My own son!

Liability

Locked Account.
Jun 28, 2009
Mansion in Ravi's Head
It will be of no major interst to most of you to learn this, but I'm proud of my son and am going to do a little tiny bit of crowing.

He just took a "test" for his first promotion (white belt to "high white" belt, which is the pre-yellow belt) at his Tae Kwon Do class. The master is a very cool guy. His instructors are also pretty damn cool. My son is a terrific kid, but does have some issues to work through. And they gave him tons of support and almost no static. But they did make him sweat through the first couple of months worth of lessons. The kid never worked that hard before. And he learned his "basic" and his first advanced "form" (the series of technical moves, blocks and punches, etc) and performed them quite well. Plus, he broke his first board with one good punch! :clap2:

He is not willing to brag. He likes to internalize such things. But you can virtually SEE that he's just bustin' with pride. And I am damn proud of him at the moment.

It will be of no major interst to most of you to learn this, but I'm proud of my son and am going to do a little tiny bit of crowing.

He just took a "test" for his first promotion (white belt to "high white" belt, which is the pre-yellow belt) at his Tae Kwon Do class. The master is a very cool guy. His instructors are also pretty damn cool. My son is a terrific kid, but does have some issues to work through. And they gave him tons of support and almost no static. But they did make him sweat through the first couple of months worth of lessons. The kid never worked that hard before. And he learned his "basic" and his first advanced "form" (the series of technical moves, blocks and punches, etc) and performed them quite well. Plus, he broke his first board with one good punch! :clap2:

He is not willing to brag. He likes to internalize such things. But you can virtually SEE that he's just bustin' with pride. And I am damn proud of him at the moment.

good for him. my son studied martial arts and eventually earned his black belt.
it taught him discipline and perseverance, among other things, and he became much more self confident.

kudos to your boy. :thup:

How wonderful!!

Great news. Each of my 3 boys studied TKD and competed, sometimes in neighboring states. Yup - builds confidence and self esteem.

Now if I can just get the daughter enrolled. She's gonna need it. :D

good for him. my son studied martial arts and eventually earned his black belt.
it taught him discipline and perseverance, among other things, and he became much more self confident.

kudos to your boy. :thup:

Thanks. My wife and I had both hoped that we had found something for him to assist him with his other issues. He's a very smart kid, and unusually witty for his age (12), but does suffer from a form of ADD and some quasi-related "stuff" that has dragged him down a bit. Discipline has not been his forte.

And yet, in that class, working VERY hard and literally sweating profusely, he has demonstrated a very new side of his personality. It's a classic "no quit in him" kinda thing. Perseverance is very much the right term.

Because of my old-man type knee problems, I can't do it with him (but it would otherwise be very good for me, and I could sure use it). All I can do is go there with him and WATCH him grow before my eyes. It's one of the best things my wife and I ever did for the kid. This has been a great day for me because of tonight's display. Thanks for the kind words, del and Dr. House and Terry and Mr. H, etc....

Last edited:
I can tell you worry about your son and really love him. You're doing a good thing for him and don't worry so much Dad, he'll surprise you in a good way one day. You'll look back and think to yourself, "Why on earth was I ever worried".

Not to say it isn't a good thing, it is great that you look for solutions to better your son's growth and your heart is just busting out with pride and so it should.

Great job Dad!

He just took a "test" for his first promotion (white belt to "high white" belt, which is the pre-yellow belt) at his Tae Kwon Do class.

So, essentially is it a cream colored belt?

Or maybe a light khaki?

If he's a good student, he will learn all the Tae Kwon Do's and Tae Kwon Don't, and eventially master his art.

He just took a "test" for his first promotion (white belt to "high white" belt, which is the pre-yellow belt) at his Tae Kwon Do class.

So, essentially is it a cream colored belt?

Or maybe a light khaki?

If he's a good student, he will learn all the Tae Kwon Do's and Tae Kwon Don't, and eventially master his art.

:)

Close. High white is white with a thin yellow band or stripe running through the middle. It is white on top and on bottom.

Then comes the yellow belt.

Next comes the "high yellow belt." The high yellow belt has yellow on top on bottom with the stripe through the middle being green.

Naturally, the next level is green.

And so on.

I believe other "schools" structure the belts differently as do other martial arts.

Forum List

Back