my pledge.....care to join?

rikules

fighting thugs and cons
Feb 16, 2010
I pledge to NEVER endorse or condone violence against other Americans for political reasons.

I pledge to use the ballot box and debate as the ONLY tools to engage in political discourse.

If I believe the country needs change then I will ONLY use debate and the ballot box to attempt that change.

I pledge to NEVER endorse or condone violence against other Americans for political reasons.

I pledge to use the ballot box and debate as the ONLY tools to engage in political discourse.

If I believe the country needs change then I will ONLY use debate and the ballot box to attempt that change.

Rik-o, this is what I always say about you: you have the best of intentions and a good heart.

What you suggest in pretty much the behavior of folks like you...but where does it lead?
Does "NEVER endorse or condone violence" imply any sort of restrictions on speech?

Would you find the following as examples of breaking your pledge, and would you be inclined to ban examples such as:

1. a politician states that that he'll "strangle" members of the opposition party?

2. or suggesting that political opposition should be "hand-to-hand combat"

3. or the politician firing up his supporters with "I'm hope you're ready to fight,"

4. or a politician using a rifle to shoot a hole through a copy of legislation with which he disagrees?

5. or claiming that the plan for debate should be framed as “If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun,”

And if your plan does not include restrictions on speech, then what is your view, as physical assault is currently illegal.

Rik-o, this is what I always say about you: you have the best of intentions and a good heart.

What you suggest in pretty much the behavior of folks like you...but where does it lead?
Does "NEVER endorse or condone violence" imply any sort of restrictions on speech?

Would you find the following as examples of breaking your pledge, and would you be inclined to ban examples such as:

1. a politician states that that he'll "strangle" members of the opposition party?

2. or suggesting that political opposition should be "hand-to-hand combat"

3. or the politician firing up his supporters with "I'm hope you're ready to fight,"

4. or a politician using a rifle to shoot a hole through a copy of legislation with which he disagrees?

5. or claiming that the plan for debate should be framed as “If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun,”

And if your plan does not include restrictions on speech, then what is your view, as physical assault is currently illegal.

Not a restriction on speech, PC. Just a loss of support. Nobody is suggesting we can legislate common sense, or manners.

That's the way we've always done it kool aid drinker.

I just don't like the idea of speech police.

I myself don't use that kind of noise.

Why not pledge that you will condemn and respond to all equally? That you are for real about this? That you will condemn all the nasty about Rush and Sarah as well, which you just posted in another thread?

No. I'm not going to make this pledge.

There are many other forms of legitimate expression: advertising, campaign donations, peaceful protests, speaking out at townhalls, writing letters to representatives, writing a blog, writing letters to the editor...all of which are not technically debates. There's no requirement that one actually be in a position to hear a response to voice one's opinion.

They are, however, Freedom Of Expression.

Last edited:
Just come to that conclusion ricules? where ya been? Care to make a wager that a psychotic doesn't care about your anemic pledges?

Uh huh... real nice... you want my spine and my guns too?

THis is the way of a normal human being, no need for pledges. Sorry.

There certainly IS a need for pledges.

I'll add this: I will forget what has been said till now -- but I won't forgive it again. I expect ALL public officials to clean up their acts and if they don't, I will bitch.

Pledges are easily broken and bitching is a waste of time. Until some brave soul acts and others follow we're basically spinning our wheels. I guess it keeps us off the streets. We're basically voyeurs and commentators. ( as opposed to special 'taters )

I will pledge to condem violent speech from all sides.

No more gun imagery.

No more talking about physical harm or death in referance to a candidate.

easy to do for some.

Impossible to do for others

Forum List

Back