My problem with the NFL re: National Anthem

Where does the NFL rule book say that fans at home stand when the national anthem is played on TV?

My local radio station plays it at 6am every day. Am I supposed to stop on the interstate, get out of my car, and stand at attention with my hand over my heart?
Then don't complain when others don't either.

Please show me anywhere that is a requirement in the privacy of your own home.

When traveling on Army posts, I have to do this very thing, and some of those are just bugle calls!
Please show me the punishment all those players got when they knelt last sunday. None you say? Then it's not a requirement.

So no actual punishment from the NFL. Got it.

Yep and there won't be from the NFL (National Felon League) They are now turning it all about Trump. I would really like to think that the protestors knew the point they are trying to make, but I believe most don't know.

I am calling out those who see some sense in the "protest."

1. What is the protest all about? Is it about Trump? Is it about police shootings is it about somehow these millionaires have been put upon by society?

2. What is the objective of the protest? To destroy the NFL? To make America look like fools in the eyes of the world? To just piss off more white people? To make liberals think they are relevant even though they keep on losing?

3. What does police shootings, even if the officer was a rouge racist cop, have to do with the anthem, the flag or respect for those who did what none of those protesting did by serving their country?

The protest is about the fact that even though these guys are millionaires, they still live in a country where they can be murdered by the government because of their skin color.

The objective is to call attention to this fact. The very fact that Trump decided to screech about it, causing the whole league to react to him, tells me they've done pretty well at that.

As someone who has served this country, I fully support the right of these players to protest what they see as an injustice. Good on them. It would be just as easy for them to collect their millions and say nothing.

I don't care what the President SAID about it; you have not come up with any facts regarding Police murdering Blacks. Put up, please. The police in question were acquitted by Courts of Law. Didn't lynching, (a very DemoKKKrat thing), go out in the 70s? Don't you need EVIDENCE now to get a conviction?

Greg

Per the NFL rulebook:

1. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country.
Why do you not respect the flag or our country. Our country is the people. There are other ways to show your discontent with the President. People take not standing up for the flag as an insult on the United States as a unit. It makes people feel that you don't want to be here or don't like the unit as a whole (not just the administration) - and there are a lot of people that worked hard to build the US that are still alive today. There are a lot of people young and old that have risked their lives for the United States.
What do NFL players know that we don't, if NFL players are, "taking a safety for the pledge".

Per the NFL rulebook:

1. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country.
Why do you not respect the flag or our country. Our country is the people. There are other ways to show your discontent with the President. People take not standing up for the flag as an insult on the United States as a unit. It makes people feel that you don't want to be here or don't like the unit as a whole (not just the administration) - and there are a lot of people that worked hard to build the US that are still alive today. There are a lot of people young and old that have risked their lives for the United States.
How is kneeling during the pledge, "a lack of respect"?

If they're not Catholics then it IS disrespectful.

Greg

Per the NFL rulebook:

You really don't get what the counter protest is all about, you want what you want and that is all you see.

1. What is the protest all about? Is it about Trump? Is it about police shootings is it about somehow these millionaires have been put upon by society?

2. What is the objective of the protest? To destroy the NFL? To make America look like fools in the eyes of the world? To just piss off more white people? To make liberals think they are relevant even though they keep on losing?

3. What does police shootings, even if the officer was a rouge racist cop, have to do with the anthem, the flag or respect for those who did what none of those protesting did by serving their country?

How is it that you are agitated by something you admit you have no understanding of?
Because things that make absolutely no sense agitates me. And I don't like being dictated to by people like you and multi-millionaires like the players.

It does make sense. You just would rather be pissed off and complain rather than attempt to understand. No one is dictating anything to you. You alone are responsible for how you feel.

How is it that you are agitated by something you admit you have no understanding of?
Because things that make absolutely no sense agitates me. And I don't like being dictated to by people like you and multi-millionaires like the players.

It does make sense. You just would rather be pissed off and complain rather than attempt to understand. No one is dictating anything to you. You alone are responsible for how you feel.
What is it I am trying to understand?

Do you really believe that police officers target blacks just because they are black? That they randomly seek out blacks to kill? Really? If you do then you do so ignoring crime statistics. The whole protest is ridicules. Especially when started by a millionaire who was raised by white parents. That is the greatest hypocrisy of all.

Yourself by saying that President Trump was out of line to have his say.

Greg

Hmmm. First, I've never said he should not have his say. You might be confused.

I think what he has said is wrongheaded and divisive. He's doing the opposite of what a leader should do.

There is some debate about whether or not his demanding that people be fired violates some statute. But I've not spoken on that one way or the other.

Not at all. He has stated that showing disrespect to the Anthem publicly is WRONG. I agree with him. I have severe reservations about our own insipid Anthem but it is what it is; no way would I disrespect it. It is disgusting of Kapo and Co to be doing this.

Greg

You simply do not understand. I'm not going to allow the discussion to be about respect for a flag or an anthem. It is about racial injustice and patriotic Americans who want to make sure this nation lives up to its promise.

The method is silence while the anthem is played in order to bring attention to a fault in our society. It's perfectly American and patriotic.

The end.

You have only half the say in where the discussion leads. If you wish to leave the field then that is up to you. The matter is all about the Anthem AND Flag. They are being USED to bring attention to an unrelated matter and that unrelated matter has zero cred. Perhaps they should find a more direct manner in addressing the situation that many Americans find themselves in wrt crime and poverty. I find their actions illogical, inflammatory and quite stupid.

Greg
No one wants to see innocent men and women shot, no one. That is what is so agitating about the protest. It is as if they are saying that someone condons the shooting of innocent people, NO ONE DOES. But we have courts, we have laws and the cops go through the courts and for the most part have been found innocent.

What I think they should protest, is the black on black crime which the protest has done nothing about.

I think they should protest the black illiteracy rate.

I think they should protest black and white, drug dealers who are killing their kids and neighborhoods.

But all that is hard, it is easy to blame Whitey

No one except you has ever said anything about "whitey". That is your own choice to view it in such a divisive way. That says more about your attitudes than theirs.

So what is the desired outcome of the protest?

Change the ROE so that a cop must first be shot by a black drug dealer before he uses his weapon. Or is the outcome that all police will now be black?

Per the NFL rulebook:

It's a non-issue. These are silent protests that hurt no one. It's only meant to bring attention to social inequities. No one is being attacked, there is nothing destructive in doing so.

This below is what destructive, devisive behavior and disrespect looks like.

View attachment 151215
So you now are deciding what is the right protest and what isn't. Thank you, what is the name for your service? The censorship board?

No, I pointed to a difference between a silent, respectful and peaceful protest and one that is most decidedly not.
It is not respectful that is why there is a bitch. Wow you folks just want what you want.

In your opinion.
It's not disrespectful to quietly abstain.

Per the NFL rulebook:

If they're not Catholics then it IS disrespectful.

Greg
Only Catholics kneel for special occasions?

Hmmm. First, I've never said he should not have his say. You might be confused.

I think what he has said is wrongheaded and divisive. He's doing the opposite of what a leader should do.

There is some debate about whether or not his demanding that people be fired violates some statute. But I've not spoken on that one way or the other.

Not at all. He has stated that showing disrespect to the Anthem publicly is WRONG. I agree with him. I have severe reservations about our own insipid Anthem but it is what it is; no way would I disrespect it. It is disgusting of Kapo and Co to be doing this.

Greg

You simply do not understand. I'm not going to allow the discussion to be about respect for a flag or an anthem. It is about racial injustice and patriotic Americans who want to make sure this nation lives up to its promise.

The method is silence while the anthem is played in order to bring attention to a fault in our society. It's perfectly American and patriotic.

The end.

You have only half the say in where the discussion leads. If you wish to leave the field then that is up to you. The matter is all about the Anthem AND Flag. They are being USED to bring attention to an unrelated matter and that unrelated matter has zero cred. Perhaps they should find a more direct manner in addressing the situation that many Americans find themselves in wrt crime and poverty. I find their actions illogical, inflammatory and quite stupid.

Greg
No one wants to see innocent men and women shot, no one. That is what is so agitating about the protest. It is as if they are saying that someone condons the shooting of innocent people, NO ONE DOES. But we have courts, we have laws and the cops go through the courts and for the most part have been found innocent.

What I think they should protest, is the black on black crime which the protest has done nothing about.

I think they should protest the black illiteracy rate.

I think they should protest black and white, drug dealers who are killing their kids and neighborhoods.

But all that is hard, it is easy to blame Whitey

No one except you has ever said anything about "whitey". That is your own choice to view it in such a divisive way. That says more about your attitudes than theirs.
What in the f.. are they protesting? Hell apparently you don't even know.

I'm usually not watching the game when it's being played, but, no, I would not you are correct. But when I am at the events I always do (and I also sing along, which I'm sure is QUITE offensive to those around me!)
So you're a hypocrite. Now you know.

Where does the NFL rule book say that fans at home stand when the national anthem is played on TV?

My local radio station plays it at 6am every day. Am I supposed to stop on the interstate, get out of my car, and stand at attention with my hand over my heart?

When traveling on Army posts, I have to do this very thing, and some of those are just bugle calls!
Please show me the punishment all those players got when they knelt last sunday. None you say? Then it's not a requirement.

They should be warned as Jerry Jones did his players and then cut from the roster. If I protested at work that would happen to me in a heartbeat.

So no actual punishment from the NFL. Got it.

Yep and there won't be from the NFL (National Felon League) They are now turning it all about Trump. I would really like to think that the protestors knew the point they are trying to make, but I believe most don't know.

Trump put himself in that position. Do you types ever stop being victims?

The only reason why anyone gives two shits about these guys is because they play good football. Now play football and shut the hell up.

So playing football means they aren't entitled to an opinion.

Hey, it would be just as easy in life to just collect the money and say nothing. That's how evil usually succeeds... Good people say nothing.

These guys are willing to stand up and say something. Not hid behind a fake name on the internet and spout off, but actually say, "This is who I am and this is where i stand."

Per the NFL rulebook:

You really don't get what the counter protest is all about, you want what you want and that is all you see.
did you know, that diversion is usually considered a fallacy?

So the Pittsburgh Steelers, especially their coach, wanted to show support for a player's right to kneel, stand, or whatever by encouraging and pressuring all of their team members to boycott the national anthem 'to remove themselves from the circumstance'. .

Offensive tackle Alejandro Villanueva, however, wanted to exercise HIS right to go out, stand, and put his hand over his heart in respect to the flag. Villanueva, by the way, served his country as an Army Ranger and, respectfully, he wanted no part of a team 'show of unity' by disrespecting the flag.

To Villanueva, to stay in the locker room during the anthem was pretty much the same as taking a knee on the sideline. So, he, on his own, came out and honored the flag. Tomlin 'took a swipe' at him when talking to the media for not joining with his team in protest.

Umm, I thought the point was players should not be maligned for their choices, Coach Tomlin? Or maybe you were saying loyalty to team is more important to country?

Kudos to Villanueva for standing up and putting nation / patriotism over 'team solidarity' when, in his opinion, what they were doing was the wrong move...at least it was for him.

1506295858144.jpg

:clap: :happy-1: :mm: :rock: :salute: :thewave: :eusa_clap: :bow3: :clap2:

Forum List

Back