My Printer Isn't Working - Help!!!!

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
We are operating two computers on a wireless network. In between the two computers sits a router (wireless) and a printer. Either computer can use the printer because the printer is shared between them via the wireless network.

All of a sudden, I can no longer use the printer. My wife's computer can - mine cannot. When I try to print anything from any program, I get "Failure to initialize output device" or something like that.

I am running Vista Home. I know how to get into the network settings via the Control Panel. I have been trying everything I can think of to get the printer working, but so far no luck. I am wondering if anyone out there might be able to give me a hint or two.

I compared the network settings on my wife's computer to those on mine. One difference I noted was that in the settings screen, "password sharing" was not checked and it was checked on mine. So I unchecked password sharing on my computer, thinking that was the difference. It wasn't.

Everything has been going along just fine for the past year or so - then, all of a sudden, my printer became unconnected from the network. I need to get that little bad boy reconnected, so I can resume operations.

Help!!!!

You may want to re-boot the router by unplugging it for a few moments. But don't quote me on it LOL.

I didn't try that - I will. When I try to print something and I get that screen that you hit to start the printer, I can see that the settings appear to be totally correct, i.e., the default printer for my word processing program is the same as the default printer for my wife's computer and, as I mentioned, she can print just fine on her computer.

I tried rebooting my computer, several times. That had no effect. I will reboot the router when I get home. Thank you.

We've had similar a experience. Try unplugging and replugging the printer and all the cables . . . sometimes it's just a loose connection. When this has happened to us, if the problem wasn't a loose plug or something and everything else seemed as it should, we uninstalled then reinstalled the printer and that fixed the problem. Good luck.

When all else fails George, kick the printer and the router :lol:

Other then whats been already said, reboots of everything and unplugging of everything i don't know.

Maybe a group hug? :)

The only thing that is not working on the network is the printer on my computer. You can print from my wife's compluter. Both computers have Internet access. This inidicates to me that rebooting of the router might not be necessary.

Thoughts?

The only thing that is not working on the network is the printer on my computer. You can print from my wife's compluter. Both computers have Internet access. This inidicates to me that rebooting of the router might not be necessary.

Thoughts?

After you glue it back together....:lol: reinstall the printer on the machine it won't print from...see if it even shows up in your available printers window. Click on printers and faxes...see what shows up

You should uninstall and then reinstall the printer on your computer, making sure that your driver is up to date. It sounds to me like the driver got corrupted on your computer. Nothing to worry about unless it happens again.

You should uninstall and then reinstall the printer on your computer, making sure that your driver is up to date. It sounds to me like the driver got corrupted on your computer. Nothing to worry about unless it happens again.

Also check your firewall settings, especially if you just did an update. Make sure your printer is authorized.

We are operating two computers on a wireless network. In between the two computers sits a router (wireless) and a printer. Either computer can use the printer because the printer is shared between them via the wireless network.

All of a sudden, I can no longer use the printer. My wife's computer can - mine cannot. When I try to print anything from any program, I get "Failure to initialize output device" or something like that.

I am running Vista Home. I know how to get into the network settings via the Control Panel. I have been trying everything I can think of to get the printer working, but so far no luck. I am wondering if anyone out there might be able to give me a hint or two.

I compared the network settings on my wife's computer to those on mine. One difference I noted was that in the settings screen, "password sharing" was not checked and it was checked on mine. So I unchecked password sharing on my computer, thinking that was the difference. It wasn't.

Everything has been going along just fine for the past year or so - then, all of a sudden, my printer became unconnected from the network. I need to get that little bad boy reconnected, so I can resume operations.

Help!!!!

Is there any way you could go to the WhiteHouse and give them some advice on how to "disconnect" the Treasury's Printers from the network?

Also check your firewall settings, especially if you just did an update. Make sure your printer is authorized.

I am suspicious of that one. Are you talking about my Windows firewall or my virus program (McAfee) firewall - or both?

I am suspicious of that one. Are you talking about my Windows firewall or my virus program (McAfee) firewall - or both?

If you are using both then definitely both. Turn off the Windows firewall and check the settings in the McAfee firewall.

How do I make sure my printer is authorized in my firewall settings? I am able to get into my firewall settings for both McAfee and Windows, but, once there, I don't know how to determine whether or not my printer is authorized.

Thoughts?

And as a side issue - what does my printer software have to do with a firewall? I am not going onto the Internet with any portion of my printer software, so what's to protect my computer from? I thought the purpose of a firewall was to keep unwanted and malicious programs from getting onto my computer from the Internet.

Last edited:
The easiest thing to do is turn off your firewall and see if the printer works then. If it does the problem is the firewall, it it doesn't then you need to do more work.

I dunno, but I think you are supposed to turn off your windows firewall if you are using Norton or another antivirus program because they conflict.

The newer printers can automatically connect to the internet on their own.

First of all George, if You're sitting behind a router, you have no need of any other firewalls, turn them ALL of on BOTH computers. firewalls can do weird things.

Second, can you visually see the printer on the network from your computer?

We'll go from there

I have turned off both firewalls. Printer still won't work.

The printer had been working fine on both computers for months. My problem started three days ago, when I tried to print a CD label from a freeware program I had downloaded a month or so before. This (three days ago) was the first time I had tried to print anything with this program. When I tried to print, nothing happened. No error message - just nothing happened.

So I went to WordPerfect, just to see, and tried to print something from there. That is when I got the error message: "Error initializing output device." From that point on, whenever I try to print anything from any program, I get that same error message.

So I uninstalled the CD label printing program. Printer still won't work.

This is one thing I will never understand about computers - how everything will work just fine with a program or a piece of hardware for months and months and then, all of a sudden, for no reason at all and when you have done NOTHING to effectuate any change in any settings, the program or piece of hardware won't work any more. Drives me flipping nuts.

First of all George, if You're sitting behind a router, you have no need of any other firewalls, turn them ALL of on BOTH computers. firewalls can do weird things.

Are you totally sure about that?

OK - Start Button/Control Panel/Network and Internet/View Network Status and Tasks/View Computers and Devices

This gets me to a screen where the left hand side of the screen shows the tree structure of my Network folder, which is under my Desktop folder. The Network folder looks like this:

Network/Mike-PC/Printers

Under the Printers folder are three items: Add Printer, Epson Stylus Photo R320(M) and Quicken PDF Printer.

Both the Epson and Quicken printers are offline.

Now comes the tricky part. Even if the Epson printer was online, I don't think it would work, because the guy who set up the network listed the printer as:

MARILYN-PC\Epson Stylus Photo R320(M)

and had it in the network under that listing for both computers.

So that's where we stand. Oh yes - one might think I should double click on Add Printer, hunt down the MARILYN-PC\Epson Stylus Photo R320(M) designation somewhere (God knows where that would be) and then add it. But, when I double click on Add Printer, I get a message that says: "You do not have sufficient rights to perform this operation." Remember - I am running Vista Home Premium. I know about right clicking and selecting "Open as Administrator," but when I right click on Add Printer, the Open as Administrator option isn't there.

Thoughts?

Are you totally sure about that?

OK - Start Button/Control Panel/Network and Internet/View Network Status and Tasks/View Computers and Devices

This gets me to a screen where the left hand side of the screen shows the tree structure of my Network folder, which is under my Desktop folder. The Network folder looks like this:

Network/Mike-PC/Printers

Under the Printers folder are three items: Add Printer, Epson Stylus Photo R320(M) and Quicken PDF Printer.

Both the Epson and Quicken printers are offline.

Now comes the tricky part. Even if the Epson printer was online, I don't think it would work, because the guy who set up the network listed the printer as:

MARILYN-PC\Epson Stylus Photo R320(M)

and had it in the network under that listing for both computers.

So that's where we stand. Oh yes - one might think I should double click on Add Printer, hunt down the MARILYN-PC\Epson Stylus Photo R320(M) designation somewhere (God knows where that would be) and then add it. But, when I double click on Add Printer, I get a message that says: "You do not have sufficient rights to perform this operation." Remember - I am running Vista Home Premium. I know about right clicking and selecting "Open as Administrator," but when I right click on Add Printer, the Open as Administrator option isn't there.

Thoughts?

Yes, I'm sure. just make sure the firewall on your router is enabled. if you don't know how to do that , open your web browser, and type in 192.168.2.1 in the address bar, that will take you to your router's wepage, usually there are a few that use a different default page if this doesn't work for you let me know and I'll give you a different address to try, find the firewall tab and make sure it's on. Seriously windows firewalls are both useless and troublesome.

As to your second problem. Why is the printer have a different name on your iwife's pc then you own. That shouldn't be??

I'll answer the rest in PM, this could be complicated.

Forum List

Back