My pup is hurting :(

The equipment looks awesome. I have a 14 year old Akita who is suffering from the same thing. I have read through this post and it appears to have made a big difference. I will look into it immediately. I hope all is well.

For Cowboy, we got "Walkin' Wheels" to help him be more mobile - he's not paralized, but there is enough damage that the act of trying to bend his knees and get around can be exausting and set off more inflammation in his back so we use the wheels when we go on walks outside - he keeps his feet down, and still walks with his back end but his weight is supported. He is not the kind of dog who is willing to slow down, think about how to move - if he can't move when he wants to he bulldozes through with the occassional skid and faceplant, so the wheels have really helped. We got a harness from "Hartman's Harness" (his PT loaned it to us indefinately) - it's lightweight, fully adjustable and has a handle on the rear and a clip on top of the shoulders for a leash - I can get him down the stairs with it (I carry him upstairs), plus we have booties on his hind feet for traction indoors. Just that much more mobility and security of footing made all the difference between a quality life and a non-quality life, for him :)

I tried grips that go around the nails for traction. They seem to irritate her. "Chani" sounds very similar as far as demeanor. She still has the mind of a your girl on the run, Her body on the other hand has continuously went down hill. I want to help her as long as she has a zest for life. The pain meds help but it does hurt to see her legs lock up.

I tried grips that go around the nails for traction. They seem to irritate her. "Chani" sounds very similar as far as demeanor. She still has the mind of a your girl on the run, Her body on the other hand has continuously went down hill. I want to help her as long as she has a zest for life. The pain meds help but it does hurt to see her legs lock up.

I don't think the toe nail things do much for traction, what I use for Cowboy are these (indoor slippers) - Products - Tammy and Teddy's Foot or Paw Protection for Animals - the version I have is older, but probably works the same and fastens with velcro. It's the pawpads and hair that make it slippery for him. The other type that we've used are these Pawz Dog Boots | PAWZ the natural rubber dog boots and they've been good also. We take them off at night or going outside.

What is she on for pain? Does she have spinal cord damage? I am very very lucky that I found a good physical therapist - we've found the right equiipment, the right level of meds plus he gets laser therapy which helps him. I know every day is a blessing and I'm grateful.

Cowboy is an Aussie, but I admit - I have soft spot for Akitas too. I adopted a two years ago an Akita mix Rosalee (a very different dog than Cowboy) - this is her :)

RosaleeandGeorge_zps7a330eab.jpg

Forum List

Back