My problem with the NFL re: National Anthem

Your problem with the NFL re: the National Anthem is exactly the same as every dumbass rube's problem. You don't understand what the protest is about and you don't understand what the flag represents.

Saying "there are other ways to protest" is really stupid and fails to recognize the importanct role that protests play in our society.

Maybe, but you are also slapping in the face all those that fight/fought for our country and built it. Whether that is your intent or not

No. That is false. Silly put, they fought PRECISELY SO THESE PROTESTS CAN BE POSSIBLE.

Shit. This isn't that hard to understand.

I'm with Voltaire on this but tell me; am I not allowed to have my say on their actions? And act accordingly......within the Law of course. (Disclaimer: I am not a yank but this affects us wherever we are).

Greg

Of course you can have your say. Who has suggested otherwise?
Yourself by saying that President Trump was out of line to have his say.

Greg

Hmmm. First, I've never said he should not have his say. You might be confused.

I think what he has said is wrongheaded and divisive. He's doing the opposite of what a leader should do.

There is some debate about whether or not his demanding that people be fired violates some statute. But I've not spoken on that one way or the other.

Voltaire's admonition is on life support, if not dead.

As is E Pluribus Unum.

Hmm. I wonder if that's a coincidence.

While on life support I will yet adhere to his sentiments...as paraphrased as well as he intended.

Greg

Your problem with the NFL re: the National Anthem is exactly the same as every dumbass rube's problem. You don't understand what the protest is about and you don't understand what the flag represents.

Saying "there are other ways to protest" is really stupid and fails to recognize the importanct role that protests play in our society.

Maybe, but you are also slapping in the face all those that fight/fought for our country and built it. Whether that is your intent or not
You're putting your own meaning into what they did, which had nothing to do with what you think it does. And I bet that if it had been some white hero like Tom Brady taking a knee, everyone would have said "Oh, how brave". H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-T-E.

What? What utter nonsense!! Despite the hypotheticals why would one accept ANYBODY not respecting the Flag and Anthem? So do tell; what exactly are they protesting about?

Greg
Google it, you wouldn't believe me anyways.

BTW, if anything, Kap disrespected the anthem (which was playing), not the flag. It wasn't a flag ceremony, it was the singing of the national anthem. Now you know.

O say can you see, by the dawn’s early light,
What so proudly we hail’d at the twilight’s last gleaming,
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight
O’er the ramparts we watch’d were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket’s red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there,
O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

You seem to have forgotten the MEANING of the song.

Greg
It's the song of the nation, the national anthem, you're over-thinking this, it was a protest against the country, not its flag.

Per the NFL rulebook:

1. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country.
Why do you not respect the flag or our country. Our country is the people. There are other ways to show your discontent with the President. People take not standing up for the flag as an insult on the United States as a unit. It makes people feel that you don't want to be here or don't like the unit as a whole (not just the administration) - and there are a lot of people that worked hard to build the US that are still alive today. There are a lot of people young and old that have risked their lives for the United States.
STFU you fucking hypocrite, I bet you've NEVER stood up at home when you hear a national anthem.

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

No. That is false. Silly put, they fought PRECISELY SO THESE PROTESTS CAN BE POSSIBLE.

I'm with Voltaire on this but tell me; am I not allowed to have my say on their actions? And act accordingly......within the Law of course. (Disclaimer: I am not a yank but this affects us wherever we are).

Greg

Greg

I think what he has said is wrongheaded and divisive. He's doing the opposite of what a leader should do.

There is some debate about whether or not his demanding that people be fired violates some statute. But I've not spoken on that one way or the other.

Not at all. He has stated that showing disrespect to the Anthem publicly is WRONG. I agree with him. I have severe reservations about our own insipid Anthem but it is what it is; no way would I disrespect it. It is disgusting of Kapo and Co to be doing this.

Greg

Not at all. He has stated that showing disrespect to the Anthem publicly is WRONG. I agree with him. I have severe reservations about our own insipid Anthem but it is what it is; no way would I disrespect it. It is disgusting of Kapo and Co to be doing this.

No, what is disgusting is police officers shoot unarmed black people and generally get away with it.

That's what's disgusting. Not someone refusing to stand for a song in protest.

Per the NFL rulebook:

1. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country.
Why do you not respect the flag or our country. Our country is the people. There are other ways to show your discontent with the President. People take not standing up for the flag as an insult on the United States as a unit. It makes people feel that you don't want to be here or don't like the unit as a whole (not just the administration) - and there are a lot of people that worked hard to build the US that are still alive today. There are a lot of people young and old that have risked their lives for the United States.
STFU you fucking hypocrite, I bet you've NEVER stood up at home when you hear a national anthem.

At least the Chinese don't sit around drinking tea and complaining about all the other people who don't stand when they drink tea. :biggrin:

Per the NFL rulebook:

I'm usually not watching the game when it's being played, but, no, I would not you are correct. But when I am at the events I always do (and I also sing along, which I'm sure is QUITE offensive to those around me!)
So you're a hypocrite. Now you know.

Where does the NFL rule book say that fans at home stand when the national anthem is played on TV?

My local radio station plays it at 6am every day. Am I supposed to stop on the interstate, get out of my car, and stand at attention with my hand over my heart?

Greg

Greg

A suggestion is not a demand and frankly they'd be fired if I was their boss on the grounds of bringing the game into disrepute.

Greg

Per the NFL rulebook:

At least the Chinese don't sit around drinking tea and complaining about all the other people who don't stand when they drink tea. :biggrin:

Did you wake up this morning with the intent to be an asshole? If not, you succeeded anyway!

Per the NFL rulebook:

I'm usually not watching the game when it's being played, but, no, I would not you are correct. But when I am at the events I always do (and I also sing along, which I'm sure is QUITE offensive to those around me!)

Where does the NFL rule book say that fans at home stand when the national anthem is played on TV?

My local radio station plays it at 6am every day. Am I supposed to stop on the interstate, get out of my car, and stand at attention with my hand over my heart?

Fortunately I have a sunroof. I might look a bit funny doing it but...........

Greg

Like everyone, people have a right to NOT do things. To say what they want.
But also, there are consequences, so, if you are willing to endure them, fine.

Just like committing crimes. You have a right to commit them. But you also have the consequence of going to jail.

Um, no, there is no right to commit a crime.

There is a right to protest government policies you don't like.

Now, yeah, the owners could fire these guys. They'd be in violation of union contracts and would have to pay out a lot of money, but they could do that.
  1. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.
It's never happened and players are routinely in the dressing room during the anthem getting something fixed... tending to an injury... taking a dump...

So you have been peeking? That's disgusting!

Per the NFL rulebook:

Then don't complain when others don't either.

Per the NFL rulebook:

Did you wake up this morning with the intent to be an asshole? If not, you succeeded anyway!
You couldn't dispute what I said so you turned to a personal attack. Your concession is duly noted.

No, what is disgusting is police officers shoot unarmed black people and generally get away with it.

That's what's disgusting. Not someone refusing to stand for a song in protest.

Cases please. You know the courts dealt with them. Any cases where there is a lack of evidence leads to acquittal. No doubt some have got away with murder but then again so did OJ.

Greg

Per the NFL rulebook:

Please show me anywhere that is a requirement in the privacy of your own home.

When traveling on Army posts, I have to do this very thing, and some of those are just bugle calls!

Please show me anywhere that is a requirement in the privacy of your own home.

When traveling on Army posts, I have to do this very thing, and some of those are just bugle calls!
Please show me the punishment all those players got when they knelt last sunday. None you say? Then it's not a requirement.

Forum List

Back