My photos of a templar historical reconstitution in my région Vienne/France

OALvf1BYniE.jpg
Europe in a near futur ?

Why not? At least, it could be very interesting...
Some peoples i know like the templar for one reason that the way Europe is going in the same direction that the history of the templar

To wear one of these heavy suits of armor and carry a broadsword, you had to be in very good physical condition. And to then fight in battle wearing all this. That is no small feet of conditioning, they had to be in incredible physical shape to do these things.

To wear one of these heavy suits of armor and carry a broadsword, you had to be in very good physical condition. And to then fight in battle wearing all this. That is no small feet of conditioning, they had to be in incredible physical shape to do these things.
Yes, every year there is templar historical reconstitution it is in August and the temperature is very hot so those one who make the reconstitution are really in good condition as well with the Weight of Armor

Not to mention schlepping it all on foot from Paris to Jerusalem. And, hopefully, back.

Not to mention schlepping it all on foot from Paris to Jerusalem. And, hopefully, back.
Welcome the new one to USMB, Do not hesitate to add your contribution to my trhead ^^

Welcome the new one to USMB, Do not hesitate to add your contribution to my trhead ^^
Merci! My undergraduate is in Medieval Europe so I am drawn to photos like this like a moth to flame. I particularly enjoyed your breakdown of helmets earlier.

Merci! My undergraduate is in Medieval Europe so I am drawn to photos like this like a moth to flame. I particularly enjoyed your breakdown of helmets earlier.
You prefer one helmet more then the others ?

I can't imagine having gone into battle with a flat-topped helmet; it just seems like it would direct all of the force of an overhead strike to the wearer's chin and collarbone. Ouch. Their only advantage, I think, was that they were quicker and cheaper to make. Even worse would be to have a giant metal sculpture welded to the top; one *whack* to that and your head gets cranked sideways. Double ouch.

In my reenactment and swordfighting days, I wore a version of a spangenhelm with a face guard - it wasn't totally historically accurate but I had taken enough hits to the nose and eye socket that it was worth it, and it still allowed me to see (mostly) and hear. I feel sorry for the crusaders and soldiers who wore barbutes, bascinets, or sallets; the ones I wore always felt like I was wearing a soup pot, or a diving helmet, making it hard to hear orders and other combatants. Really I think I would have most preferred a simple mail coif; my ancestor William Marshal is often depicted (including in his effigy) just wearing a coif, although I imagine when it became Showtime! he would at least put on a simple round cereal bowl, again for deflection's sake.

Aesthetically, I do like the later armets and great bascinets, especially the ones with the rounded skulls. They're such beauties of engineering.

I can't imagine having gone into battle with a flat-topped helmet; it just seems like it would direct all of the force of an overhead strike to the wearer's chin and collarbone. Ouch. Their only advantage, I think, was that they were quicker and cheaper to make. Even worse would be to have a giant metal sculpture welded to the top; one *whack* to that and your head gets cranked sideways. Double ouch.

In my reenactment and swordfighting days, I wore a version of a spangenhelm with a face guard - it wasn't totally historically accurate but I had taken enough hits to the nose and eye socket that it was worth it, and it still allowed me to see (mostly) and hear. I feel sorry for the crusaders and soldiers who wore barbutes, bascinets, or sallets; the ones I wore always felt like I was wearing a soup pot, or a diving helmet, making it hard to hear orders and other combatants. Really I think I would have most preferred a simple mail coif; my ancestor William Marshal is often depicted (including in his effigy) just wearing a coif, although I imagine when it became Showtime! he would at least put on a simple round cereal bowl, again for deflection's sake.

Aesthetically, I do like the later armets and great bascinets, especially the ones with the rounded skulls. They're such beauties of engineering.

It seems that someone wearing a suit of armor would have to be protected and never fight alone. Up against two or three people alone and they could push it over rather easily and no doubt getting back up was no easy chore. Are there any manuals written at the time on how they actually fought in combat on foot?

It seems that someone wearing a suit of armor would have to be protected and never fight alone. Up against two or three people alone and they could push it over rather easily and no doubt getting back up was no easy chore. Are there any manuals written at the time on how they actually fought in combat on foot?

Knights could regain their feet quite easily. Requiring help to get up is a myth. Jousting plate is the exception, that armor was heavy, and while it was articulated, it didn't have a great deal of movement built into the joints so in that one case knights were required to get help mounting their destriers. In battle though, they would wear their regular armor and that is very mobile. A single knight on horseback could take on an entire village and win unless the villagers had a great deal of luck, and men who had been in battle before.

They also had the musculature of someone who spent their entire life working out. Imagine indestructible professional athletes and you've got a pretty good idea; they were neither easy to take down nor did they have a hard time getting up.

The way they finally figured out how to defeat a fully armored man - a tactic used to terrible effect at Agincourt in 1415 - was to swarm him with peasants, who would then use long, slim daggers called misericordes to slide into the weak spots like the eyes, armpits, or (yikes) groin. The probably with this was that the first few in were likely to chew some steel, so there was often a bit of understandable apprehension before they went in. The psychological effect was not unlike WWII era soldiers being attacked by a tank, and that was for *one* armored soldier, on foot.

Forum List

Back