningham made the best punt I ever saw in a game against the Giants. Tight game with little scoring and the Giants pin Philly down at the one. Randall is at the back of the end zone and the Giants are looking block or great field position
He boomed it over the returners head and it rolled and rolled and pinned the Giants inside the 20. Giants were in shock and the Philly defense got two quick sacks. Turned the game and Philly blew them out

Bernard Wilson was a DB at Vandy in the mid 70s and he had the speed and could also come with the wood. Eagles drafted him after his last year as he graduated in '78. He was on the Eagles the last years of his career, he actually also played 8 games his last year here for Falcons, and he has often spoke of Randall.
Tough city in Philthy to play much less being a black QB. Buddy came in and did a great job coaching him. He was a player. Over rated at times and seriously under rated most of his career.

Forum List

Back