My QB top 8 of all time

spectrumc01

I give you....the TRUTH
Feb 9, 2011
The United States
What to look for in determining the best quarterback of all time. There are all kinds of things to look at, but I believe these to be the most important.

1) Wins. How many do you have? I figure 100 or better. There are only 11 QB's with 100+ wins, and one QB with less than 100 wins but 3-0 in the Superbowl, i.e. Aikman.

2) Super Bowl appearances / wins. How many times have you gotten your team to the big one, and when you got there did you win? There are only several QB's with 4 and 5 Super bowl appearnces. Montana and Bradshaw are 4-0, Elway 2-3, Tarkenton 0-4, Kelly 0-4.

3) Stats. How good were you mechanically?

Looking at this I would have to list them like this.
1) Montana (4-0 SB) (100+ wins) (more wins) (better stats)
2) Bradshaw (4-0 SB) (100+ wins)
3) Elway (2-3 SB) (100+wins)
4) Brady (3-1 SB) (100+ wins)
5) Kelly (0-4 SB) (100+ wins) (more wins) (better stats)
6) Tarkenton (0-4 SB) (100+ wins)
7) Aikman (3-0 SB) (less than 100 wins)
8) Griese (2-1 SB) (less than 100 wins)

What to look for in determining the best quarterback of all time. There are all kinds of things to look at, but I believe these to be the most important.

1) Wins. How many do you have? I figure 100 or better. There are only 11 QB's with 100+ wins, and one QB with less than 100 wins but 3-0 in the Superbowl, i.e. Aikman.

2) Super Bowl appearances / wins. How many times have you gotten your team to the big one, and when you got there did you win? There are only several QB's with 4 and 5 Super bowl appearnces. Montana and Bradshaw are 4-0, Elway 2-3, Tarkenton 0-4, Kelly 0-4.

Looking at that list, I would say it seems pretty good, but then it also seems very much slanted to the modern era. I can't help but think that QB's like Y.A. Tittle, Joe Namath, Norm Van Brocklin, Len Dawson, Bart Starr and others should be considered in there as well. Hard to rate QB's on Super Bowl wins and winning percentage as much of their success depends on the team as well.

All in all, I think each one in your list deserve to be considered, but then there are many more that also deserve to be there as well. I mean, where is Johnny U? Michael Vick?

Immie

Montana
Brady
Manning
Elway
Unit as
Graham
Marino
Bradshaw

Looking at that list, I would say it seems pretty good, but then it also seems very much slanted to the modern era. I can't help but think that QB's like Y.A. Tittle, Joe Namath, Norm Van Brocklin, Len Dawson, Bart Starr and others should be considered in there as well. Hard to rate QB's on Super Bowl wins and winning percentage as much of their success depends on the team as well.

All in all, I think each one in your list deserve to be considered, but then there are many more that also deserve to be there as well. I mean, where is Johnny U? Michael Vick?

Immie

Check this out
http://wiki.ask.com/Most_wins_by_a_starting_quarterback_(NFL)

Immie

Check this out
http://wiki.ask.com/Most_wins_by_a_starting_quarterback_(NFL)

FYI: link didn't work. I had to click on a second link provided by Wiki. I think I got the one you meant.

Winning percentage is of course important, but there are so many other factors that play into what makes a great QB. Also, the era that they played in. Passing has become the tool of the NFL team, but that was not always so.

Jeez, I can't believe neither one of us mentioned Peyton Manning! That is not going to please EZ when she gets to this thread! :lol: Actually, for the ability to "lead" the team, Manning would have to be considered.

Edit: Whoops, I went back and looked at RW's post. He put Manning in third. A little high for me, but definitely he is in the running.

Immie

Last edited:
Manning does get consideration as a QB with over a hundred wins and a 1-1 superbowl record. Statistically he is one of the greats, a real student of the game. Is he a Hall of Fame QB absolutely. But that wasn't the question we asked ourselves, we want to know the greatest of all time, and we already agree the all of these QB's are in or going to be in the Hall of Fame. I can't believe I forgot to see where Rothlesburger fits, I believe he also has three SB appearances?

I still believe winning to be the biggest factor, Marino put up staggering numbers in his time, but as a SB winner? sorry. As for Y.A. Title and those guys, I'm sorry to say us younger generation don't get the opportunity to watch them much, all we get are highlights. Maybe the NFL channel should start replaying them.

Getting one hundred wins encompasses alot. 1) The question of system is answered as your team mates change along with coaching over the period of time it would take to accumulate one hundred wins. 2) The durability question is answered because the amount of games needed to play to get one hundred wins. 3) The question of weather the old timers get equal value still comes with the fact that wins is not related to stats.

Manning does get consideration as a QB with over a hundred wins and a 1-1 superbowl record. Statistically he is one of the greats, a real student of the game. Is he a Hall of Fame QB absolutely. But that wasn't the question we asked ourselves, we want to know the greatest of all time, and we already agree the all of these QB's are in or going to be in the Hall of Fame. I can't believe I forgot to see where Rothlesburger fits, I believe he also has three SB appearances?

I still believe winning to be the biggest factor, Marino put up staggering numbers in his time, but as a SB winner? sorry. As for Y.A. Title and those guys, I'm sorry to say us younger generation don't get the opportunity to watch them much, all we get are highlights. Maybe the NFL channel should start replaying them.

Getting one hundred wins encompasses alot. 1) The question of system is answered as your team mates change along with coaching over the period of time it would take to accumulate one hundred wins. 2) The durability question is answered because the amount of games needed to play to get one hundred wins. 3) The question of weather the old timers get equal value still comes with the fact that wins is not related to stats.

Hehe

To be honest, I had to think back way back on those names and in fact I went to this site to look for others:

The Top 100 Quarterbacks In NFL History | Bleacher Report

As a 49er fan, Y.A. Tittle was one that I did think about.

Immie

One guy that was sort of an unknown that I believe should get notice.
Brett Favre.

No kidding.

I was never a fan of his. I always wanted his opponents to wipe that damned smile off his face, but Favre has to be mentioned among the top QBs of all time.

Immie

When evaluating individual players in a team game you must consider the teams they were on. I believe superbowl record unfairly favors quarterbacks who played on excellent teams.

More telling would be if Manning was traded to the Bills how good would he and Buffalo be the next year!

Quarterbacks like Warner Tarkenton and Montana who raised other teams around them get plusses from me there. Greise was good ajd is generally under rated but in 72 Earl Morral(an under rated QB himself) won half their games. That was a solid system both were in.

Bradshaw...how mane hall of famers around him?

Montana?

Marino? Now there is a boy who kept his team respectable throwing to who? Too bad he didnt have a roger craig instead of sammy smith in the backfield.

Somewhat the same for Elway. Steve Watson ranks where on the all time receiver list?

Damn I didnt know Stabler won all them games.

Favre is under rated somehow.

Bart Star. Len Dawson I hav much respect for also.

Dagnamit! We're talking about the good ole days of football and here we are staring at the possibility that the up and coming season will be canceled.

Not going to be an enjoyable fall if that happens.

Immie

Dagnamit! We're talking about the good ole days of football and here we are staring at the possibility that the up and coming season will be canceled.

Immie

They'll work it out; too much money to be made. Some of the owners are not exactly printing money in their other businesses right now.

you on crack? no Staubach ?

Staubach was better than Griese and Tarkenton

at least. but I'm a Cowboy Fan.

Immie

They'll work it out; too much money to be made. Some of the owners are not exactly printing money in their other businesses right now.

I suspect you are right. However, the prior MLB strike and the year that the NFL used replacement players concern me somewhat.

at least. but I'm a Cowboy Fan.

You are a Cowturd fan? I knew there was something I didn't like about you! :lol:

Staubach definitely deserves to be in the running. Note: I liked (but was not a "fan") the Cowboys during Staubach's years. It was not until Jerry Jones came along that I became a Cowboy hater.

Immie

Farve is great and he'll be in the hall of fame no doubt, as is staubach, starr, and Dawson. They were all great quarterbacks, but they either didn't get 100 wins or over three Superbowl appearances.

100 wins = going undefeated for 6.25 straight seasons of 16 games.

100 wins = going undefeated for 7.14 straight seasons of 14 games.

On the average, I believe you must start for 10 seasons and have at least 10 wins in each of those seasons. This is almost impossible to do, and is why only eleven quarterbacks in history have accomplished it. To get to the Superbowl is every players dream and over 80% of the players never achieve it, so to lead your team there three times is amazing and that is why only eight people in history have ever done it. This is why I believe that those two stats are the most important.

Forum List

Back