My proposal for dealing with drug crimes.

alan1

Gold Member
Dec 13, 2008
Shoveling the ashes

It’s time for the US to abandon criminal charges for personal drug use and possession. Imprisoning people for the possession and/or use of drugs is a failed policy of the US and is doing nothing to curb the use of drugs. It’s time to decriminalize drug use. Now, this is not to say that we should legalize drugs. I am still in favor of keeping drugs illegal and against the law. I just think we should treat the “crime” of drugs in an entirely different manner than as a criminal offense subject to jail or prison sentences.

Let’s treat the possession and use of illegal drugs as an infraction of law, similar to a minor traffic violation. You get caught with illegal drugs; you get a ticket and a fine. No courts, no jail. Possession in the amount of 14 days personal usage or less could be a simple fine of say $200. No different than a speeding infraction. Just as one can get a speeding ticket and can simply mail their fine to the court, so let it be with a minor drug possession infraction.

Possession of more than 14 days personal usage could be considered “intent to distribute” and subject to court proceedings. So, yes, drug dealing would still be considered a criminal act and subject to the current laws against such activity.

I suppose one of the first questions one would ask is, “What amount of marijuana-cocaine-heroin-other illegal drug is “14 days personal usage”? I’ll be honest; I don’t know the answer to that question. But, I’ll bet some smart doctors can determine what that amount might be based upon what a typical user of illegal drugs typically consumes. I wouldn’t even be opposed to setting that 14 day amount at a high enough level to accommodate heavy users of the drug in question.

Lets use our prisons and jails for incarcerating criminals that have victims, not for incarcerating people that are harming nobody but themselves.

Please note, the intent of this post is not to argue the legality or illegality of drug use, but rather as a proposal of an alternative method to deal with current drug enforcement law.

It’s time for the US to abandon criminal charges for personal drug use and possession. Imprisoning people for the possession and/or use of drugs is a failed policy of the US and is doing nothing to curb the use of drugs. It’s time to decriminalize drug use. Now, this is not to say that we should legalize drugs. I am still in favor of keeping drugs illegal and against the law. I just think we should treat the “crime” of drugs in an entirely different manner than as a criminal offense subject to jail or prison sentences.

Let’s treat the possession and use of illegal drugs as an infraction of law, similar to a minor traffic violation. You get caught with illegal drugs; you get a ticket and a fine. No courts, no jail. Possession in the amount of 14 days personal usage or less could be a simple fine of say $200. No different than a speeding infraction. Just as one can get a speeding ticket and can simply mail their fine to the court, so let it be with a minor drug possession infraction.

Possession of more than 14 days personal usage could be considered “intent to distribute” and subject to court proceedings. So, yes, drug dealing would still be considered a criminal act and subject to the current laws against such activity.

I suppose one of the first questions one would ask is, “What amount of marijuana-cocaine-heroin-other illegal drug is “14 days personal usage”? I’ll be honest; I don’t know the answer to that question. But, I’ll bet some smart doctors can determine what that amount might be based upon what a typical user of illegal drugs typically consumes. I wouldn’t even be opposed to setting that 14 day amount at a high enough level to accommodate heavy users of the drug in question.

Lets use our prisons and jails for incarcerating criminals that have victims, not for incarcerating people that are harming nobody but themselves.

Please note, the intent of this post is not to argue the legality or illegality of drug use, but rather as a proposal of an alternative method to deal with current drug enforcement law.

All that does is arguably increase demand while still outlawing supply. It doesn't solve the problem of drug crime, the huge profits illegality makes and the corruption on all levels that go with it, the danger of alterated or impure supply, having to buy "legal" drugs from criminals, pushers, drug funded gangs, turf wars, and all the other ills that prohibition has wrought. If anything it excerbates it.

All that does is arguably increase demand while still outlawing supply. It doesn't solve the problem of drug crime, the huge profits illegality makes and the corruption on all levels that go with it, the danger of alterated or impure supply, having to buy "legal" drugs from criminals, pushers, drug funded gangs, turf wars, and all the other ills that prohibition has wrought. If anything it excerbates it.

How would that increase demand?
As for the supply, and everything else you listed, those things already exist. And they all have potential victims. Personal drug use is a a victimless crime and jailing people for it solves nothing.

What is the total cost of drug use/addiction to the USA taxpayer? Make it a misdemeanor if you want...but attach a mandatory minimum fine of $10000.....you want to be stupid....pay for it.

What is the total cost of drug use/addiction to the USA taxpayer? Make it a misdemeanor if you want...but attach a mandatory minimum fine of $10000.....you want to be stupid....pay for it.

Somehow, I think that would just result in a lot of uncollected fines.
Maybe I'm naive, but I'm guessing that most illegal drug users can't afford $10k penalties.

As for the supply, and everything else you listed, those things already exist. And they all have potential victims. Personal drug use is a a victimless crime and jailing people for it solves nothing.

Speculation that eliminating illegality of possession and use would result in some increase in demand.

The fact that all those things exists, and would likely be only made worse if you legalize consumption, is a good reason to repeal prohibition altogether, IMO.

Speculation that eliminating illegality of possession and use would result in some increase in demand.

The fact that all those things exists, and would likely be only made worse if you legalize consumption, is a good reason to repeal prohibition altogether, IMO.
My proposal doesn't call for eliminating the illegality of use and possession, just a different method for dealing with it. I don't think it would change much in the way of peoples behavior.

My proposal doesn't call for eliminating the illegality of use and possession, just a different method for dealing with it. I don't think it would change much in the way of peoples behavior.

IMO if you abandon criminal charges for personal drug use and possession and make it akin to a traffic ticket, more people are going to use it. I think that the fact that marajuana is a schedule I narcotic inhibits some people from using it to some extent. But it's just my speculation, how could you prove it?

IMO if you abandon criminal charges for personal drug use and possession and make it akin to a traffic ticket, more people are going to use it. I think that the fact that marajuana is a schedule I narcotic inhibits some people from using it to some extent. But it's just my speculation, how could you prove it?

This article might prove something for you,
New Study: ‘Drug Decriminalization in Portugal’ (Cato @ Liberty)
snip,
In a new study, constitutional lawyer and Salon.com writer Glenn Greenwald examines the Portuguese model and the data concerning drug-related trends in Portugal, and argues that, “judged by virtually every metric, the Portuguese decriminalization framework has been a resounding success.”

This article might prove something for you,
New Study: ‘Drug Decriminalization in Portugal’ (Cato @ Liberty)
snip,
In a new study, constitutional lawyer and Salon.com writer Glenn Greenwald examines the Portuguese model and the data concerning drug-related trends in Portugal, and argues that, “judged by virtually every metric, the Portuguese decriminalization framework has been a resounding success.”

Don't get me wrong; I have no problem with legalization of possession and usage. IMO it's stupid to use the criminal system for drug usage.

I just think it doesn't make sense to criminalize suppliers.

I think it's time to re-criminalize alcohol in every form and legalize pot so you alcoholics can stop being so goddamn ironic about your selective prohibition.

I don't support legalizing drugs, but, putting people in Prison is really expensive. I suggest decriminaling drugs, maybe legallizing marijuana. Institute Drug Courts. Go to treatment or got to jail. Make treatment available on demand. Hold people accountable for crimes committed under the influence of drugs or crimes committed to obtain money for drugs (or the drugs themselves). You get busted burglarizing a house, no excuses (oh gosh I am a drug addict), bam into jail. Treatment should be available in jail. Studies actually show some positive results using Omega 3's (fish Oil) and cutting the use of Omega 6's (Cotton Seed oil) in curbing drug addiction.

"Every man has a property in his own person. This nobody has a right to, but himself." - John Locke

If we hold this to be true, and it is true for anyone who truly believes in liberty, then why do we think it ok for the government to assume the power to tell us what we may or may not do with our own bodies? Smoking a joint or shooting heroin has no effect on anybody but the person who chooses to do it. Not to mention it's unconstitutional for the government to make any law regulating drug use.

Your proposal would be an improvement in my opinion, MountainMain, but I think if you look at the issue from the standpoint of personal liberty and what the government is authorized to do by the Constitution you'll realize that all drugs ought to be legalized completely.

Prohibition of alcohol failed to such an extend that the United States Constitution was amended so as to re-admit the consumption of alcohol.

A few things need to change about the drug laws.

Those who do not learn from history are destined to repeat it. So it is with the United States of America when it comes to the criminalization of drugs.

"Criminalization of drugs" means EXACTLY the same thing as prohibition. Remember prohibition? As Dr. Phil would say, "How'd that one work for ya?"

Forum List

Back