My proposal for dealing with drug crimes.

My proposal for dealing with drug crimes.

It’s time for the US to abandon criminal charges for personal drug use and possession. Imprisoning people for the possession and/or use of drugs is a failed policy of the US and is doing nothing to curb the use of drugs. It’s time to decriminalize drug use. Now, this is not to say that we should legalize drugs. I am still in favor of keeping drugs illegal and against the law. I just think we should treat the “crime” of drugs in an entirely different manner than as a criminal offense subject to jail or prison sentences.

Let’s treat the possession and use of illegal drugs as an infraction of law, similar to a minor traffic violation. You get caught with illegal drugs; you get a ticket and a fine. No courts, no jail. Possession in the amount of 14 days personal usage or less could be a simple fine of say $200. No different than a speeding infraction. Just as one can get a speeding ticket and can simply mail their fine to the court, so let it be with a minor drug possession infraction.

Possession of more than 14 days personal usage could be considered “intent to distribute” and subject to court proceedings. So, yes, drug dealing would still be considered a criminal act and subject to the current laws against such activity.

I suppose one of the first questions one would ask is, “What amount of marijuana-cocaine-heroin-other illegal drug is “14 days personal usage”? I’ll be honest; I don’t know the answer to that question. But, I’ll bet some smart doctors can determine what that amount might be based upon what a typical user of illegal drugs typically consumes. I wouldn’t even be opposed to setting that 14 day amount at a high enough level to accommodate heavy users of the drug in question.

Lets use our prisons and jails for incarcerating criminals that have victims, not for incarcerating people that are harming nobody but themselves.

Please note, the intent of this post is not to argue the legality or illegality of drug use, but rather as a proposal of an alternative method to deal with current drug enforcement law.

Possession is less illegal, but sales is still illegal.

That won't work. And who defines your 14 day supply? I know hardcore addicts who can go through a normal users 14 day supply a lot quicker than 14 days.

Forum List

Back