My parents 59 years ago

sitarro

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2003
USA
This is a shot I just retouched from a 59 year old photo . My parents were married for 57 years until my Dad passed away the morning after their anniversary . My mother is still married to my Dad , there isn't anyone else for her . I thought this photo could be an inspiration to all of you married ones , I know their love has inspired me .

Boy.. That must make him *really* old (Sitarro). :D:D

Very nice pic, tho..

How beautiful!! Hope my kids have a pic and a story like that for us someday!!!

What a handsome couple. I love your mother's hat; quite stylish.
My grandparents were married 51 years before Grandpa died. I tho't that was remarkable. And recently I met a woman who'd been married for 54 years. She, and also a friend of hers who'd been married for about 50 years say the same thing. There is no other man that will ever replace their husband. Now that's love!

Joz said:
My grandparents were married 51 years before Grandpa died. I tho't that was remarkable. And recently I met a woman who'd been married for 54 years. She, and also a friend of hers who'd been married for about 50 years say the same thing. There is no other man that will ever replace their husband. Now that's love!
Amazing!
My grandparents just celebrated their 58 years last Tuesday. Only knew each other 3 weeks. Now that's some serious stickin' with it, LOL!

UsaPride said:
Amazing!
My grandparents just celebrated their 58 years last Tuesday. Only knew each other 3 weeks.
You know, that's a long time to look at the same face every day at the breakfast table.

Joz said:
You know, that's a long time to look at the same face every day at the breakfast table.

Isn't that what they invented newspapers for? :)

Joz said:
dont see that now days. it seems some get married jsut to get a divorce. my parents are heading to 39 or 40, i forget. personally i think i might get sick of someone after tht long. but what do i know, i want to live in a cave most of the time

no1tovote4 said:
Did you ever ask them what it was like to live when the world was in black and white?

Hell , I remember watching The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show . We had a tiny black and white television . Somehow I bet you were refering to somethng deeper than that .

sitarro said:
Hell , I remember watching The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show . We had a tiny black and white television . Somehow I bet you were refering to somethng deeper than that .

No, it was a question that I remember asking my parents when I was a kid. I also asked my mother what it was like to cross the prairie in a covered wagon. It never occurred to me when I was 4 that Mom might have ever been younger than she was.

Of course when they all started laughing, it sure was embarrasing! :eek:

:D

sitarro said:
Let's hope so. But No1 is still a babe. I remember ol' Ed, too.....but I was young. We use to get a pizza on Sunday nite & watch the show.

no1tovote4 said:
No, it was a question that I remember asking my parents when I was a kid. I also asked my mother what it was like to cross the prairie in a covered wagon. It never occurred to me when I was 4 that Mom might have ever been younger than she was.

Of course when they all started laughing, it sure was embarrasing! :eek:

:D
hell i do that now just to mess with my mom!

no1tovote4 said:
It never occurred to me when I was 4...... it sure was embarrasing!

My mother told this story: I was about this same age. We were in a crowded grocery store, she was in line. I came running up to her with a large box of a feminine hygiene product, shouting, "Do you want these for your hiney"?

I remember thinking that everything in the Soviet Union was black & white , that is all you ever saw out of there on film , all of their cars were black and the same. I remember being very surprised when I saw an article in National Geographic that showed Russia in color . They even had good looking women!
My mother has told me about being extremely poor when she was a child . Her father died of Lock-Jaw when she was 4 and she had to quit school in 6th grade to get a job to help feed the family . The Catholic church helped her family out with money and food . . . . Tough times !
Our family was a Catholic , Air Force family . Six kids (Catholic , the Pope is still saying birth control is a no no) on a Captain's salary was hard I'm sure , I really didn't notice . I thought the other kids were just very rich . I am in the middle so I got a lot of hand me downs .
Now I see kids with BMWs and cell phones that think they have it rough , they should be the happiest generation so far .
Another funny thing my mother told me . . .We were transfered to Duluth , Minnesota when I was 3 weeks old . When I was 3 we were driving down to Louisiana to visit my grandmother and stopped at a gas station on the way . A black man came to the car to pump the gas and when I saw him I burst out crying . . . I had never seen a black person before and freaked out . Very different times.

sitarro said:
A black man came to the car to pump the gas and when I saw him I burst out crying . . . I had never seen a black person before and freaked out . Very different times.

When I was stationed in Korea, our company radioman and I went into this small Korean village in the middle of nowhere (we were attached at the time to a Korean Army unit). He was black and kids would come up to him and try to "rub" the black off of him. It was so funny. He just laughed at it too. The Korean Army officer with us told us that in that part of Korea (at that time) they had hardly seen Americans, much less a black-American.

freeandfun1 said:
When I was stationed in Korea, our company radioman and I went into this small Korean village in the middle of nowhere (we were attached at the time to a Korean Army unit). He was black and kids would come up to him and try to "rub" the black off of him. It was so funny. He just laughed at it too. The Korean Army officer with us told us that in that part of Korea (at that time) they had hardly seen Americans, much less a black-American.

The military has had a profound effect on race relations . My Dad was from the deep south and was put in his place early on by an old black man when he heard my dad use the word ****** (my dad was 12 and working at the theater with this man). The man asked him if he could find that word in the dictionary , he couldn't , it made a huge impression on him and he became good friends with that old guy . When he joined the Air Force he ran into guys of every race , he got to know them , learned from them and depend on them .
He raised us to know that we were all the same and to judge people on their actions not how they look . I think that the military takes people out of their safe zones and throws them into the real world and forces some who have never known others of different races to not only meet but get to know each other on a different level . Obviously things are different than they were in the 20s when my dad was a kid but I think that there is still a positive effect .

sitarro said:
The military has had a profound effect on race relations . My Dad was from the deep south and was put in his place early on by an old black man when he heard my dad use the word ****** (my dad was 12 and working at the theater with this man). The man asked him if he could find that word in the dictionary , he couldn't , it made a huge impression on him and he became good friends with that old guy . When he joined the Air Force he ran into guys of every race , he got to know them , learned from them and depend on them .
He raised us to know that we were all the same and to judge people on their actions not how they look . I think that the military takes people out of their safe zones and throws them into the real world and forces some who have never known others of different races to not only meet but get to know each other on a different level . Obviously things are different than they were in the 20s when my dad was a kid but I think that there is still a positive effect .

I agree. I grew up in a community in Texas that was about 80 - 85% white and the rest were Mexicans. I never really had been around blacks until I went into the Army. I also didn't have any pre-disposition to being anti-black. In basic, I started to think that all the stereo-types were right, but as things went along, I realize and learned that just as there are good and bad whites, there are good and bad blacks.

The Army did a lot of good for me. The most important good being exposing me to different cultures, races, etc. I really enjoyed my time in, but I was glad to get out. I suggest the military to any kids that are "lost" and trying to figure out what they want from life.

Forum List

Back