My Paintings

A shop $Capri.JPG

This painting caught my eye. Reminded me of the works of Edward Hopper. "Self portrait at Mt. Etna". OK, clue me in: What is the deal with this figure’s feet? Just curious.
Edward Hopper is most definitely my very favorite American Painter...his Chiaro sciuro style is amazing...As for your question on the feet...not sure.

Last edited:
$Murphy two 001.JPGLittle Buddy passed, So I did a portrait for his Mommy.

Key West, Florida 36X36

If I may offer a bit of constructive criticism. There is a problem with perspective. I have the same problem so I sympathize. The fence is correctly getting smaller as it goes into the distance, but it appears to levitate as it goes. The shorter the fence posts the higher it is off the ground. It might be a problem with the angle making it look like the fence is going up instead of going further away. The fence isn't grounded at all giving the appearance of floating just above the surface.

Also, you have a shadow cast by the big tree indicating a light source coming from the right. But, it's the only shadow in the whole picture. The trees on the left, the car and even the fence would also be casting shadows to the left.

I only recognize these because I've made the same mistakes myself.

I made the same mistake here. The shadows cast by the plants over the walk way are correct, but I should have had a shadow cast by the boat too and completely missed it. The picture has already been sold so I can't fix it now and recognized the error too late.

A trick I used to teach my students is to look at a painting upside down or in a mirror. I don't sell my originals any more but, years ago, I was standing at the counter at the framer when I looked down at my upside down painting and saw an error I couldn't let go. I took the painting home and changed it before framing and delivering it to the buyer.

Key West, Florida 36X36

If I may offer a bit of constructive criticism. There is a problem with perspective. I have the same problem so I sympathize. The fence is correctly getting smaller as it goes into the distance, but it appears to levitate as it goes. The shorter the fence posts the higher it is off the ground. It might be a problem with the angle making it look like the fence is going up instead of going further away. The fence isn't grounded at all giving the appearance of floating just above the surface.

Also, you have a shadow cast by the big tree indicating a light source coming from the right. But, it's the only shadow in the whole picture. The trees on the left, the car and even the fence would also be casting shadows to the left.

I made the same mistake here. The shadows cast by the plants over the walk way are correct, but I should have had a shadow cast by the boat too and completely missed it. The picture has already been sold so I can't fix it now and recognized the error too late.

A trick I used to teach my students is to look at a painting upside down or in a mirror. I don't sell my originals any more but, years ago, I was standing at the counter at the framer when I looked down at my upside down painting and saw an error I couldn't let go. I took the painting home and changed it before framing and delivering it to the buyer.

Exactly...when I'm struggling with a particular drawing, I often put the canvas up-side down and just look for the shapes usually through negative space...you will see any problems...

Alas, I'm lazy.

Exactly...when I'm struggling with a particular drawing, I often put the canvas up-side down and just look for the shapes usually through negative space...you will see any problems...

Alas, I'm lazy.

Another trick I use is to prop it up where I will see it, first thing when I walk into my studio. If there's something that's not quite right, it will often jump out at me.

You do nice work. Thanks for sharing it.

A real quick sketch/ wash of my daughter Alice...$al.jpg

Forum List

Back